MERGED--> ALL discussion about the Upcoming IMAX film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerhour24

ONE love, blood, life
The Upcoming IMAX film

Just wanted to get a feel for everyone's thoughts on the subject. To me it sounds like a really awesome idea, but I'm not too sure about some of the rumors that claim it can be viewed without any eyewear, anyone know if there's any truth to that technology?

Personally, if that happens I'm going to be watching this like every day of it's release haha, because I have an IMAX right in my town.

Yeah, the rumor is that it's a new kind of 3-D that doesn't need funky glasses. Hopefully, when it comes out on dvd (as most IMAX films do), you may not need the glasses then, either! :hmm:

I'm psyched about it, though my wallet won't be-----I'm sure I'll probably go enough times to cost me another concert ticket....:wink:

Well IMAX films on DVD are obviously not 3D viewable, but it would still be another concert DVD in nice hi-def.

I know that the digital 3D that George Lucas is bent on pimping out to the world doesn't need glasses, but how would that work in IMAX? That's designed for regular, digital theaters.

Re: The Upcoming IMAX film

powerhour24 said:

Personally, if that happens I'm going to be watching this like every day of it's release haha, because I have an IMAX right in my town.

From what I've heard, not all IMAX theaters are equipped for 3D.

"From what I've heard, not all IMAX theaters are equipped for 3D."

All traditional IMAX theaters are 3D, that was their mostly their function (except for some short 2D documentaries) until in 2002 hollywood movies began being remastered for IMAX. IMAX Dome theaters, obviously are used for specialized films not in 3D.

powerhour24 said:
"From what I've heard, not all IMAX theaters are equipped for 3D."

All traditional IMAX theaters are 3D, that was their mostly their function (except for some short 2D documentaries) until in 2002 hollywood movies began being remastered for IMAX. IMAX Dome theaters, obviously are used for specialized films not in 3D.

Um, no. The first IMAX 3D film was in 2002 it was "Space Station 3d".

Go to the IMAX website and do a theater search, those that aren't equipped with 3D will be noted so.

Where I live there are two IMAX theaters, one does not have 3D presentation.

So you may want to do a search before you get too excited.

I think the 3D glasses should by Fly Sunglasses ala Zoo TV!! :wink: Thatd be sweet heh.

It does seem kinda funny that potentially there will be tons of people wearing colored glasses like the B-man. Sounds like a plan more than an accident or coincidence :wink:

Last edited:
powerhour24 said:
Well IMAX films on DVD are obviously not 3D viewable, but it would still be another concert DVD in nice hi-def.

are you referring to JUST imax 3d films? Because you can watch 3-d films on a home televsions.....(quickly hides copy of Spy Kids 3-d)

They played love is blindness as an closer!!!!!!!!! thats gonna be in the film! and fast cars and end of the world. you should see this setlist.

It's too bad we couldn't have seen ZooTV or POPmart in 3D.

Or a fucking DVD at all.

This is cool though, I am looking forward to the Milan DVD as well.

t8thgr8 said:
They played love is blindness as an closer!!!!!!!!! thats gonna be in the film! and fast cars and end of the world. you should see this setlist.
:combust: Oh my god!! That's like a dream come true for me... Even if they don't play it when I see them in Melbourne, I'll still be able to have it on dvd!
There's no IMAX theatre within 500-600km of me so I think I'll just have to wait. :sigh: Ah well... I can manage I suppose. :)

From U2tours:

"U2 returns to Argentina for the first time in 8 years. Tonight's show is filmed with 8 high-definition 3D camera rigs for an expected IMAX film release. Before Elevation, Bono takes a piece of paper from a fan, makes a paper airplane, and throws it to the crowd. Some in the crowd follow suit, making and throwing paper airplanes. The show ends with a big surprise, as Love Is Blindness is played for the first time since the end of the Zoo TV tour in December, 1993."

Obviously, he threw a paper plane so the cameras would pick it up and make for a nice 3D image. :wink:

As for the film, here's more info EPandAmerica:

http://www.interference.com/u2155486/index.html

BigMacPhisto said:

Obviously, he threw a paper plane so the cameras would pick it up and make for a nice 3D image. :wink:

Well if he used a beachball, people would have just said he's doing the same thing over and over.:wink:

"Um, no. The first IMAX 3D film was in 2002 it was "Space Station 3d".

Go to the IMAX website and do a theater search, those that aren't equipped with 3D will be noted so.

Where I live there are two IMAX theaters, one does not have 3D presentation."

Umm no, the first IMAX 3D theater was built in Vancouver in 1986, and IMAX 3D movies date back to the 90's, Space Station is the most widely known but not the first.

For instance, Across the Sea fo Time (3D) premiered in 1995, Cyberworld 3D premiered in 2000 etc.

EPandAmerica said:
:reject:

I've been off the U2 wagon. What IMAX movie?

A normal film is shot on 35mm film wherein the frame size is 22mm X 16mm (35mm diagonal)

Imax is shot on film wherein each frame is 69mm X 45mm, giving it a larger surface area for exposure, and thus a much clearer picture...

and, (here is the important part) it is projected onto a screen that is a much larger one than typical formats (the average IMAX screen is 8 stories in height and 80 feet wide)

and as for the 3d process, it isn't the red eye blue eye glasses (anaglyph 3d) that you see in the movies. Contrary to popular belief, this method has only been used a handful of times, and the majority of 3d films are polarized (two images are projected simultaneously and the clear color-free glasses unite the images in the viewer's eye creating the illusion of depth perception)

Long story short...

In the past 5 years, James Cameron and his crew have been developing a new kind of HD 3d film technology that shoots digitally (even higher resolution than IMAX already was capable of) and looks more realistic (If any of you saw POLAR EXPRESS in IMAX 3d, you will understand the difference)

Thanks to these new technologies, expect a massive screen with the best theatrical sound possible, and full color high def (possibly the best picture you'll ever see at the theater) image, with the most up to date 3D effects currently available.

And judging by the setlist from last night, (and hoping that they don't trim it the way they usually do for a U2 filmed release) it is going to be an awesome show.

One item of note, To the best of my knowledge, there is a common rule of thumb that IMAX movies DON'T exceed 2 hours in length. They trimmed down Star Wars episode 2 and both Matrix Sequels to fit into that alotted timespan, so don't be surprised if they do the same to the U2 film. (the reason they give is that more than 2 hours in an IMAX presentation can cause disorientation, and, appropriately enough - vertigo)

Correction:

Regarding the editing of Star Wars and Matrix Films:

"Because of a technical limitation on the size of the film reel, these early DMR releases were edited to conform to a two-hour length limitation."

According to further information, it seems that they have ceased with the trimming process and Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire which runs 2hrs 37 mins was not trimmed for the IMAX release.

So forget what I said about them trimming the U2 movie

powerhour24 said:

Umm no, the first IMAX 3D theater was built in Vancouver in 1986, and IMAX 3D movies date back to the 90's, Space Station is the most widely known but not the first.

You are correct the website I found that information on was missing a lot of info.

But back to my original point, the fact remains not all IMAX theaters are equipped to show 3D so people better check the website before getting too excited.

I don't have one near me, so that sucks.

Hmm, guess that'll be something else I can't see. And LIB too! :(

Clawgrabber said:
Correction:

Regarding the editing of Star Wars and Matrix Films:

"Because of a technical limitation on the size of the film reel, these early DMR releases were edited to conform to a two-hour length limitation."

Yeah, I saw Attack Of The Clones at IMAX and it was actually better with that small portion cut out. Like that part where Anakin says "I like your hands, they're not coarse like the sand" or whatever.........in the Imax version, he just says "I like your hands" and then they stare and kiss......more of a realistic take on it thanks to that edit.

popmart86 said:
u2 agentina dvd......CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!:drool: :yes: :lock: :hyper:

whatever happened to milan though?:huh:
OK, now I'm confused. I thought the Milan DVD was still happening and that this IMAX film was not intended for home video release.

greenlight7-11 said:

OK, now I'm confused. I thought the Milan DVD was still happening and that this IMAX film was not intended for home video release.
Have I missed something? Last time I checked, a Milan DVD wasn't even announced. Fans presumed it would be released because it was filmed, but AFAIK no official source ever said a Milan DVD would be released.

Well I will just wait for the general release . the next imax is like couple hundred miles away.
Having watched yesterdays show live stream anything will be better than that IDIOT HAMISH HAMILTONS dvd.
Do not destroy my hopes here and tell me hamish (i can skip through 30 cams to make a dvd an ppl think its good) hamilton has been seen in argentina

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom