LP14: Songs of Experience - To Valencia and Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only one with any other info is the Bryan Boyd one, but it is phrased as speculation

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

From the "Consequence of Sound" article above:

The Edge said they had about 50 songs being narrowed down for the album,

Yeah I saw that COS had included that in their little article. But i think they are using and old quote from last year and just plopping it in here. I don't believe they are still narrowing down 50 songs. Im sure at one point they had 50 sort of frameworks of songs they were working on. But now, I'm certain they are at a point of having finished songs, maybe bouncing around on a couple that may or may not be included.

don't shoot the messenger. i was just regurgitating what i read from the article.

I tend to agree that they have 50 or so songs in various stages of completion. My guess is they are just whittling it down to 11 or so right now.

So, what do we think, beach clips any day now?:hyper:

We have to remember how U2 work. Look back at the AB tapes; 2 or 3 songs will end up being combined to one. So really they may start out with 50, they'll turn that into about 20, 12 or so will see the light of day, one or two might make the next album so there's a good 6 or 7 songs that we may never see. Some might be SUCs, some might be HMTMKMKMs :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Remember the good ol' days when news sites only provided facts?

These days, most news sources are opinion and speculation trying to pass off as fact...TSK TSK

Frank Ocean fans: I'm frustrated! Frank has gone four years without a new record, all the while dropping oblique hints about a new album coming with no explanation for the delays.

U2 fans: Wow, only four years?

Frank Ocean fans: I'm frustrated! Frank has gone four years without a new record, all the while dropping oblique hints about a new album coming with no explanation for the delays.

U2 fans: Wow, only four years?

:lol:

We have to remember how U2 work. Look back at the AB tapes; 2 or 3 songs will end up being combined to one. So really they may start out with 50, they'll turn that into about 20, 12 or so will see the light of day, one or two might make the next album so there's a good 6 or 7 songs that we may never see. Some might be SUCs, some might be HMTMKMKMs :shrug:

So... just like any other band then??

U2 aren't unique in how they record, but they're certainly not the norm either.

Most bands come with... something. Some sort of structure, a demo on acoustic guitar or piano... something.

U2 just sit in a room together and play with ideas till something sounds exciting, and then they turn that raw idea into a song. It's why they drive most producers crazy.

So... just like any other band then??

I would say U2 are somewhat unique in the sense of combining songs. I know a lot of bands will lift a bridge from one idea and use it for another songs. But I don't know many bands that actually flesh out a song to the point that U2 will just to mash it up with another at the very last minute. I mean Glastonbury they flesh it out to the point of playing it live, and then they just used a tiny portion in Volcano. Or LWTSH was a proper song, full lyrics and recorded and mixed and then they sacrificed it for two other songs.

But my point was some folks get all pissy when they hear the band talk about having 50 songs when in reality that number is probably not that far off.

I would say U2 are somewhat unique in the sense of combining songs. I know a lot of bands will lift a bridge from one idea and use it for another songs. But I don't know many bands that actually flesh out a song to the point that U2 will just to mash it up with another at the very last minute. I mean Glastonbury they flesh it out to the point of playing it live, and then they just used a tiny portion in Volcano. Or LWTSH was a proper song, full lyrics and recorded and mixed and then they sacrificed it for two other songs.

But my point was some folks get all pissy when they hear the band talk about having 50 songs when in reality that number is probably not that far off.

Oh, I get that. We do sort of get a perspective on the writing process when these demos or live versions leak out too. I know I've heard of other bands that record 50 or more songs for an album, rework a lot of them, save some for later, etc. Would many of them also borrow ideas from certain songs in put them into others? It wouldn't surprise me at all. But with U2, the main difference is that we have a few examples which we've heard.

The above post of "O" is courtesy of my 4 year old son. Think nothing of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom