MERGED ----> Band Aid 20 hits the radio tomorrow + Band Aid 20 is a letdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Bono were a basketball player, he'd be what you call a ballhog similar to an aging Michael Jordan when he was with the Washington Wizards. He should give way to the younger guys. He had his moment in 1984 and I don't think any vocal take he will make today will match the intensity, passion, and urgency of 1984. Not that the spirit isn't willing, but Bono's flesh is weak (and old - especially his cigarette-infeseted vocal chords).

It's also a surprise that while Bono was invited to the the Band Aid redux, his bassist Clayton wasn't invited even though Clayton participated the first time around. Perhaps Clayton doesn't have as much pull as he did back in 1984. I mean Clayton is part of U2 after all, back then and here now. So why was it only Bono who was invited again? Perhaps they weren't satisfied with Clayton's contribution in 1984?

Cheers,

J

Exactly. He's not burned out yet, like alot of the other acts from the original line up, and besides, Band Aid is more relevent to Bono than any of the other artists in the lineup because of his work with Africa. It seems obvious that they wouldn't overlook him.

The vice of so many UK bands/singers: take cheap shots at someone to get in the media.

"I did it better than him but they put up a stink" and yet HE says it's not an ego thing to him?!?

Yeah right, Freddie Mercury wannabe. I shudder to think his squealing falsetto ruin that famous line. I read Chris Martin and Robbie Wiliams also wanted to sing that line - and I dare say Bono can take them on any time.

Wasn't Paul McCartney - who plays bass on this version - also among the people who recorded the original version? So Bono is not the only one brought back. I don't see why with his work in Africa he shouldn't be involved in this, and while of course he won't try to re-deliver the line in the EXACT same way but can offer a different take on the line.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
The vice of so many UK bands/singers: take cheap shots at someone to get in the media.

"I did it better than him but they put up a stink" and yet HE says it's not an ego thing to him?!?

Yeah right, Freddie Mercury wannabe. I shudder to think his squealing falsetto ruin that famous line. I read Chris Martin and Robbie Wiliams also wanted to sing that line - and I dare say Bono can take them on any time.

Wasn't Paul McCartney - who plays bass on this version - also among the people who recorded the original version? So Bono is not the only one brought back. I don't see why with his work in Africa he shouldn't be involved in this, and while of course he won't try to re-deliver the line but can offer a different take on the line.

and, of course, it's just another person that Justin Hawkins can add to his 'people who I don't like because they are way better than me' list.

:lmao: This is actually the kind of crap they say about THEMSELVES on thier website

The Darkness are the natural successors to Queen.

The Darkness are arguably the most talked-about rock band in the world. The past year saw them cement their reputation as the hardest rocking band in the country, with live appearances the length and breadth of Britain, Europe and America. Next stop? World domination.

Please! Stop! You guys are killing me! :lmao:

yeah i agree,
over the past year the darkness's ego has blown to epic proportions. when the organiser's of glastonbury approached the darkness to do the festival, they demanded £1million (not tabloid sensationalism, but from justin himself) to play the festival,
darkness are WHEY overrated-how can you talk about world domination after one album? new material is apparently crap
Go Bono Go......

The whole Bono v. Justin thing is damn pathetic and detracts from what the whole Band Aid project is supposed to be about. So far I think Bono has had the good grace to keep quiet about it unlike some wannabes.

Just read that article in The Mirror and had to come on Interference to rant about it.

Who the :censored: does Justin Hawkins think he is? He hasn't got a note to his voice, he wails like a screaming girl and nuts call it singing. That man has a massive unfounded ego and Geldof could do worse than to put him off the record altogether for bringing his petty squabbles into it and wrecking the good band aid name.

:censored: off Justin, you :censored:.

I am trying to remember who song bono's bit in the 1995 version.. and why there wasn't a big kick up then for Bono to do that line..maybe he felt it was uncool to stand next to the likes of bros Kylie and Jason and Cliff richard:wink:

for me I will always just stick to the original version and donate to the african cause by buying the live aid dvd

WE LOVE YOU, BONO!

We all know that no one can do a better rendition of that line from "Do They Know..." that you made famous. :up:

I'm sure the B-man appreciates all our support for him. :hug:

paulrg said:
The whole Bono v. Justin thing is damn pathetic and detracts from what the whole Band Aid project is supposed to be about. So far I think Bono has had the good grace to keep quiet about it unlike some wannabes.

I agree, this whole this is so stupid. I hope Bono doesn't get too carried away either, we all know he also has a pretty big ego... Of course I think he should sing the line, but I don't know if he should get in a fight with that Justin dude over it either. Can you imagine the headlines everywhere? "Rock stars fight over a charity single" It looks so selfish for all of them.

"It is not the only controversy prompted by the new recording. Sir Paul McCartney, who plays bass guitar on the song, was banned from singing because he was too old"

What a load of horseshit. This single is already a steaming pile of poo thanks to Hawkins and this news on Sir Paul.

starsgoblue said:
Who the hell does Justin Hawkins think he is?! Nobody's going to know who he is in 25 years...unlike Bono. :censored: :censored:

He needs to learn to bow out gracefully and let the big boys do their thing. So what if Bono pulls rank?! He has it for a reason. Hawkins is the one with 'balls of steel' if he thinks he can strongarm himself into getting that line.

:up: "It's my line. I'm doing it. So fuck off!" ~Bono :up:

:madspit:

Not only that, but who the f*ck is Justin Hawkins?!? :scratch:

I've never heard of him and I can tell you that hearing some "no name" (IMO) do that line over Bono would suck.

That said, if this little "competition" forces Bono to sing that line better, good! Sometimes Bono tries to change too much in his remakes. IMO, this is one time he should try to emulate his 1984 voice (at least passion-wise). Love to hear his 2004 voice do that line now - a voice with wisdom and experience. :yes:

To close, I repeat - who the f*ck is Justin Hawkins?? :rolleyes:

And the winner is....

newsdotbbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4012573.stm

check out the bbc news site it has a couple of interesting things. first, they're using bono's updated line. :) also bono's quoted as saying he didn't want to sing this line then or now. :huh: finally, it says he impersonated bruce springsteen(this time around i'm assuming.) :ohmy:

There was a brief interview with Bono on the radio earlier, he said that he had re-recorded his lines on Thursday as there had been 'technical problems' with the earlier recording, which he said is usually a euphemism for 'Bono that was crap!"..

Maybe it's the US election results....

Specifically the Rep stranglehold over the Senate....

(Maybe he really DOES care screw-all about who won Prez, but for him, and us, there go all hopes whatsoever of getting his DATA Africa agenda through the House or esp the Senate....we know thier agenda..anything to do with Africa, no money but for "faith based" programs only..and if you've seen the headlines, Congress is getitng ready to trim a further $300 mil from Bush's much -balyhooed $5 bil fund..which he alreasy slashed by 2.5 bill last yr, and some more after that...rightnow only 1/3rd of that money is going anywhere and the majority of it is for fiath-based programs...after all those years of stalking the halls of Congress, all that anguish and heartbreak, for alhis busitng his butt to wring blood from the stone, as he put it, here it all is about to go down the drain....everybody should read his Sunday New York Times comments about possible "fanticism" in America...religious fervor etcthe Religious Right...coming from him, I am SOOO glad he is aware of this, it echoes my fears as a progressive born-Again Christian (render unto Ceasar the things that are Ceasar's'''etc.)...

I can't blame him for being down. Anybody who wants to get soemthing positive done, has to slog through years of misey and drudgery, all unseen, while it only takes a slash of Tom DeLay's pen to wipe it out, with Dubya's blessing.
I think he is more depressed about this aspect of America right now than he is willing to let on.

Must get to my favorite Christian U2 blog right now to read their take on that article!

Last edited:
Again, who the :censored: is this Justin guy? Did he play bass for Millie Vanillie? Either way he's had his 2 seconds of fame, riding on the coattails of Sir Bono.

Me thinks, Bono gonna let this wannabe, who is daddy is:)

First of all, I don't believe for a second that Bono really raised a stink and insisted on singing that line himself. I know he has an ego, but not to the extent that he would make something like this all about him.

Second of all, no matter how much of an ass Justin Hawkins is being, I hope Bono takes the high road and doesn't allow himself to be dragged into this whole stupid feud.

Back
Top Bottom