Martin: 'Coldplay's The Best Band In The World'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hehe, hasn't Bono said something about that before? still, by the time Bono got around to claiming that, he actually had something to back it up with. Plus, it seems like he usually said things like they *want* to be best in the world, they believe they've put out the best album this year, etc. I do have a recording tho, where Bono says something to the effect of "the best band in the world's gotta have the best fans in the world!":wink:

i enjoy some coldplay, but it's all so similar, and no way in hell are they the best band in the world. it doesn't bother me that bono says it as much cos I happen to agree with him :D (not necessarily best at the moment, but overall)

wait....im remembering a recent bono quote where he says "how embarrassing would it be for [these bands] if we're still the best band in the world in 5 years." which seems to imply he thinks....:wink:

After what will soon be three albums from Coldplay, I'll safely say that The Arcade Fire are alread 5 times as great as Coldplay ever was or is. If any band I can see right now has potential to live up to U2's standards I believe it's The Arcade Fire, but that's just a whole nother conversation now isn't it? :)

He's trying so hard to sound like Bono when he talks about U2 that he simply doesn't see how ridiculous it is. And obviously doesn't get it why Coldplay is not the best band in the world (even though he probably knows it). Bono is Bono, he's unique, when you imitate someone else you are an... imitation. Not unique at all. One of the reasons why Coldplay won't be as good as U2 or the best band in the world. He should find his own rock/pop star character.

TheBrazilianFly said:
He's trying so hard to sound like Bono when he talks about U2 that he simply doesn't see how ridiculous it is. And obviously doesn't get it why Coldplay is not the best band in the world (even though he probably knows it). Bono is Bono, he's unique, when you imitate someone else you are an... imitation. Not unique at all. One of the reasons why Coldplay won't be as good as U2 or the best band in the world. He should find his own rock/pop star character.

While I see a similarity in this particular comment (which seems to be either misquoted or out of context) I don't see any similarity between Chris Martin and Bono in terms of rock/pop star character. Yes both are involved with humanitarian and economic relief groups...but beyond that...they don't act the same, they don't write the same, they don't sing the same, they don't perform the same.

It is almost unbelievable the rhetoric being aimed at Coldplay (who I am thankful for as I feel that they with others have brought back song writing to popular music) from U2 fans. From everything I have ever read, the two bands have nothing but respect for each other. It is not a competition, and frankly we are all a bit biased. U2 aren't as vital and current as many of us think (or hope) and Coldplay aren't as bad as many on here are claiming. Two very different bands, at the top of their games. I am glad there are at least 2 current bands (actually there are a lot more right now as well) I can like. It's been a while, enjoy it. Again, its not a competition...you are allowed to like multipe acts at the same time.

I remember a lot of this same type of rhetoric after Green Day lost out to U2 at the Grammy's. Green Day is also another band right now that is at the top of their game. Their new album if phenomenal, but many U2 fans can't get past any perceived threat from another band. Look at Green Day's current album chart stats and HTDAAB...tell me which the public thinks is a better album.

A lot of U2's "hipness" that is derived from sold out tours is from the fans that would buy tickets to 3 hours of The Edge blowing bubbles while Adam and Larry do a medley of Happy Birthday/She'll be Coming Round the Mountain/Sweet Caroline.

Final summary...there are a lot of great bands out there all with different things to say and show us. Enjoy all of them for what they are...none of us are committing adultery by buying a Coldplay album. One of my favorite things about being a U2 fan is the different paths they have taken me down over the years in their search for new music and sounds...that in turn leads to my discovering new music and sounds.

Last edited:
I'm not saying CM writes, sings or performs like Bono or even that Coldplay is imitating U2 (at least not 100%) but there are some moments, like this particular one, where he just seems to be imitating Bono and that in my opinion is why they won't be the biggest band in the world. Bono may have his influences but he is not really imitating anyone, he created his own rock star carachter and he has his own personality, which is what mekes him great, get it? The same thing goes for U2. Martin should do the same. I know that U2 and Coldplay are fans of each other and they have respect for each other and that's great. :up:

one4u2 said:
And besides, anyone that names their child after a fruit should be shot :whistle:

Hmm...Apple, strange...but stranger than Blue Angel or Bob Patricius Guggi Q?

you be the judge.

TheBrazilianFly said:
I'm not saying CM writes, sings or performs like Bono or even that Coldplay is imitating U2 (at least not 100%) but there are some moments, like this particular one, where he just seems to be imitating Bono and that in my opinion is why they won't be the biggest band in the world. Bono may have his influences but he is not really imitating anyone, he created his own rock star carachter and he has his own personality, which is what mekes him great, get it? The same thing goes for U2. Martin should do the same. I know that U2 and Coldplay are fans of each other and they have respect for each other and that's great. :up:

Isn't there a quote out there from Bono saying he basically ripped off Jim Morrison's pants, Lou Reeds Glasses...etc. for the fly? The MacPhisto character is ripped right from literature...Bono is certainly not 100% original either...and I wouldn't want him to be.

Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief. I think it might have more to do with Bono being the biggest and loudest rock star cliche/role model out there. Not that easy to be a completely original rock star. It's all been done before.

Didn't I said that I know that he had his influences? I'm very aware of them. The diference here is that Bono takes those things and mkaes them his own.

Last edited:
"coldplay is lifestyle music"

what an incredibly brilliant way to describe them.

"the killers are shit"

what an amazingly accurate statement!

Coldplay aren't at the october stage! You can't compare them like that.They've sold loads more albums than U2 had having released 2 albums I think "Speed of Sound" is a great track. U2 are the best band ever though. I think Coldplay need to have a few more albums before they make claims like that. I think alot of their stuff has been not great (any single of Parachutes apart from yellow)

Zoomerang96 said:
"coldplay is lifestyle music"

what an incredibly brilliant way to describe them.

"the killers are shit"

what an amazingly accurate statement!

Finally good to meet some people that think the killers are bad too. All their OK stuff is just U2 rip-offs anyway. I think Franz Ferdinand aren't great either(one good song!). The best 2 albums I bought last year were HTDAAB (obviously!) and Final Straw by Snow Patrol (not up themselves unlike that idiot Brandon Flowers or just hype like Franz Ferdinand).

DPrinceNY said:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

first, and this is purely subjective but they are NOT the best band. second, in present times the state of music has been rebounding. Look at all the new great bands out right now, just to name a few...Bloc Party, The Killers, audioslave, franz ferdinand, etc. etc.

Jesus Franz Ferdinand are garbage no matter what Bono says about them and the others ain't nothing to write home about either!

Aardvark747 said:
Best band in the world? Being beaten to no.1 by a Frog.....

Whatever Mr Martin.

And do you think that if U2 had released the very overrated (at least on here) SYCMIOYO against the frog crap it would have still made number one???? Me thinks not!

rjhbonovox said:

Jesus Franz Ferdinand are garbage no matter what Bono says about them and the others ain't nothing to write home about either!

Agreed 100%. They had one great song and the rest of their singles were just average album tracks.

Snow Patrol are my favourite band after U2. Unlike Franz Ferdinand they have more than one good song.

nickypiemcg said:

Agreed 100%. They had one great song and the rest of their singles were just average album tracks.

Snow Patrol are my favourite band after U2. Unlike Franz Ferdinand they have more than one good song.

:eyebrow: I see at least 6 good ones here.

dark of the matinee
take me out
this fire
auf achse
tell her tonight
michael

Anyway, to each his/her own.

Zootlesque said:
Anyway, to each his/her own.

Quite right...talking about whether this band or that band is good is like debating if onions are good. Everyone has their own taste and you can't help what you like. All you can do is keep trying new foods.

Lancemc said:
After what will soon be three albums from Coldplay, I'll safely say that The Arcade Fire are alread 5 times as great as Coldplay ever was or is. If any band I can see right now has potential to live up to U2's standards I believe it's The Arcade Fire, but that's just a whole nother conversation now isn't it? :)

OMG, I absolutely agree. The Arcade Fire and their music are so much more capable of being the best band in the world, more so than Coldplay. The AF are my second favorite group and their music makes me feel almost the same way that U2's does.

Last edited:
cmb737 said:

Quite right...talking about whether this band or that band is good is like debating if onions are good. Everyone has their own taste and you can't help what you like. All you can do is keep trying new foods.

Yeah but I am right..... Franz Ferdinand are CRAP!:wink:

Man I've read this thread and it's made me laugh!

What are Coldplay now? The Anti-Christ??? The Anti-Bono??? Are U2 fans going to organise CD burnings because of their "We're bigger than U2" like they did for John Lennon's "Beatles are bigger than Jesus?" Seriously do you not see the parallels? A band is not allowed to have ambition? Chris Martin talks about reaching the heights of U2 cos they are the yardstick, it could be any band out there, he could have said the Beatles, the Stones, the Police, whoever. "Big, brash" statements are wrong when said by Chris, but Bono's been making the same sort of statements for 26 years. What's the difference?

So Coldplay don't do it for you? Well, U2 don't do it for a chunk of the population either. So what are you gonna do?

blueeyedgirl said:
Man I've read this thread and it's made me laugh!

What are Coldplay now? The Anti-Christ??? The Anti-Bono??? Are U2 fans going to organise CD burnings because of their "We're bigger than U2" like they did for John Lennon's "Beatles are bigger than Jesus?" Seriously do you not see the parallels? A band is not allowed to have ambition? Chris Martin talks about reaching the heights of U2 cos they are the yardstick, it could be any band out there, he could have said the Beatles, the Stones, the Police, whoever. "Big, brash" statements are wrong when said by Chris, but Bono's been making the same sort of statements for 26 years. What's the difference?

So Coldplay don't do it for you? Well, U2 don't do it for a chunk of the population either. So what are you gonna do?

so true.

Back
Top Bottom