Manchester City 2 Liverpool 2... I mean part 2 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zwervers2 said:

Every post has been negative?????
you have got to be kiddin me. On the opposite:
I've been as positive as you can get with a setlistattitude of the guys like this..Lot's of post of how I feel it could work better etc..it's not moaning it's not comprehending that a band with absolutely outstanding repetoire is throwing this away for what...VERTIGO..give me a break..Look KUEFC09U2. I've followed the guys since mid 80's...I'm sick of this stop moaning attitude..it's a forum...I like vertigo but this is overkill it doens't make sense at all...
right ok lets look at it this way then, i liked the way they opend and closed with vertigo last night, so did thousands of other people, and there were a few that probabley didnt like it as much, so who wins? if U2 go, oo well they didnt like it so lets change it, then the people that did like it will be saying erm hang on a minute, am dissapointed i never got to see that,... its never ending, all the complaints and praise has already been said, so why go over and over the same thing after every show?

Axver said:

I have utterly no qualms with saying your opinion is stupid.

Vertigo is not, could not, and never will be better than 40 AS A CLOSER. Which is all I'm talking about. Have whatever opinion you want for the songs comparatively, but there's just no way Vertigo is a better CLOSER. It's a GREETING SONG.

i have utterly no qualms with saying your attitude is high and mighty and what you speak has to be true and fact for everybody.

Vertigo is a better closer than 40.

Just because it goes Hello, Hello doesn't mean it has to be a greeting song.

It gets the crowd charged up, it gets a buzz, it puts an awesome energy into the air as a sendoff. Why you fail to realize this is beyond me.

Chizip said:
i love how crumbs is now used as a curse word

ALL OF YOU CAN CRUMB OFF!
YOU CRUMBHOLES!

I think this is the result of my frustration, because they won't CRUMBIN' play this CRUMBING song live!!!

CRUMBIN' U2.
I crumb them.

maybe if they changed the hello, hello part to goodbye, goodbye during the second vertigo, it could make more sense as the closer :shrug:

AtomicBono said:

Yeah it's kinda weird to close by saying "Hello, hello" :

Personally, I love the Seattle II ending(best Vertigo ever, no contest), when Bono is shouting "hello, HELLO, HELLO!!! Goodbye". And Larry ends it and they leave.
Very punk rock of them.

StlElevation said:

it's hardly a lovely sendoff. it leaves me wanting more.

Hahaha.

11 o clock tick tock on elevation was not that good. Not half as good as they used to play it in the 80s, so why would it be better now?

I Will Follow on Elevation wasn't as good as it was back in the eighties either, but it bloody rocked just like the old days on the promo tour and I'm sure it's rocked in Manchester too.

Im sure people in 1983 knew 40 because there werent that many songs to know back then by U2. So yes, Im sure it was well known.

I'm sure you're talking out your arse. Not that many people knew U2. People went to check out 'the new Irish band' or whatever. Considering War's sales, I really doubt the crowd was intimately familiar with 40, and even if they were, they would've known the studio version. As the Internet wasn't exactly prolific then, people wouldn't have known 40's growing reputation as a closer or of the sing-along, but it WORKED. People sung.

It has everything to do with closing a show.

In your dialect of English, is 'hello' a farewell rather than a greeting?

Who gives a shit if a song is obscure or not? Why would anyone be disappointed just because a song is obscure? Obscure or not doesn't change whether it's good. I want bands to play songs because they're good, not because the mindless masses saw it on MTV.

djerdap said:

Personally, I love the Seattle II ending(best Vertigo ever, no contest), when Bono is shouting "hello, HELLO, HELLO!!! Goodbye". And Larry ends it and they leave.
Very punk rock of them.

yeah that's true, I have that recording, possibly the best version of Vertigo ever :drool:

KUEFC09U2 said:

they have given us 25 years of there lives, maybe its time that they can enjoy themselves aswell as us

Is it strange that you will get a somewhat negative responds sometimes with total bull like this...Given us 25 years of their lives..what the hell are you talking about..they have made great records have had amazing tours and they have been rewarded for that like they should be...millions of dollars, millions of fans around the world...still a good private life...Our record is finished and we are negotiating with a recordcompany..if one day somebody who has bought our records would say something like this I would feel ill...

isn;t it nice to discuss matters on the blue crack:wink:

kellyahern said:

:evil:

The trouble is, when you're there, it really is fun. Almost as fun as watching people's heads explode on forums when they play it twice.

Exactly!! I think I'm going to join the new thread about it now. The old threads have only scratched the surface of this topic.:wink:

StlElevation said:

i have utterly no qualms with saying your attitude is high and mighty and what you speak has to be true and fact for everybody.

Vertigo is a better closer than 40.

Just because it goes Hello, Hello doesn't mean it has to be a greeting song.

It gets the crowd charged up, it gets a buzz, it puts an awesome energy into the air as a sendoff. Why you fail to realize this is beyond me.

I have utterly no qualms in saying I wish I hadn't come to this party because I've now wasted my time getting heated up over this with someone who evidently can't see the obvious.

40 is a better closer than Vertigo.

It's a greeting, damnit! It's a rocking song for the first five numbers, to get you into the show and rocking. By the end of Boston III, not only was I exhausted, but the last two numbers weren't exactly hard rocking. They were soothing, gentle, and 40 would've been best to follow them. Vertigo II was a bit lame.

Why you fail to realise this is beyond me.

Love the Axver-StlElevation discussion... :laugh:
I don't get it... why are they trying?

KUEFC09U2 said:
right ok lets look at it this way then, i liked the way they opend and closed with vertigo last night, so did thousands of other people, and there were a few that probabley didnt like it as much, so who wins? if U2 go, oo well they didnt like it so lets change it, then the people that did like it will be saying erm hang on a minute, am dissapointed i never got to see that,... its never ending, all the complaints and praise has already been said, so why go over and over the same thing after every show?

The problem is that you are right. The people enjoy Vertigo twice but that isn't the issue. I do not blame people for jumping up and down because Vertigo is played again..I don;t like how U2 is approaching this at all. To me it comes accross as lazy and I do not want to feel that at all let me tell you..

djerdap said:
Love the Axver-StlElevation discussion... :laugh:
I don't get it... why are they trying?

Because I'm a stubborn prick with nothing else to do.

Axver said:

Hahaha.

I Will Follow on Elevation wasn't as good as it was back in the eighties either, but it bloody rocked just like the old days on the promo tour and I'm sure it's rocked in Manchester too.

I'm sure you're talking out your arse. Not that many people knew U2. People went to check out 'the new Irish band' or whatever. Considering War's sales, I really doubt the crowd was intimately familiar with 40, and even if they were, they would've known the studio version. As the Internet wasn't exactly prolific then, people wouldn't have known 40's growing reputation as a closer or of the sing-along, but it WORKED. People sung.

In your dialect of English, is 'hello' a farewell rather than a greeting?

Who gives a shit if a song is obscure or not? Why would anyone be disappointed just because a song is obscure? Obscure or not doesn't change whether it's good. I want bands to play songs because they're good, not because the mindless masses saw it on MTV. [/B]

youre right, and i will follow has been played to death and id have no problem if it were retired as well..

people SUNG to 40? oh wow, awesome. it must be the best closer ever because people sung along to it.

I would be disappointed if they played a song that is obscure and just not that good to close a show. ala your suggestion with 11 o clock tick tock.

who gives a flying shit if the chorus goes hello hello? again, IT HAS to be a greeting song because it says hello hello? Gone should always close then. In fact,t hey should play gone from under the stage and just stop playing with the line 'im already gone...'

40 needs to be retired and stay retired. it had its hayday. its just not that good of a song, and the crowd reaction for vertigox2 and bad at every show i saw was better than it was for 40 ending it, with bad getting the best reaction.

people sing along to it, whoopdie friggin do

Oh, almost forgot

8f171ba8.jpg

:wave:

what the hell, I'll throw in a funghi the dolphin as well :wink:

1efdf03b.jpg

zwervers2 said:

Is it strange that you will get a somewhat negative responds sometimes with total bull like this...Given us 25 years of their lives..what the hell are you talking about..they have made great records have had amazing tours and they have been rewarded for that like they should be...millions of dollars, millions of fans around the world...still a good private life...Our record is finished and we are negotiating with a recordcompany..if one day somebody who has bought our records would say something like this I would feel ill...

so hang on, have they not give you pleasure in there music for 25 years? have they not decided to leave there familes for a year at a time, just for fans like yourself?, have they not continued touring, through pain (Larrys wrists) and personal heartache (bono's father, edges daughter) for fans like you? so after all that dont you think they have the right to play what gives them the most enjoyment, aswell as you?

do i even need to go on?

Axver said:

I have utterly no qualms in saying I wish I hadn't come to this party because I've now wasted my time getting heated up over this with someone who evidently can't see the obvious.

It's a greeting, damnit! It's a rocking song for the first five numbers, to get you into the show and rocking. By the end of Boston III, not only was I exhausted, but the last two numbers weren't exactly hard rocking. They were soothing, gentle, and 40 would've been best to follow them. Vertigo II was a bit lame.

Vertigo II was great. I liked it better than 40 as a closer.

zwervers2 said:

This is NOT a personal attack to you by the way...:wink:

I'm only so stubborn, though. I'm going to stop wasting my time. StlElevation, enjoy being wrong.

Axver said:

So because you were tired they have to play a slow song? lol

No, they werent hard rocking (Yahweh and Party girl)

thats why they had to go out with a bang (Vertigo)

which is FAR better than going out with a sigh. (40)

and I agree with ramblin' roses assessment of the boston closers.

I've got a video of Vertigo II at Manchester I. It's just an amazing way to end the gig, no doubt about that. 40 would be nice, but any good crowd should sing it anyway. I was a bit peeved this crowd didn't get into singing it when they went off. :(

Highlight of Vertigo II: Bono shouts "Let us stay open for one more extra hour? Mr Mayor, please!? Huh?... HELLO HELLO..."

I'll post the vid tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom