Make up your own "New Album" story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swan269

Rock n' Roll Doggie
in order to cope with the absence of ignoreland's story, make up your own

Edge gave me a phone call the other day and asked me to drop by the studio to listen to the new tracks. Upon climbing the steps into their studio at Hanover Quay, I heard the biggest rock song ever....."oh thats All Because you", edge said. The song was the loudest most hard rocking U2 song ever. Edge told me that the song hasn't changed much since they recorded it in France around 9 months ago. Edge also told me that although the band had a lot of old material left off of the last album, most of the material would be new songs. "It was hard to combine the vibes of All you can't...... with the new stuff"......."it wasn't the same feeling so we have to put much of it to one side"
I heard around eight tracks...only one of them had a title that I could recognize from the "Behind" sessions. Original of the Species has a definate groove, it kind of reminded me of "Seconds" but with a Mysterious Ways sound. All of the other songs had a sound of a heavy guitar without too much treatment...of course the album won't be released until March of next year so the sound could change a little bit. "I am always experimenting with new treatments so some things could change or it could lead to something else", said Edge. Bono was no where to be found, and Adam and Larry were working with Chris Thomas on a new middle eight part for a song called "Calling Hanover"...(a working title of course). Edge had to go but promised to catch up with me later for a pint. Hopefully, I will get back to the studio next week to hear more.

Last edited:
I was walking down the street, and passed by Hanover Quay Studios. It was like a warzone down that street, because of all the de-construction going on in the area. Bono and Adam were walking into the studio, and I just walked in right behind them. "You the new studio tech?" Bono asked. "Fuckin' A, man!" I replied. So Adam sent me to report to Des Broadberry, one of their oldtime studio techs.

Des said "Listen to me, freshman. You're playing with the big boys, there is no fucking around! You understand me, rookie BE-YOTCH????" I said "yessir". "Good", he said, "Now get the drums miked properly....we're going to record a new song, called "Deep Release". I didn't know how the hell to mic a drumset, but I just set a few mics up in various places. Larry began playing it, rehearsing. "Hey Des" he yelled, "I really like this new setup you've done! It brings out a new sound I've never heard before!" Bono concurred "it's like a space shuttle landing in your garden!" No one knew what that meant, but I was just glad I didn't screw up.

Then I got the guitar and bass equipment setup. Edge was amazed at my knowledge of his effects system. I really was just pushing buttons, cause I had no idea what I was doing. But apparently, I discovered a new sound on his pedals that he hadn't come across before. So, he began to experiment with all these new programs I accessed, and everyone was really getting off on the new sound. They abandoned the recording session for the day, and just jammed. They came up with 25 possible new recordings. My favorite was called "Father Christmas".

"Wow", Edge said in amazement. "Who doesn't even care about songs like `All because of you' or `Xanax and Wine' anymore? Or any of those songs, for that matter?" They all raised their hand. Bono said "that's it. The album we were working on is to be shelved. I guess we won't have the album out in Spring of 2004 like we had planned. We have more songs to work on."

It was at that point I realized that I had prolonged the release of a new U2 album for a couple of years. That night, the band took Des, Fraser McCallister, Dallas schoo and I out to dinner. They were talking about how they were going to tell all the venues, promotors and Paul McGuiness that the tour won't be until 2006 at the earliest. I excused myself to the restroom, and went outside the restaurant, and began to cry. Stupid me. I flew home to Ohio that very night, my head hung in shame.

Back
Top Bottom