MERGED ----> Best band in the world--if not U2--then who? + best band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drivemytrabant

War Child
Best band in the world--if not U2--then who?

I know there are alot of really biased people on this forum (me included :) ) but when you talk to people who don't think its U2--who do they think it is? If you don't think its U2 then who? I've been really thinking about this and I can't really come up with anyone. I mean when you look at what they play on VH1 and MTV--the radio etc. its mostly crap. Am I missing someone here? Or is it hands down U2?

hmmmm...i listen to all genres of music so i dont think im that biased. but ya...u2 are the greatest band in the world.

In at no. 2 (used to be right at their tail, but now the gap is a little furthur) = Radiohead. IMO :wink:

if there was no U2 (which is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE!!! but still if e.g. Edge's parents had moved to America when he was a child, Adam had stayed in UK and they hadn't met.....) i would be probably listening to R.E.M. mostly. i was thinking also about Queen lately: the biggest hits (of any singer or group) are the ones you can hear on the radio and mostly these are singles and maybe sometimes some other staff, but you don't have all songs from every album on the radio. and it's different with Queen- you can hear almost all their songs on the radio, so it seems like they had only hits. but still they are nothing compared to our boys :wink: :heart: i'm biased, but i wouldn't be here if i wasn't :D

it's all subjective, can't anyone remember that? who cares, anyway?

but in the spirit of the season, i'll say broken social scene, wilco or the arcade fire as being the best bands in the world. :wink:

U2 hands down at the moment. There has been absolutely no new music in the last couple of years that has really got to me, and the other bands I like that are still producing have gone off the boil somewhat :(

Do they have to exist right now? If not, pink floyd and the verve would come close to challenging U2 for the title of best band...otherwise there's no-one

The Verve, no way, no band could touch U2 during the last 25 years.........with a very large stick

Damn I was hoping when I opened this thread that the hideous spectre of coldplay would not be raised:scream:

I am very into the RHCP at the moment :up: but U2 is #1.

U2Kitten said:
Damn I was hoping when I opened this thread that the hideous spectre of coldplay would not be raised:scream:

I am very into the RHCP at the moment :up: but U2 is #1.

Not a Coldplay fan?

Even though half of them are dead, and there is no longer new music... The Beatles are by far number 1 for me. The best band ever, hands down. U2 is second, sorry to say fellas.

If you can't count the beatles.... then U2 is definitely the best band in the world. I can't think of any other bands that are close to as good.

I'm yet to find a single band that can even touch U2, and although a lot of people I know online rave about Radiohead ... I really don't see much in them at all. Most of my friends in person have hideous music taste and are the types who'd think Linkin Park are the best band in the world.

Dream Theater and Pink Floyd are two bands I greatly admire. I wouldn't put them on U2's level, but damn, they're good.

Having not heard HTDAAB, I cannot judge U2 currently, but I think 2 bands (The Libertines, Guided By Voices) have been really great over the last few years, better than ATYCLB-era U2 definitely IMO.

At the moment, I think that Radiohead is the single best band in the world. I think that they are better right now than U2 is...and by a healthy margin, too. For me, U2 surpassed the greatness of The Beatles from '91-'98 and Radiohead, starting in '00, is doing the same thing. If you saw them on tour, last summer, then you know what I'm talking about.

I was just soaking all the music in and as the show ended and those HUGE and brilliant letters "F-O-R-E-V-E-R" scrolled behind the band on a huge LED screen of some sort as they rounded out their set with "Everything In Its Right Place" when I realized it. In my head, I told myself, "This is what it was like to see The Beatles. I finally know what it was like."

We'll see if they can keep it up--I'm not so sure that they can. The Radiohead of the last four years, U2 for most of the '90s, the entire career of The Velvet Underground, and the duration of The Beatles' career together: those are the greatest bands of all time at their peaks in no particular order...although I can sort them out... I just don't wanna' get lynched...!

Well if you are talking about the best band of all time--I think for me its the Beatles--with U2 easily in the top 3. But right now? I haven't heard anything that touches U2 lately.

If we are talking all-time, I would say The Beatles. If we are talking about currently existing bands and assuming an alternate universe where U2 never formed or had broken up, I would say The White Stripes.

Last edited:
obviously U2 is the best band in the world and they top my list by a million miles but if there was no U2, personally I think the best band is Aerosmith, no question. Didn't love their latest album but they are classics.

For me, no band compares to The Church (but if you look at my sig, avatar and a whole lot of my posts that's not a surprise :rolleyes: ). They're not particularly commercially viable, but their music has been consistantly excellent over their 24 year career, and they are, at least in my opinion, yet to reach their creative peak. Right now is a great time to be a Church fan.

Have U2 become bigger than The Rolling Stones? I should think so.

U2 are by far THE BEST representation of what a "band" is supposed to be.

I really can't pick another band that could top U2.
Although I am really diggin Mark Knoffler's new stuff lately!
:heart: :yes: :dance: :dance: :dance:
I hope that is how you spell his name LOL!
Ummm... Well, I guess REM would be at the top with NO U2. The Stones come into a distant 2nd with the Bee Gee following them.

Last edited:
When you make the statement who's the "Best Band" you need to qualify it. I think the title of "Best Band" falls to a band who consistently put out "hit" albums, with "Top 40 singles", million selling records and mostly sold out shows.

Radiohead? Too quirky and not ambitious enough to want to be the best band. Coldplay? Too early to tell. The White Stripes? Please....I like their songs, but again they fall into that same mid-90's to now category, no one wants to be a Rock Star. Not a Rock Star by association, but a star who when he/she walks into the room all eyes follow them. One who lives the lifestyle, wears the close is not afraid to meet the press.

Except for Bono where are these Rock Stars? Most of the Rock stars are from earlier eras, the Steven Tylers, and Mick Jaggers. Anthony Keidis...yes, Chris Martin, Thom Yorke....great musicians and songwriters, absolutely, but does your 50 year old aunt or uncle know who they are? Most likely they do not. Does this mean their bands are not great, no, but they are not stars and so they do not qualify as a better band than U2 in my opinion, now or in the future.:ohmy:

fine, radiohead's the best. really there's no question about it for me.

i just hate sounding like a predictable broken record.

U2 without a doubt.

after that, its dave matthews band, coldplay, and oasis.

up and coming possibilities for the future would be dishwalla, better than ezra, ben folds five, and something corporate.

Back
Top Bottom