Magnificent Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the promo CD for "Magnificent" and can confirm the time and various edits.

I actually felt some editing was needed for radio, so I'm not surprised. And the edit is fine.

I just hope that radio plays it now. If this very classic U2 sounding song doesn't get played, then I'm not sure what will (I guess U2 will only get played if Coldplay remakes U2's music).

it was played in Green Bay yesterday, which means it's on the right track. GB doesn't take many risks.

Easily the best song on the album in my opinion. The word majestic was invented for this song, early to tell but I think it will make my all time U2 top 10, it is THAT good.

Maybe they didnt want to end it.

Well, I don't want it to end, it's one of those amazing, yet rare tunes that could go on forever and need not end.......some form of fade out would have been better I think, or maybe reverting back to the same instrumentation and electronica used in the intro of the song to close the song somehow....it just seems like a weak cop-out of an ending to my ear.

46 seconds in I produced a little bit of pre juice!! its a great great tune and could be the upstart nephew to Streets. Its a rollicking, thumping, booming thing of beauty. U2 I thank you yet again. they never cease to amaze me!

Call me crazy, but I firmly believe that this is their best song since One, and I've listened to those post AB albums many, MANY times.

Discuss...

:hmm:

One isn't their best song, it's their most overrated song ever. And Magnificent is definately better.

You do have a point there. For me 'One' was a fantastic song for a few years until it was way overplayed and redone. I'm just trying to compare my initial reactions between songs that made me sit there and be brought to tears because it was just so good.

'Magnificent' did this to me through most of the song. 'One' did that to me briefly, but nothing has came close to that yet. SYCMIOYO and 'Stay' almost did it though. :)

Now TJT, the whole thing just left me :sad: This could be their best album since that. This is a very emotional, passionate album.

Not only is this a great song on the album, but it's a great song LIVE !!! watching on youtube on HQ at Fordham is awesome and it gives you a good idea of live.
This song will kick live, anybody else agree???
biggrin2.gif
No bathroom breaks for this song when they play live. :D

I bet it will probably be remembered alongside the other U2 classics for years to come. :up:

According to the response from people in my life who are not U2 fanatics, the boys have just released a classic U2 single. "Vintage U2 yet it sounds really fresh and unique, especially on the radio" seems to be the general consensus. It's a long time ago I got so many spontaneous and warm reactions to a U2 single from non U2 fans.

Well done boys! :up:

i love this song.
It had to be the first single...it's pure u2's sound...it has energy,soul, a great drum & bass 's work...and live (in particular from Sommerville in Boston 03.11.2009) is simply...magnificent!

Actually the whole fade out at the end of songs is a cop out, it's like bands don't know how to finish it. I can understand what people are saying and I think it would have sounded better with the extended Edge solo at the end, just like the live version they played during their session with Jo Whiley at the BBC. The Fordham University performance was excellent, but the song ended too quickly in my view and Bono was out of tune during the falsetto part before Edge's guitar kicks in near the end.

Actually the whole fade out at the end of songs is a cop out, it's like bands don't know how to finish it. I can understand what people are saying and I think it would have sounded better with the extended Edge solo at the end, just like the live version they played during their session with Jo Whiley at the BBC. The Fordham University performance was excellent, but the song ended too quickly in my view and Bono was out of tune during the falsetto part before Edge's guitar kicks in near the end.

As far as I know, the song doesn't have a fade out :scratch: No song on NLOTH has.

I like it the way it is on the album, the end is perfect. I'm not too fond of the radio edit.

I don't remember this? I can only recall that version of no line. I never knew they played magnificent too? anyone?

They did play Magnificent as well, it just wqasn't broadcast on the radio and I know a lot of people on here criticised the BBC for that. You should be able to watch a clip on Youtube of their performance.

As far as I know, the song doesn't have a fade out :scratch: No song on NLOTH has.

I like it the way it is on the album, the end is perfect. I'm not too fond of the radio edit.

I never said that there was a fade out on any of the songs on NLOTH. I was replying to someone's else's post who stated they would have preferred that Magnificent faded out than how it finished on the album, as they felt it was a bit forced. My view is that I like the album version but after hearing Edge's extended solo for the Jo Whiley show, I think they should play that version live.

Is there a discussion about the Fred Falke remix going on anywhere? I think it's pretty good, but it doesn't quite seem to reach the full dance mix potential of this song. Thoughts?

Am I the only one that is reminded of "Rock the Casbah" with those little handclaps throughout? That was another great swishy rock song that owed a lot to disco.

Is there a discussion about the Fred Falke remix going on anywhere? I think it's pretty good, but it doesn't quite seem to reach the full dance mix potential of this song. Thoughts?

haven't heard this, where can I hear it?

edit: google is my friend, found it.

yes, from the email i got from U2.com re: magnificent...

"There are some fantastic remixes of 'Magnificent' to be released on the 3rd May from Pete Tong, Redanka, Fred Falke, and Adam K and Soha. We'll be in touch closer to release to let you know where you can buy these."

yes, from the email i got from U2.com re: magnificent...

"There are some fantastic remixes of 'Magnificent' to be released on the 3rd May from Pete Tong, Redanka, Fred Falke, and Adam K and Soha. We'll be in touch closer to release to let you know where you can buy these."

Interesting...sounds kinda weird. It would seem to make sense to just release a single with all the remixes on there. I'd buy that. I don't know if I would pay $.99 for each on iTunes though.

Any word on what happened to the Will I.am remix that Bono raved about?

Back
Top Bottom