LP13 - Just Give Us Some F*&king News...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have similar productivity at my job but they put up with it because they respect all of my activism and charity work.

Sent from my 831C using U2 Interference mobile app

I sincerely doubt you produce something in the neighbourhood of two relatively minor products in a five year timespan. If that's indeed true, you obviously work for the Government of Canada.

:love: best posts in a bit would read again

For a band in U2's position, appropriate spacing of albums is a better marketing strategy than to release an album every 6 months. Creating a sense of occasion, and the idea that it's an event, and not having an over saturated tour market, are all better business practices.

If we are to look at this from a purely business standpoint.

Sent from

As someone who has directly contributed money to them, I disagree. Just because my bank has made a boatload of cash in innovative ways does not mean that I should expect a lower quality of service simply because "they've earned the right" to work however they want to. I'm a paying customer and just as I would expect a certain level of service from any other business I have contributed significant monies, time, and loyalty to, I feel I have a right to expect the same from U2, Inc.

It seems that U2, Inc. is closed for repairs at the moment. When U2 put out a lyric to a song such as "Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady", I think even they later stepped back and realized how inane it was. Now, I believe, they are trying to prevent that sort of thing from happening again. Yeah, it's been a hell of a long time since NLOTH came out, too damn long, but as customers we never entered into any kind of contract with them for their business; to expect something from them besides what was directly paid for seems to be a little bit too much to me, and albums/tours/whateverthehellelse aren't periodicals that renew themselves. They simply can't have low quality business because they've had no business. When they open their doors back up, let's hope that the quality we all know that they are capable of comes back in some form. (Excuse the prolonged business analogy.)

When I buy a meal, I want it to taste good, but I also don't want it to take four hours to get to my table either. And I have recourse in the form of walking out before it arrives or receiving some other form of compensation (ie. a discount/free meal, free dessert/wine, etc), something which is unlikely to happen when this thing finally comes out.

You.. Pre-ordered their upcoming album? Paid for it in advance?

Sent from my fingertips.

So wait. Because you bought a CD or 12, that nobody made you buy, or concerts you attended, that nobody forced you to attend ... it makes you... what?

I mean, if you dont like U2 anymore, I don't care. But the fan entitlement thing is just something unbelievable. Nobody is entitled to anything. If you don't want to buy the new album because you think it stinks... dont...buy .. it?

So wait. Because you bought a CD or 12, that nobody made you buy, or concerts you attended, that nobody forced you to attend ... it makes you... what?

I mean, if you dont like U2 anymore, I don't care. But the fan entitlement thing is just something unbelievable. Nobody is entitled to anything. If you don't want to buy the new album because you think it stinks... dont...buy .. it?

I agree. This air of fan entitlement going around is kind of shocking to me. You paid money in the past for past albums and past concerts. This guarantees you nothing in the future. Being a member of U2 is not a normal job where you are expected to produce in the future. They don't have to release anything for the rest of their lives if they don't want to. I'm considering any future releases, including this one, as a bonus on top of their past material, no matter how good or bad it is.

It's my business because they're asking me to pay money that I worked for to have the privilege of listening to this music that "4 men in their mid 50s" make. I care because I've spent thousands of dollars on material that this band has released over the past 35 years, and my money has contributed to the lifestyle they lead.

ridiculous!

because they really put a gun to your head and made you give them your money? that was your choice! and i cannot for the life of me see why one individual would EVER spend thousands of dollars on one band - that seems pretty extreme and unnecessary to me... what the hell are you spending on? i have only bought maybe 4 vinyls back in the day before cds, a few tapes, and all the main albums on cd, plus 5 concert tickets, from Achtung Baby to 360, so what, a few hundred quid max...

anyway, there's always youtube - you don't have to pay a penny if you don't like it...

now pick up those toys and get back in your pram :D

The thing that still sticks out to me the most is that my daughter was born shortly after NLOTH came out. Now she's starting kindergarten in a month.

yep, my son was half way thru secondary school back then, and he's now about to start uni :crazy:

Look, this has always been my thought. Do with it as you like:

U2 exists because of people like me and people like you. They wouldn't be here without fans buying their albums, merch, concert tickets, etc.

When an artist says nothing about an album, I don't expect an album, I just hope for one.

When an artist says an album is coming and then jerks me around for five years,I get frustrated. It's a small bit of business partnership, ya know? I invest, they produce. I won't invest, if I'm not meant to expect, but how many times has the possibility of a tour got fans to reup their fan club memberships?

They have not been working on this album since 2010. This album is not Songs of Ascent, or at least what SoA was originally intended to be. That album was alluded to, but never promised.

Mofo is not an "EDM/hip hop" song. It was certainly ahead of its time, but it is still a rock song. U2 releasing anything in the realm of EDM or Hip-Hop would result in absolute embarrassment unless it was a b-side remix that only fans ever heard.

Other than that, DaveC, your complaints are mostly understandable, I suppose (other than what others have pointed out - the whole fan entitlement thing - second only to wenowba or whatever). And hey, I'm a Phillies fan too.
-----------
Regarding the fan entitlement - It's been a long time since a U2 album has been hinted at, but not once since NLOTH has been released has anything official been set. There has been no official delay. It looks like we will be getting a new album this year. None of us have to buy it. None of us are bound by law to spend money on anything U2 does. Just relax. The time it is taking for a follow up to NLOTH is frustrating, but some of these comments in all of these threads (especially now) are fucking insane. More insane than a lot of the insane shit on reddit. Hopefully less insane than Garth Brooks message boards over the past years. Hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's a small bit of business partnership, ya know? I invest, they produce.

:lmao:

dude get over yourself!

they produce, we buy (if we want to, and if we don't want to, many many others will!)

it's sad that people are getting so upset about the lack of news...

i'll be happy if there's a new album soon, but it won't turn my world upside down if there isn't... there is so much to do in life, and so much new stuff out there to discover instead of wasting time fretting about U2!

lately, i have been busy delving into the French music scene, discovering new reggae and death metal and being blown away by some awesome musicianship... music festival time is upon us - life is good :D

I'm still waiting for Season 3 of Twin Peaks

Speaking personally, my fandom has probably entailed me spending about $100 (ok, maybe $200) in the entire period 1990-2014. If that. Some cds, some cassettes. That's it. The band owe me nothing, but they owe themselves their legacy.

Rumour from U2place:

RUMOR: Gli U2 gireranno il prossimo video a novembre tra Londra e Dublino - U2place, le notizie in italiano sugli U2

Translated: U2 will shoot a video (presumably a performance?) at The 100 Club in London on Nov. 1 and at 37 Dawson Street in Dublin on Nov. 3; they think this info is not too much credible by the way. Still, good to speculate. :love:

I mean... There's no way they've set up a video shoot 3 months out.

Possible promo performances? OK, maybe. But still a bit far out for info like this to come out.

This is what lies get you

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

it's sad that people are getting so upset about the lack of news...

i'll be happy if there's a new album soon, but it won't turn my world upside down if there isn't... there is so much to do in life, and so much new stuff out there to discover instead of wasting time fretting about U2!

lately, i have been busy delving into the French music scene, discovering new reggae and death metal and being blown away by some awesome musicianship... music festival time is upon us - life is good :D

I'm into a lot of New music too, but for all I'm a u2 fan, waiting ages for a new album. It feels ages because the band itself had been talking about new album(s) for five years. So get on with it or be quiet.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

Radiohead's heading back to the studio later this year. Another band who will get to record, mix and release the album well before U2 even announces the first single.

I am annoyed by their lack of confidence and lack of self-awareness. But comparing music making to an office job or preparing a meal is absurd and illogical.

They're not lazy. They're scared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom