MERGED ----> Best band in the world--if not U2--then who? + best band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i thought we were talking about the best band in the world today, not ever, thats makes a whole new debate. I think Radiohead are the best band in the world today after u2, but if I'm making my all time list, they wouldnt go in my top 5. :shrug:

In the U.S., at least, I think that title is always used for the band that is the hot item at the moment. Right now, all the magazines are saying U2 is the best band in the world because they are in the spotlight with the upcoming album. Radiohead has been called the best band in the world at times during the past few years as well (even Coldplay I suppose). But, I think when you take worldwide popularity with the masses, critical acclaim, and longevity, no one beats U2.

As for the other contenders, I suppose RHCP is up there. Although Oasis are huge in Europe, they were never really big in the States except for a year or two. Wilco is great with the critics, but not they are not too popular. The Strokes and White Stripes - too early to tell.

Pearl Jam and Coldplay at the moment.

Not Radiohead. Although they do have many fans in the UK, it is somewhat difficult to find a radiohead fan (unless they are hardcore) in Australia. I dunno abouthow the US of A recieve them but I wouldnt think that they would embrace them that much.

White Stripes (as much as i dont like them) have the potential to be considered the BEST.

But I honestly think that it's Pearl Jam and Coldplay at the moment, with Matchbox 20, RHCP, Nickelback and the almighty Foo Fighters just behind them.

This is not based on who i think is the best however. This is my favourite current bands.

1. U2
2. Live
3. REM
4. Coldplay
5. Foo

The Beatles and The Stone Roses would be in there if they still existed.

grbounds said:
U2 without a doubt.

after that, its dave matthews band, coldplay, and oasis.

up and coming possibilities for the future would be dishwalla, better than ezra, ben folds five, and something corporate.

The thing with the Dave Matthews Band is that they have a relatively small following outside of America, whereas bands like Coldplay, Radiohead, REM and the sort are globally popular. I think that a lot of people would challenge that on those grounds.

I do agree with you though. I love DMB ;)

If you shout... said:
At the moment, I think that Radiohead is the single best band in the world. I think that they are better right now than U2 is...and by a healthy margin, too. For me, U2 surpassed the greatness of The Beatles from '91-'98 and Radiohead, starting in '00, is doing the same thing. If you saw them on tour, last summer, then you know what I'm talking about.

I was just soaking all the music in and as the show ended and those HUGE and brilliant letters "F-O-R-E-V-E-R" scrolled behind the band on a huge LED screen of some sort as they rounded out their set with "Everything In Its Right Place" when I realized it. In my head, I told myself, "This is what it was like to see The Beatles. I finally know what it was like."

We'll see if they can keep it up--I'm not so sure that they can. The Radiohead of the last four years, U2 for most of the '90s, the entire career of The Velvet Underground, and the duration of The Beatles' career together: those are the greatest bands of all time at their peaks in no particular order...although I can sort them out... I just don't wanna' get lynched...!
That's exactly my opinion.

I don't know..their last album wasn't a critical smash. I like Radiohead and infact love the Bends, but I can't really fall in love with their stuff. They do depressing Very well and alienation pretty welll...but truth be told, those are colors I don't really want to get lost in 80 percent of the time.

One of the best bands in the world today would have to be
Powderfinger. An Aussie band, their brilliant. Their my 2nd
favourite group.

To be called the best band in the world you have got to earn it. I don't think you have earned anything like that after just two albums (Coldplay). Radiohead differently showed the potential once, but then they went down a too experimental road. Don’t get me wrong, I actually think Kid A and Amnesiac were good, but it was one album to much of the same. Hail To The Thief saw them getting back on track, but not all the way. The Beatles were fantastic, but to be honest, I don’t think they truly match U2. My reason for this is, that they only had a career of 13 years. I know they revolutionized rock music, and they truly made a bunch of classics. But U2 have managed to stay on top for 20 years now, and have had a career for 25 years. I know that Rolling Stones have been together much longer, but honestly, they lost their magic around the same time Beatles did.

Re: Best band in the world--if not U2--then who?

drivemytrabant said:
I know there are alot of really biased people on this forum (me included :) ) but when you talk to people who don't think its U2--who do they think it is? If you don't think its U2 then who? I've been really thinking about this and I can't really come up with anyone. I mean when you look at what they play on VH1 and MTV--the radio etc. its mostly crap. Am I missing someone here? Or is it hands down U2?

No one else really stands out.

I still like the Trashcan Sinatras.

u2 is the best right now, and i think htdaab solidifies that.

let me add one more to the mix, for heirs after u2.

Wilco. They are not commercially big enough to be considered with many listed, but i think if they ever wanted to be they could easily move in that direction. They can right great 'pop' songs when they want, but usually tend to go in other directions. For my own personal taste, they surpassed radiohead (of which i am a huge fan). I saw both radiohead and wilco several times on thier most recent tours, and I would take wilco over radiohead right now.

'Best' is subjective. Anyone can be the 'best' in someone's opinion. (In mine it's U2, followed by a bunch of other bands that don't have all their members alive anymore.) Not everyone in the world is a U2 fan, though they really should be. 'Best' is hard to argue.

But 'biggest' - ah, that one U2 has down cold. I would like to see someone argue that U2 is not the biggest band in the world today. (Especially that the Stones seem to have finally given up touring... not that I don't love them, but really, all good things must come to an end... and they did a while ago.)

Every Boston radio station has a copy of HTDAAB, and have been playing all the tracks non-stop. That's really something: The modern rock station is playing it. The alternative rock station is playing it. The classic rock station is playing it. The everything else stations are playing it. (Okay, the R&B stations aren't playing it... but who needs them?)

However much longer U2 sticks around (no more albums, one more albums, ten more albums), they've earned themselves a place in rock history. Anything you look at that's the Top 100 Rock 'n' Roll Moments, or Top 50 Immortals of Rock, or Best Songs of All Time - you always see U2.

So cheers for U2, the biggest (and, in some opinions, best) band in the world! :D

:shrug:

I think the general consensus is there are three bands that get this label attached to their name: U2, REM and Radiohead. Now I am biased and admit I don't follow their career as much but as far as I know the general opinion on REM is they haven't been the same since their drummer left and I don't think Radiohead were ever into it that much. And frankly I think they lost people behind after they went into experiment mode.

I think overal commercial appeal and tour popularity, if we take that criteria, easily gets U2 on the top.

The trouble is, music industry is changed. Sadly, pop/R&B/hip hop/rap are now the mainstream and rock isn't what it was in the 90's. It would be impossible for a "U2" sized career to happen now, with the no.1 obsession of the big labels. I also don't think their proper heirs are here yet. (I know, Coldplay is being named the "new U2" but it's too early to tell - and Chris Martin has got nothing on Bono's singing or charisma not to mention guitar player borrows heavily from Edge, that said I do have both of their albums)

Coldplay, not within a mile of best band in the world. Radiohead, slightly closer, but still really fall quite short.

Of the last 20 years the only band that really compares to U2 in terms of brilliance, creativity, song writing and musical skill (i.e the total package) is the Stone Roses in my book.

The Beatles really changed the face of music and culture however, questionable wether and group/artist will ever have the same effect on the world again.

I agree U2 is the biggest band in the world. The album and ticket sales speak for themselves.

REM, though not BIG anymore, are definately one of the best. Just listen to their newest album, Around the Sun. It's the first good thing they've done since their drummer quit in 1997. I saw them live a few weeks ago, and it was amazing.

Coldplay could acheive supergroup status, if they play the cards right. They won't be as big as U2, not by a long shot, because another U2 today isn't possible. They could be a great arena rock band, but the could never entertain a stadium, due to Chris Martin's lack of charisma. Wilco is indeed another one to look out for.

The fact is, the essence of "the rock star" doesn't exist. Today's "Rock Stars" are Eminem, 50 cent, Dre, etc. It's a sad state of affairs. What will be even sadder is when the older bands like U2, RHCP, REM, Radiohead, DMB, Pearl Jam quit, and the new good bands like Coldplay, Wilco, Whoever else is new and good get pushed down into obscurity from hip hop. There will come a day when we have no rock bands, just hip hop and rap. That'll be the day my taste in music becomes "dated", just like my Grandpa's.

acrobat, I agree the new "Rock Stars" are the "Rap Stars", and they possess all the "qualities"(?) that the old Rock Stars had:

1. Live outside of the mainstream
2. Drugs/Alcohol
3. Misogny
4. Larger than Life personalities/presence

Eddie Vedder really killed the old "Rock Star"...I love Pearl Jam, but I wish Eddie would find irony like Bono did. Then Pearl Jam would be this decades U2.

Too bad.

I think U2 have been the greatest band in the world since the Police broke up.

However, if you look at it thru the concert perspective, in the 90's the Stones sold the most tickets, and in 97-98, U2's Popmart tour was #2 to the Stones Bridges to Babylon tour. I think the Rolling Stones are still one of the top acts in the world, people think they suck because they are old, but they aren't bad at all.

I think U2 is the #3 best band of all time, #1 being the Beatles and #2 being the Stones.

O yea and the Stones are making a new album...lets hope its good.

U2 is always THE best, but besides them

right now....I think Radiohead would be the best, and REM are close behind, although I Think REM is an overall better band, their recent output isn't quite as good as Radiohead's.

Of all Time...This is a hell of a lot tougher. Without U2, probably the Beatles, but that's not very original. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Talking Heads, and maybe Bowie.

I think a lot of people are mistaking quantity for quality. I think "best" doesn't necessarily mean "biggest," although a band can be both.

U2 is definitely the best!!! I would be nothing without them. They are the most original and sincere group out there. I did see Radiohead in October of 2003 and they were awesome, but U2 is still the best. Also, I must mention that there is another Irish band that kicks arse: Rubyhorse! They are awesome. I suggest catching them sometime if you haven't already.

Aussie said:
One of the best bands in the world today would have to be
Powderfinger. An Aussie band, their brilliant. Their my 2nd
favourite group.

Yeah..Go Powderfinger....they are my 2nd best Band too.
Vulture Street from July 03 still has me rockin.
The Best Guitar Rock album I've heard until 1 week ago.

stagman said:

are you off to see them when there touring here next year?
i would...but ah with Miami and all (hey i'm working on it...:wink: )

sorry for the tottaly off the topic post.

stagman said:

I think that the have actually said in interviews that they are avid haters of u2.....

Don't quote me on this though, but i think that the song 'Stumblin', how it goes "its not such a beautiful day"....is supposed to relate to u2's beautiful day in some way.....heard it in an interview but i wasnt really listening, kinda listening subconciously and then i managed to pick up something about not liking u2 and the line from stumblin refers to that....

But i reckon Powderfinger are quality, and are original fantastic great sounding aussie artists, which is extremely rare in australia today.

Motorace have disappeared, and Jet are poisoning the reputation of aussie rock.

Wish midnight oil and inxs were still around in their old form...

OH well, if u2 was not in exsistance then i would have stayed with the great irish folk band CLANNAD. I still love them. they are my favorite after u2.

Back
Top Bottom