MERGED ----> Definitive collection tracklisting predictions/discussions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh come on! who said that 'Hunt The Lyrics' is a clue for U218's tracklist?

Really! Sweetest Thing? 4 songs from ATYCLB? while only 2 from Achtung Baby??
It's not going to happen.

While I do think that (unfortunately) both Zooropa and Pop will be ignored, IMO we'll see more Achtung Baby and R&H songs with I Will Follow from Boy...
Only Beautiful Day and Walk On from ATYCLB.

Why are they taking so long with this tracklist anyway? They had the 1990-2000 tracklist published very soon after announcing its release.

The worst thing is that they have 16 songs to choose and that that could mean 2 singles from their more popular/more succesful albums and 1 single from those less popular, yet we all know most of the songs will probably come from only 4 albums.

Take a look

Boy:
- I Will Follow

October:
- Gloria

War:
- New Year's Day
- Sunday Bloody Sunday

The Unforgettable Fire:
- Pride

The Joshua Tree:
- With Or Without You
- Where The Streets Have No Name

Rattle&Hum:
- Desire

Achtung Baby:
- The Fly
- One

Zooropa:
- Stay/Numb/Lemon

Pop:
- Discotheque/Staring At The Sun/Please

ATYCLB
- Beautiful Day
- Walk On

HTDAAB
- Vertigo
- Sometimes

16 singles + The Saints Are Coming + Window On The Sky

That way every album has at least one song on this compilation, fair to all albums, all eras... everyone is happy...

Whatever way you look at it, its impossible to fit U2's career into 16 songs. Nobody will be happy no matter what the track listing is.

bathiu said:
oh come on! who said that 'Hunt The Lyrics' is a clue for U218's tracklist?

So why are there no lyrics from obscure songs?

chocky said:

I disagree. In my opinion you want to start the CD with the most recognisable song or the biggest hit. Based on recent/continued airplay I'm guessing Beautiful Day or Vertigo might kick it off.

The whole point of the album is "recognizable songs/biggest hits".
If U218 is meant to be U2's "Beatles 1" equivalent, it will be a chronology.

Danny Boy said:

Other than the fact that the whole purpose of the contest is to promote the release of the album, no.

Well, maybe the purpose of the Best-of itself is to promote U2's catalog? I mean, maybe they're only using tracks from U218, but that seems a big assumption...

I'll be happy to see One and Walk On on there, only because it means maybe we'll get the One Buffalo Video and the American Walk On Video on the DVD.

Otherwise, I don't really care what songs are on this. I already own them all anyway, so I'll probably give the CD one spin, rip Window on the Sky, and never listen to it again.

Aside from Electrical Storm, I think I have listened to Best of 80-90 exactly twice.

If you line up the tracks in the order of the Web sites on which the clues were given, you get this running order:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Still Haven't Found...
3. Pride
4. With or Without You
5. Vertigo
6. New Year's Day
7. Mysterious Ways
8. Stuck in a Moment
9. Where the Streets Have No Name
10. Sweetest Thing
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. One
13. Desire
14. Walk On
15. Elevation
16. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
+ 2 new tracks

I think we'd better prepare ourselves for the fact that this will be the tracklisting, as sad as that is. To ignore Boy, October, Zooropa and Pop is a shame.

A couple of things they might do to make this appealing to those who already have all of these songs:
*Where the Streets Have No Name (single version w/ Edge on backing vox)
*Pride (longer version from the 12"/CD single)
*Elevation (Tomb Raider mix?)
*Walk On (single mix? even though I like the album version better)

morgan1098 said:
If you line up the tracks in the order of the Web sites on which the clues were given, you get this running order:

1. Beautiful Day
3. Pride
4. With or Without You
5. Vertigo
6. New Year's Day
7. Mysterious Ways
8. Stuck in a Moment
10. Sweetest Thing
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. One
13. Desire
14. Walk On
15. Elevation
+ 2 new tracks

I think we'd better prepare ourselves for the fact that this will be the tracklisting, as sad as that is. To ignore Boy, October, Zooropa and Pop is a shame.

A couple of things they might do to make this appealing to those who already have all of these songs:

Here, taste this - it's terrible!!!! :(

morgan1098 said:

1. Beautiful Day
3. Pride
4. With or Without You
5. Vertigo
6. New Year's Day
7. Mysterious Ways
8. Stuck in a Moment
10. Sweetest Thing
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. One
13. Desire
14. Walk On
15. Elevation
+ 2 new tracks

If this ends up being the track listing I would be veeeeeery disappointed...

morgan1098 said:

I already have all of those, too. :grumpy:

I just realized that the contest page on U2.com says:

"U218 Singles is the first single disc collection to span the band's career from Boy (1980) to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (2004)."

That can hardly be true if no songs from Boy, October, Zooropa, or Pop are included. So maybe the tracklisting DOESN'T match the clues for the contest. Here's hoping...

Looks like we were thrown for a slight loop........CDWow listed "I Will Follow" but the contest instead had "Stuck In A Moment"......

But christ, they really are going out of their way to ignore the 90's. "Discotheque" was a bigger hit than anything from ATYCLB, other than "Beautiful Day"..........same for "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me"

The point of this album is to sell people who are casual fans/green day fans/not fans at all on U2's music. So, they're gonna pick the best known songs. Obviously everybody knows the 80's hits....

1. New Years Day
2. Sunday bloody sunday
3. Pride
4. Where the streets have no name
5. I Still haven't found what I'm looking for
6. With or without you
7. Desire

From Achtung Baby, although it was a hugely successful album, only two of the singles have stood the test of time and still receive radio play.

8. Mysterious Ways
9. One

The average Joe Sixpack isn't going to know, or care to know anything from Zooropa or Pop. Skip those. In the U.S., "Sweetest Thing" was actually a pretty big hit. I still hear it on the radio and in bars lots of people put it on the jukebox, which is more than I can say for anything on Zooropa or Pop.

10. Sweetest Thing

I know most of you think 4 songs from ATYCLB is undeserving. However, it's only 6 years old, still fresh in the minds of a lot of people, but long ago enough that people will think "oh man, I forgot about walk on, but it's a really good song." ATYCLB was a huge hit. Everyone knows all 4 singles. Therefore;

11. Beautiful Day
12. Stuck in a moment
13. Elevation
14. Walk On

Honestly, Vertigo and Sometimes were the only HTDAAB songs that anyone will know of that didn't buy the album.

15. Vertigo
16. Sometimes you can't make it on your own

The given new songs;

17. The Saints are coming
18. Window in the sky

And there you have it. U2's 16 most popular singles, plus 2 new songs to sucker us fans into buying it twice. People who listen to music but have never bought a U2 album might see this tracklisting and think "wow, I never realized how many good, popular songs they have." While I agree with this tracklisting as U2's biggest singles, I would have made a 2nd disc with the not-so-popular singles and other standout album tracks, to furthur interest those not familiar with U2.

If there was a second disc........

1. I Will Follow
2. Gloria
3. Bad
4. Bullet The Blue Sky
5. Angel Of Harlem
6. All I Want Is You
7. The Fly
8. Even Better Than The Real Thing
9. Until The End Of The World
10. Numb
11. Stay
12. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
13. Discotheque
14. Staring At The Sun
15. Electrical Storm
16. City Of Blinding Lights
17. All Because Of You

Way worse than anything I could have thought they would have done. Four ATYCLB songs? It's their worst album for God's sake!

Yeah, I really can't believe that there would be more tracks from U2's WORST album (ATYCLB) than the Joshua Tree or Achtung.

I call shenanigans! I don't think this is the list. For one thing, the ad copy says that the collection stretched from "Boy to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." If the earliest track was from War, that wouldn't be the case....

I would like to know what sort of suckyness rating system you people use that would make ATYCLB their worst album?

but it doesn't make much sense to have 4 tracks from that album on this collection
so I don't think it will happen

:rule:

Salome said:
I would like to know what sort of suckyness rating system you people use that would make ATYCLB their worst album?

but it doesn't make much sense to have 4 tracks from that album on this collection
so I don't think it will happen

:rule:

Well, New York is the worst lyrics they have ever written.

When I Look at the World, Grace, Peace on Earth should all have been B-sides.

Not a big fan of Walk On, and Kite doesn't seem to have aged well.

I have nothing bad to say about Beautiful Day, Elevation, or the newer live versions of Stuck in a Moment.

The only rocker on the whole album is Elevation....That's a problem...And no, New York can't count because it is such a crap song....

Wild Honey is dear to me.

In a Little While is brilliant - by far the best song on the album. IMHO.

AND it all spawned the Elevation tour with short setlists, crap vocals, and a best-of setlist that often featured only 4 or 5 songs off of the album...perhaps saying a lot about how even the band became disenchanted with the songs...

But this is just my opinion...

Last edited:
grace is among the most beautiful album-closers u2 has ever made. only aiwiy and love is blindness are comparable.

when i look at the world does sound a bit rough, but has a great guitar bit.

peace on earth may start off a bit slow, but is a strong song.

only new york is crap, which is completely true.

Niceman said:

Well, New York is the worst lyrics they have ever written.

I have nothing bad to say about Beautiful Day, Elevation, or the newer live versions of Stuck in a Moment.

The only rocker on the whole album is Elevation....That's a problem...And no, New York can't count because it is such a crap song....

You're complaining about the lyrics of 'New York', but you having nothing bad to say about the lyrics of 'Elevation'???

A mole digging in a hole, indeed.

The Slow Loris said:

You're complaining about the lyrics of 'New York', but you having nothing bad to say about the lyrics of 'Elevation'???

A mole digging in a hole, indeed.

Elevation has silly lyrics....but New York has CRAP lyrics. I see a difference...

U2Man said:
grace is among the most beautiful album-closers u2 has ever made. only aiwiy and love is blindness are comparable.

when i look at the world does sound a bit rough, but has a great guitar bit.

peace on earth may start off a bit slow, but is a strong song.

only new york is crap, which is completely true.

Grace was easy. Unchallenging. Pretty, sure, but also forgettable.

Yes, I like some of the guitar in When I look at the world too.

Peace on Earth should have been a strong song. It would have been - if Bono had been angry, spitting angry when he sang it. I was hoping that was what would happen live, but they never played the whole song live.

new york is crap.

If the track listing corresponds to the Lyric Hunt songs, the only reason I'm buying it is for the Milan half-DVD.

However, isn't it true that they originally signed up to do 3 best of discs ('80-'90, '90-'00, and presumably '00-'10)? I think I remember this being the case.

It seems they've realized there's no guarantee they'll be able to put together a proper "Best of 2000's" (having already wasted Beautiful Day and Stuck by sticking them on the best of 90's disc), so they've complied with their contractual obligations by throwing this "definitive best of" out there, combining their only "hit singles" of this decade with their past "hit singles".

Lame, but its a reasonable explanation for the tracklisting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom