MERGED ----> Definitive collection tracklisting predictions/discussions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Niceman said:

Peace on Earth should have been a strong song. It would have been - if Bono had been angry, spitting angry when he sang it. I was hoping that was what would happen live, but they never played the whole song live.

new york is crap.

They rehearsed the whole song though. Based on what you are saying you would have been disappointed with the live version. Vocally from what I have heard it was similiar to the the studio one.

I agree on New York. Alot of people loved it live, but it just never hit me as a great song.

L - Beautiful Day
E - Still haven't found what I'm looking for
T - Pride
S - With or Without you
G - Vertigo
O - One
T - Mysterious ways
O - Stuck in a moment you can't get out of
H - Where the Streets have no name
O - New Years Day
N - Sunday Bloody Sunday
O - Sweetest thing
L - Desire
U - Sometimes you can't make it on your own
L - Elevation
U -Walk on

worst compilation EVER

no Boy
no October
no Zooropa
no POP :mad:

the sweetest thing my ass :madspit:

Blue Room said:

I agree on New York. Alot of people loved it live, but it just never hit me as a great song.

Similar here , but it doesn't make it bad , there are some live versions which the end is stunning , Edge plays some wicked angry solos , the thing of it is I'm still lookin for a definitive live perf , I mean the song got some good guts :

Nice Explorer work , Cool Bass lines , and couple great drums

If I could use at least 4 cuts :

1. I will follow
2. Still Haven't Found...
3. Pride
4. With or Without You
5. Vertigo
6. New Year's Day
7. Mysterious Ways
8. Stay
9. Where the Streets Have No Name
10. Sweetest Thing
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. One
13. Desire
14. Walk On
15. Beautiful Day
16. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Hidden Song :drool: : Gloria :drool: :drool:

Niceman said:

Elevation has silly lyrics....but New York has CRAP lyrics. I see a difference...
I don't know about that. 'Elevation' breaks unsaid rule #1 in lyric writing: never rhyme "sky" with "fly" and "high". As the review at Pitchforkmedia bemoans, blame it on aerodynamics for making "altitude a necessity for flight, in the sky, which happens to be above us."

As for 'New York', I've always thought the signature of the album, the essense of the album, is found at this point:

In the stillness of the evening / When the sun has had its day / I heard your voice a-whispering / Come away child...

U2Man said:
grace is among the most beautiful album-closers u2 has ever made. only aiwiy and love is blindness are comparable.

I agree. Grace grew on me. Initially I thought it was boring but now I love it. That said, I would include MLK in the list of beautiful album closers.

U2Man said:
when i look at the world does sound a bit rough, but has a great guitar bit.

:drool: One of my favorites on the album!

U2Man said:
peace on earth may start off a bit slow, but is a strong song.

I love Peace On Earth! :love:

U2Man said:
only new york is crap, which is completely true.

Have to disagree with you here. The lyrics may be a bit awkward at times but there are some great lines too.. like the one The Slow Loris quoted before. Or the ones echoing 9/11.. voices on a cellphone... voices on a stairwell in new york... religious nuts political fanatics in the stew, happily not like me and you.. that's where I lost you new york :sad: :heart: And except for the very uncomplicated guitar riff, I love the soaring and tumbling music in this song.

ATYCLB :combust:

The Slow Loris said:

I don't know about that. 'Elevation' breaks unsaid rule #1 in lyric writing: never rhyme "sky" with "fly" and "high". As the review at Pitchforkmedia bemoans, blame it on aerodynamics for making "altitude a necessity for flight, in the sky, which happens to be above us."

As for 'New York', I've always thought the signature of the album, the essense of the album, is found at this point:

In the stillness of the evening / When the sun has had its day / I heard your voice a-whispering / Come away child...

I thought it fell flat....which may effect my whole reading of the album itself....

J_NP said:

Similar here , but it doesn't make it bad , there are some live versions which the end is stunning , Edge plays some wicked angry solos , the thing of it is I'm still lookin for a definitive live perf , I mean the song got some good guts :

Nice Explorer work , Cool Bass lines , and couple great drums

I guess I should have been clearer. I dont think New York is a bad song. It just didnt hit me as a great one or anywhere near the best on ATYCLB. Even live, it was OK, but not fantastic to me. Edge's guitar work at the end of it is the only part that sort of saves it for me.

My perspective on ATYCLB is the best songs are:

-Kite
-In A Little While
-Walk On
-Beautiful Day (yeah its overplayed, but it is a good song)
-When I Look At The World (Edge's work is great, although they should have left it with the hard riff like it originally had, I think it could have been a classic and it would have been done live most likely if they had left it.)

Decent songs:

-Elevation (stupid lyrics but its a fun song, live it gets the crowd going)
-Stuck In A Moment (I actually like the Vertigo live version better, although I'm probably the minority on that one)

Average songs:

-Wild Honey
-New York
-Grace (this one is almost in my decent category, I think they should have worked on it a little more and it would have made it there).

Blue Room said:

-Stuck In A Moment (I actually like the Vertigo live version better, although I'm probably the minority on that one)

Agree , acoustic it's got heart and soul really , Anyone who got a acoustic

Try

E A E B C#m A E

It sounds awesome :drool:

Sao Paulo version is FAntastic

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

-Kite
-In A Little While
-Walk On
-When I Look At The World (Edge's work is great, although they should have left it with the hard riff like it originally had, I think it could have been a classic and it would have been done live most likely if they had left it.)

Totally agree with this. Those are all of the good songs on ATYCLB. Sometimes I might be tempted to add Grace if I'm in the right mood though.

There will be something from Pop on this CD. The CDUniverse.com product page for the DVD says:

The first 26 years of U2's career marked an incredible rise to fame. U218 SINGLES gathers 18 of their music videos from this time period, and shows how they evolved from short-haired post-punk upstarts to globe-straddling superstars. Among the highlights are videos culled from huge '80s albums such as RATTLE & HUM and THE JOSHUA TREE, as well as selections from their art-pop albums ACHTUNG BABY and POP, and 21st-century hits from ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND and HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB.

Blue Room said:

I guess I should have been clearer. I dont think New York is a bad song. It just didnt hit me as a great one or anywhere near the best on ATYCLB. Even live, it was OK, but not fantastic to me. Edge's guitar work at the end of it is the only part that sort of saves it for me.

-Kite
-In A Little While
-Walk On

Decent songs:

-Elevation (stupid lyrics but its a fun song, live it gets the crowd going)

Average songs:

-Wild Honey
-New York
-Grace (this one is almost in my decent category, I think they should have worked on it a little more and it would have made it there).
I almost completely agree with your entire post, with the main exception being 'Wild Honey' and 'Elevation'. I would make a one for one switch with those two from their respective categories.

The Slow Loris said:

I almost completely agree with your entire post, with the main exception being 'Wild Honey' and 'Elevation'. I would make a one for one switch with those two from their respective categories.

:yes: And from now on, I will only have to quote your & BlueRoom's posts for my feelings on ATYCLB. :wink:

I don't see them not including I Will Follow in it. I can't.

I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Pride (In the Name of Love)
Where the Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With or Without You
Desire
One
Mysterious Ways
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Vertigo
City of Blinding Lights
Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
The Saints Are Coming
Window in the Sky

Utoo said:

:yes: And from now on, I will only have to quote your & BlueRoom's posts for my feelings on ATYCLB. :wink:

Who would have thought you'd continually agree with a furry little outsider from the forests of Indo?

:wink:

lh_slowloris_replace.jpg

Possible Single Mixes On U2:18

New Year's Day (Edit) - There's various edits from the era and we certainly won't be seeing the complete WAR version since it isn't even performed in concert.

Pride (Extended Single Mix) - Highly unlikely, but I do prefer this lengthier version.

Where The Streets Have No Name (Single Mix) - Features backing vocals from The Edge. Dare I say it, better than the album version, and possibly the definitive version of U2's signature song.

Discotheque (Radio Edit) - In order to save time, we could be "treated" to this clunky, cut-up that made me feel rather ill whenever I heard the track on the radio in '97.

Sweetest Thing (Single Mix) - Duh.

Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix) - The more well known version of the song, although I personally prefer the original on ATYCLB.

Walk On (Single Mix) - If this song is on the compilation, I'm sure we'll be treated to this particular release. It's about on par with the original, someways better - someways worse.

Stuck In A Moment (Video Edit) - Possibly, to save time, we could have the song's ending cut in half, as seen in the football themed music video.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (Faster Version) - There's three (!) sped up mixes of this track that were sent out to radio.

Vertigo (Video Mix) - Not really another mix, but there's a nice dropout in the "and no one gets hurt" in the music video. Perhaps we'll see that here?

Last edited:
greenlight7-11 said:
There will be something from Pop on this CD. The CDUniverse.com product page for the DVD says:

The first 26 years of U2's career marked an incredible rise to fame. U218 SINGLES gathers 18 of their music videos from this time period, and shows how they evolved from short-haired post-punk upstarts to globe-straddling superstars. Among the highlights are videos culled from huge '80s albums such as RATTLE & HUM and THE JOSHUA TREE, as well as selections from their art-pop albums ACHTUNG BABY and POP, and 21st-century hits from ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND and HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB.

The track listing for the DVD won't necessarily be the same as the CD. A lot of times, since a DVD holds a lot more content, they have more material than the CD itself.

So while there might be a video or two of songs from Pop, I doubt it changes anything with the CD itself.

I work for a company that digitise all the videos for artists signed up to Universal and their associated companies i.e. Island, Interscope and Mercury Records. I can tell you the tracklisting for the Definitive Collection is, in no particular order:

Mysterious Ways
Desire
Sweestest Thing
New Years Day
Stuck In A Moment
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Vertigo
One
With Or Without You
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Hvaen't Found What I'm Looking For
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Walk On
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
The Saints Are Coming
Window On The Sky

I also saw The Saints Are Coming video about 2 weeks before any clips were available on the internet.

Utoo their is a bloody video up on youtube that everyone has been ranting and raving about.

Btw
Thanksandy is there any info in Windows on the sky ?

vaz02 said:
Utoo their is a bloody video up on youtube that everyone has been ranting and raving about.

Btw
Thanksandy is there any info in Windows on the sky ?

D'oeth----silly me. Didn't pay attention & thought he was talking about Windows. You'd think I would've seen it at least when I quoted the post... :checksbackinto2ndgradetolearnhowtoread: :wink:

Carry on!

Utoo said:

D'oeth----silly me. Didn't pay attention & thought he was talking about Windows. You'd think I would've seen it at least when I quoted the post... :checksbackinto2ndgradetolearnhowtoread: :wink:

Carry on!

we can always dream for that windows video:drool:

btw
Thanksandy
according to a recent post on another thread there was a image that was a timetable. and on that timetable it said A video for windows on the sky was being shipped to all video stores late OCT, do you know anything about this ?

Mysterious Ways
Desire
Sweestest Thing
New Years Day
Stuck In A Moment
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Vertigo
One
With Or Without You
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Hvaen't Found What I'm Looking For
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Walk On
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
The Saints Are Coming
Window On The Sky

i really dont like this tracklist swap stuck for i will follow and sweetest thing for stay

i personally fell that SAINTS should not be on there as firstly it is a charity record record with Green day and its also a cover! so i feel that this song out of all of them has taken the place of a brilliant U2 song like i will follow or stay but apart from that i am happy with the tracklisting

i personally fell that SAINTS should not be on there as firstly it is a charity record record with Green day and its also a cover! so i feel that this song out of all of them has taken the place of a brilliant U2 song like i will follow or stay but apart from that i am happy with the tracklisting

i totally agree

I just checked out U2 on Itunes and thought it would be interesting to see which songs are downloaded the most.
In order of popularity (I'm not including repeats, U2/MJB, or Christmas (Baby Please Com Home):

1. Vertigo
2. Beautiful Day
3. With or Without You
4. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
5. Where the Streets Have No Name
6. City of Blinding Lights
7. One
8. Sunday Bloody Sunday
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. Mysterious Ways
11. Elevation
12. All I Want Is You
13. Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Of
14. Pride
15. New Years Day
16. Walk On
17. All Because of You
18. The Sweetest Thing

Looks an awful lot like the probable new tracklisting. It should be noted that certain songs would be higher on the list if there was only one version. For example, Pride (album version) is only a few spots ahead of Pride (from the Best Of). If all versions were combined the list would look much different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom