MERGED ----> Band Aid 20 hits the radio tomorrow + Band Aid 20 is a letdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim

Refugee
Bad Aid 20 hits the radio tomorrow

According to the UK press the new recording of 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' is being recorded this weekend and will be played on BBC Radio 1 tomorrow morning (as they did back in 1984).

I'm looking forward to Bono's 2004 take on his famous line.

Am I the only one that feels like a kid that's consumed too much sugar with all this new U2?!

Nope Jim,

I'm also overloaded on 'U2 sugar'....! :wink:

Looking forward to hearing Bono again - must say, his hair's looking a lot better this time around too! Hahaha!

Jim, do you have a link for the reports that the new "Do They Know..." will be played tomorrow on Radio 1?

The reports are that the single will be available to the public starting on 29 November, but it is a bit mindboggling that they are recording it today and will be able to play it tomorrow in the radio!

But stranger things have happened.... :lol:

Thanks, though, for the info. :hug:

Radio 1 are currently at the recording of Band Aid 20... they're going over there live inbetween the Chart Countdown.... they say Bono's flying in and will be there in a couple of hours.

i wonder why he's flying in if he already recorded his line back at home? it might be that he wants to make sure they use his updated vocal instead of the 84 vocal or someone else's. see u2log.com for bbc updates if you're interested in getting the latest on band aid.

On the official top 40 chart they mentioned that the first airing of the band aid 20 single would be played at 08.00 on the chris moyles show this Tuesday 16 th November.

Lucy3011 said:
Radio 1 are currently at the recording of Band Aid 20... they're going over there live inbetween the Chart Countdown.... they say Bono's flying in and will be there in a couple of hours.

That's strange...I read a news thingies earlier saying he'd already recorded his line.....Oh well :shrug:

Is anyone going to be able to post a copy of the song up here? (I'm buying the single when its available of course)

Sorry - of course I mean't 'BAND Aid'... at u2log.com they have a link to a BBC diary of the whole shebang. Looks like Bono: didn't show/may have pre-recorded his vocals/they may be using somebody elses vocals/they may use Bono's original vocals.

Let the bets begin.

my guess is that he sent a vocal take from dublin but they were still thinking of maybe using his original take from 84 or using someone else's take on that line, so he decided to fly down there and personally deliver an amazing performance that will leave them speechless and certain to use his updated line.

Yeah he did already...but the live reporter person on Radio 1 said he was flying in and would "be there in a couple of hours".... Oh well.

look at u2log.com, on the right side where it says "bbc reporter in studio all day." you can see a catalog of today at the studio, where you can see that bono had sent his line down but it seems like the producer still wasn't sure he wanted to use that so i'm almost positive that's why bono's going down in person.

Well I doubt he *INSISTED* that that was "his line" as the press are reporting... some of the UK Sunday's are getting a bit dramatic over this!

I do think, though, that a BIG part of this whole project is to have footage (as per 1984) of all the artists, over one weekend, in a studio together. So I can't see how Bono could just send over his vocals. Maybe they were pre-recorded but surely he has to be there for the film???

starsgoblue said:
Well it IS his line...and I would insist in the way he did to.....of course everyone in this new lineup would covet that line.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I know that Midge Ure wanted Bono to sing that line again, and actually rejected all the other artists from 1984.

I just don't think that Bono personally would be at all precious about it, it just doesn't seem to be his style. Some press today has suggested that he has demanded that it's "his line" (tabloid trash of course).

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited:
Oh I wasn't trying to fight....no worries. I don't think Bono was demanding but I do think he was insistent given his passions on the subject and I could see him saying the "fuck off" comment which I think is rather amusing.

:shrug:

Either way, I'm hoping to get to hear it soon!

according to the most recent article on bbc news, it hasn't been decided who's gonna do that line but several pple have recorded it including bono. i'm hoping he'll win out.

BONO & JUSTIN FEUD OVER BAND AID LINE Nov 15 2004 (The Mirror)

By Daniel Boffey

A FEUD between Bono and Justin Hawkins left the latest Band Aid recording up in the air yesterday.

And last night no one seemed to know which of them - if either - will be heard singing the classic line: "Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you."

Darkness star Justin accused U2 frontman Bono of pulling rank - despite performing a "poorer" version of the line in the re-recording of the original 1984 hit Do They Know It's Christmas.

He said: "We both recorded the same line. I did it better than him but his management kicked up a stink and he is going to do it again today. It means politically I'm not allowed to sing it.

"He's going to try and re-sing it - or they may decide to use the original line from 20 years ago." He added: "If he does try to re-sing it he has got balls of steel. I don't think I'll be given the chance to beat him again, which is fine. It's not an ego thing for me. But to him it's very important."

Apart from the one line, the re-recording was completed at yesterday's session in London. It features a Who's Who of top stars, including Sir Paul McCartney, Coldplay's Chris Martin, Jamelia, Miss Dynamite, and boy band Busted.

The song - expected to raise millions for famine relief in Africa - gets its first airplay on Radio 1 tomorrow. The video, with an introduction by Madonna, will be shown simultaneously on all five main TV channels on Thursday at 6.05pm.

Who the hell does Justin Hawkins think he is?! Nobody's going to know who he is in 25 years...unlike Bono. :censored: :censored:

He needs to learn to bow out gracefully and let the big boys do their thing. So what if Bono pulls rank?! He has it for a reason. Hawkins is the one with 'balls of steel' if he thinks he can strongarm himself into getting that line.

:up: "It's my line. I'm doing it. So fuck off!" ~Bono :up:

:madspit:

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
Beside the article even says he did the worst version of the line

I read it as Bono did the worst version but pulled rank anyway.

I agree though - I think they should use Bono even if it's purely for the sales as they would be guarenteed (sp?) a sale per u2 fan :) Anyone actually know any Darkness fans?

No 3.5

ps I'm new here - how come when I tried to quote starsgoblue the bit I wanted was censored?

No. 3.5 said:

I read it as Bono did the worst version but pulled rank anyway.

Even if it was the case....I don't think that Hawkinds needs to be trying to butt in where he shouldn't be. If it was Bono's take that was bad then he should just be given another take---Africa is something that Bono feels a deep amount of passion for, I want to hear that passion coming through my speakers and not Hawkings wailings.

Jim said:
BONO & JUSTIN FEUD OVER BAND AID LINE Nov 15 2004 (The Mirror)

By Daniel Boffey

A FEUD between Bono and Justin Hawkins left the latest Band Aid recording up in the air yesterday.

And last night no one seemed to know which of them - if either - will be heard singing the classic line: "Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you."

Darkness star Justin accused U2 frontman Bono of pulling rank - despite performing a "poorer" version of the line in the re-recording of the original 1984 hit Do They Know It's Christmas.

He said: "We both recorded the same line. I did it better than him but his management kicked up a stink and he is going to do it again today. It means politically I'm not allowed to sing it.

"He's going to try and re-sing it - or they may decide to use the original line from 20 years ago." He added: "If he does try to re-sing it he has got balls of steel. I don't think I'll be given the chance to beat him again, which is fine. It's not an ego thing for me. But to him it's very important."

Apart from the one line, the re-recording was completed at yesterday's session in London. It features a Who's Who of top stars, including Sir Paul McCartney, Coldplay's Chris Martin, Jamelia, Miss Dynamite, and boy band Busted.

The song - expected to raise millions for famine relief in Africa - gets its first airplay on Radio 1 tomorrow. The video, with an introduction by Madonna, will be shown simultaneously on all five main TV channels on Thursday at 6.05pm.

:shocked:

who the hell does he think he is? OK, even if I didn't like U2, i'd certainly respect Bono, and never in a million years say something like that.

I just looked on their website to see if they'd said anything about it, and there is a nice less-than-subtle hint about knocking U2 off of the top of the downloads chart.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom