LP13 - Just Give Us Some F*&king News...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's sad that people u2 are getting so upset about the lack of news food...

i'll Bono will be happy if there's a new album Mario Batali restaraunt soon, but it won't turn my world his pineapple upside down cake sour if there isn't... there is so much to do eat in life Eze, and so much new stuff out there to discover devour instead of wasting time fretting about U2! working on a new album.

lately, i have Bono has been busy delving into the French music pizza scene, discovering new reggae and death metal mozzarella and sausage and being blown away by some awesome musicianship peperoni... music festival time backyard bbq grilling time is upon us - life is good heavy as a truck :D

the Beatles were babies back then though and full of energy - makes a huge difference... the 60s were buzzing and rock n roll was new and exciting... things are so different today...

maybe 30+ years into a career you start to run out of ideas and inspiration, who knows!

Well, there's also the fact they had the benefit of having two superb songwriters that would knock out classic songs constantly.

The best comparison for "lazy" U2 is a 60's band that had arguably the best songwriting team ever, and fuzzy math comparison with a much younger band...Keep trying.
(if we're doing down that road...The Killers have had 4 albums in 10 years since 2004's Hot Fuss. U2 had 6 albums in their first decade as a band).

So wait. Because you bought a CD or 12, that nobody made you buy, or concerts you attended, that nobody forced you to attend ... it makes you... what?

Entitled, apparently.

Of course, the comparison of artists and office jobs, and art and products doesn't apply either.

Guys I've been waiting 10 years for the next Jesus Jones album, they fucking owe me!!! I mean I actually bought those other albums, yes by choice, when are they going to pay me back. Fucking lazy bastards.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Please note that I was saying specifically that I don't like being jerked around. When a band doesn't tell me expect an album, I don't.

Please note that I was saying specifically that I don't like being jerked around. When a band doesn't tell me expect an album, I don't.

That's what I think. Pink Floyd release an album after more than 20 years. Nobody expected that. That's fine. U2's SOA was expected early 2010 first! The band even told Rolling stone that it's first single would be Every Breaking Wave... Now, I, as a fan, was very happy to read about that. Since that time the band has been giving their fans hope. 'album out in spring' ' should be out in the fall' etc.. Bono's back injury would have helped him writing a lot of (great) songs and so on so on so on. Things went on a peak last year when Larry talked to Dave Fanning and Bono said they had 6 reasons to exist or something like that. Man, what are they thinking? U2 fans have a lot of patience, believe me. The band should be less arrogant, they have no reason to be that. Please go back to the music and enjoy your work, rather than making commercial 'shit'. The fans WILL FOLLOW.

That's what I think. Pink Floyd release an album after more than 20 years. Nobody expected that. That's fine. U2's SOA was expected early 2010 first! The band even told Rolling stone that it's first single would be Every Breaking Wave... Now, I, as a fan, was very happy to read about that. Since that time the band has been giving their fans hope. 'album out in spring' ' should be out in the fall' etc.. Bono's back injury would have helped him writing a lot of (great) songs and so on so on so on. Things went on a peak last year when Larry talked to Dave Fanning and Bono said they had 6 reasons to exist or something like that. Man, what are they thinking? U2 fans have a lot of patience, believe me. The band should be less arrogant, they have no reason to be that. Please go back to the music and enjoy your work, rather than making commercial 'shit'. The fans WILL FOLLOW.

The reason you're disappointed is that your facts are incorrect.

The reason you're disappointed is that your facts are incorrect.

What ' s incorrect then in your opinion?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

What ' s incorrect then in your opinion?

Only Bono mentioned SOA, and I don't think it was ever stated that EBW was going to be the first single. In fact Larry scoffed at the idea of SOA. It was 10 reasons to exist and it was Bono saying they wouldn't release another album until they had 10 reasons. It got misconstrued and irresponsible journalists reported it as an album title for awhile. It seems like you're confusing and twisting little nuggets of info as actual news or press releases. You seem to do this quite a bit, no wonder you're so frustrated.

It's my business because they're asking me to pay money that I worked for to have the privilege of listening to this music that "4 men in their mid 50s" make. I care because I've spent thousands of dollars on material that this band has released over the past 35 years, and my money has contributed to the lifestyle they lead. As has yours, and everyone else's here. So yes, they ought to care what we as the source of the cash that lines their pockets think about what they do with their time. They chose this career, and have become very wealthy men as a result of money that I have paid. I think I'm entitled to have an opinion. By the way, I would advise you not to lip me again and/or call me names like that because I haven't said anything like that to you. Do it again and you won't like the response.

I like the band and I obviously want them to succeed. I want new material, but I also don't want them to end up like the Rolling Stones where they put out album after album of total garbage as an excuse to go out on tour until they are 100 and literally cannot stand up behind their instruments anymore. If they are going to release good stuff and put effort into it, then great. But if they're just going to put out something four high school kids could write just to justify , and take 5+ years to do it, then fuck this band. This album really is going to be a complete crossroads for me in the story of my "U2 fandom".

Your argument fails because you received goods in exchange for the money you paid. Debt settled. They aren't asking you to buy anything either. If you like it you will, if you don't you won't. Like they care at all.

How did I call you names? Your post was arrogant and ignorant - those are facts. And no one likes a keyboard warrior posting threats. Have a great day :)

As someone who has directly contributed money to them, I disagree. Just because my bank has made a boatload of cash in innovative ways does not mean that I should expect a lower quality of service simply because "they've earned the right" to work however they want to. I'm a paying customer and just as I would expect a certain level of service from any other business I have contributed significant monies, time, and loyalty to, I feel I have a right to expect the same from U2, Inc.

This is not to say they need to put out an album every single year, but at this point either it's total writer's block or the album isn't very good and they're trying desperately to save it, or they just don't care enough.

What a stupid analogy. They aren't a service provider! They produce finite products. If you pay for a car outright and it fails after 30 years you are entitled to NOTHING.

definition-of-rock-bottom-13079.jpg

What I get from that video is that they were already confused in 2009 and the last 5 years hasn't helped. Larry is so defensive, but that's probably because the interviewer is a total u2 novice.

U2 has an unfortunate habit of broadcasting possibilities to fans (sometimes officially, sometimes unofficially), and not delivering. They started doing this actively on the run-up to NLOTH and - unfortunately - it hasn't stopped. It's like Willy Wonka repeatedly indicating he might open his chocolate factory; you see a little smoke coming out of the chimney from time to time; Willy walks out the door and greets the people from time to time; he might even have a couple of pieces of chocolate; but he doesn't deliver the load of chocolate he claims he's been working on. They obviously struggle to deliver a quality batch of music nowadays (due to perfectionism or lack of motivation or lack of ideas or whatever), and they won't follow their managers' advice to go get arrested in a prostitution sting so the band at least has a continued presence in the media, so they've fallen into this habit of teasing their fans - which sucks (and seems like a very crappy way to wind down such a wonderful career). There is the occasional sniplet of news about a U2 member contributing to a good cause (e.g., the Edge with Music Rising), but - y'know - this is a band and people turn to bands for music and entertainment. To me, it's better if they just go away for a while and spring something on us when the time is right (or just decide to retire peacefully - they have nothing else to prove and, in my opinion, they're tarnishing their reputation a tad bit lately, at least to a few in their core fan base like me).

Only Bono mentioned SOA, and I don't think it was ever stated that EBW was going to be the first single. In fact Larry scoffed at the idea of SOA. It was 10 reasons to exist and it was Bono saying they wouldn't release another album until they had 10 reasons. It got misconstrued and irresponsible journalists reported it as an album title for awhile. It seems like you're confusing and twisting little nuggets of info as actual news or press releases. You seem to do this quite a bit, no wonder you're so frustrated.

Oh Come on... are you here for the first time or are you Bono yourself? I'm definately not the only frustrated fan here. You can't deny that bandmembers stated an album would come out several times the past 5 years. And EBW was indeed called to be the first single of SOA. About the early release of an album after NLOTH even Larry said he wanted a quick follow up. Time after time they are throwing bones to their fans. Only two singlereleases we got and only as digital or limited vinyl releases (3, if you count the wide awake europe ep). Where are the remastered versions of Rattle and Hum and Zooropa? Where is the U2 3d release? Sorry, but most bands do better without being arrogant. And yes, to end somewhat positive, I like Ordinary Love and Invisible a lot!

U2 has an unfortunate habit of broadcasting possibilities to fans (sometimes officially, sometimes unofficially), and not delivering. They started doing this actively on the run-up to NLOTH and - unfortunately - it hasn't stopped. It's like Willy Wonka repeatedly indicating he might open his chocolate factory; you see a little smoke coming out of the chimney from time to time; Willy walks out the door and greets the people from time to time; he might even have a couple of pieces of chocolate; but he doesn't deliver the load of chocolate he claims he's been working on. They obviously struggle to deliver a quality batch of music nowadays (due to perfectionism or lack of motivation or lack of ideas or whatever), and they won't follow their managers' advice to go get arrested in a prostitution sting so the band at least has a continued presence in the media, so they've fallen into this habit of teasing their fans - which sucks (and seems like a very crappy way to wind down such a wonderful career). There is the occasional sniplet of news about a U2 member contributing to a good cause (e.g., the Edge with Music Rising), but - y'know - this is a band and people turn to bands for music and entertainment. To me, it's better if they just go away for a while and spring something on us when the time is right (or just decide to retire peacefully - they have nothing else to prove and, in my opinion, they're tarnishing their reputation a tad bit lately, at least to a few in their core fan base like me).

There is truth in some of this, and it can be summarized one way by saying:
they are lost. Not "in the music", but simply lost. They are in a position like no one before, and what is annoying/depressing/aggravating is that this band that's led the way for the last 30 years apparently doesn't know how to go about their next step.

:doh: this was in 2009.... and according to this the album should have been out in 2012 and not 2015 foking a .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYoZfNEoy1g

Someone explain to me Larry's explanation of why NLOTH took so long including "we've done the Super Bowl"...that was 2002, before Bomb, how did that slow down te process for No Line exactly?

These guys can't even keep their excuses straight.

I don't think there's anything they can do to change the way people see U2, except not giving a fuck, which will never happen. If they released a bunch of weird songs with no regard for that big "One-Beautiful Day-Vertigo" song, the world might go "hmmm...they don't care anymore...interesting!" But they might also go "this is U2? Where's the stadium anthem? Where's the love? Where's the passion? Anthems! Anthems! Where are the bloody anthems???!!" Moral of the story: they're fucked. Anything they release now is bound to be horrible. Either it's 1) Too transparently U2, shit we've heard b4, uninspired pandering crap....or 2) not transparent enough, not enough like we've heard b4, not pandering enough, crap for trying to be something other than crap. There's nothing they can do. It's their fault. But I don't care. I look forward to the trainwreck. In the meantime, there's so much in the land of books, films, music, art, travel...anything to keep us inspired in this transient life. To be pissed off about the next U2 album that is bound to suck anyway is just a hilarious thing to be pissed about. Maybe a few years ago I would've been frustrated. But these days...I'm absolutely without hope for this band, and you know what? That might be the best position to be in! Nowhere to go but up! But yea, I really really doubt this album is going to be good. I think they're out of touch, not just as artists, but as regular human beings.

Someone explain to me Larry's explanation of why NLOTH took so long including "we've done the Super Bowl"...that was 2002, before Bomb, how did that slow down te process for No Line exactly?

These guys can't even keep their excuses straight.

He may have meant the Superdome, back when they performed Saints in 2006? That's what I've always assumed, anyway.

He may have meant the Superdome, back when they performed Saints in 2006? That's what I've always assumed, anyway.

I think that performance is still holding back this album as well. Years and years of preparation went into that performance.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Look guys. McGuinness said albums are taking longer. So we should expect they take longer. The band have families, but the biggest problem is expectations. Adam said in the BBC interview said that they are competing against themselves. The entire "From the Sky Down" documentary shows how tough it is to reinvent yourself successfully. Bono has stated that fans will wait for an album if it's good.

When they delay an album it's because it hasn't reached the quality they want to give fans yet. Whether different fans will agree with how good it is, is up to us and the band are aware that Danger Mouse's style is different and many may not like it because of their expectations.

There are fans in different camps that want to hear early style U2 vs. ambient vs. kraut-rock vs. 2000s era vs. something so different they can't explain how. One camp or another is likely to dislike the new album simply because it doesn't conform to their expectations.

Most bands aren't in this situation so U2 are being very careful.

Look guys. McGuinness said albums are taking longer. So we should expect they take longer. The band have families, but the biggest problem is expectations. Adam said in the BBC interview said that they are competing against themselves. The entire "From the Sky Down" documentary shows how tough it is to reinvent yourself successfully. Bono has stated that fans will wait for an album if it's good.

When they delay an album it's because it hasn't reached the quality they want to give fans yet. Whether different fans will agree with how good it is, is up to us and the band are aware that Danger Mouse's style is different and many may not like it because of their expectations.

There are fans in different camps that want to hear early style U2 vs. ambient vs. kraut-rock vs. 2000s era vs. something so different they can't explain how. One camp or another is likely to dislike the new album simply because it doesn't conform to their expectations.

Most bands aren't in this situation so U2 are being very careful.

True, but maybe they are being way too careful?

I think Bono should grow his hair out. Edge should shave his face. Adam should bring back the afro. And Larry should wear a mask. That would be a step in the right direction. Appearances are important.

True, but maybe they are being way too careful?

How do we know that? If they are working on 2 albums and the technology allows them lots of leeway to try different mixes it should take a long time. I would rather they come up with the best they can because once the album is out the opportunity is gone to improve it, except for live interpretations.

Not news, but Bono, Edge and Larry were seen at Nile Rodgers' show in Monte Carlo earlier tonight.
Instagram

Where are the PLEBAns and their indicators? :wink:

You can write and record a lot of music in 4 months, much less 4 years. I just find it hard to grasp...as a songwriter myself, that it would take this long to come up with 10, 12 songs that you totally believe in. You wouldn't follow the song idea down the rabbit hole if you didn't at least believe in it to some extent. Then, 4 band members, plus a producer (or two or three), you're talking about a lot of people that have the ability to say "this is not working" well before there is too much wasted time.

Take the HTDAAB sessions. All in all, it was only about two years. And that had a scrapped album in the middle of it.

Nah, I am not so pessimistic about the time it's taking. I think it has to serve a purpose.

I think they're recording two albums. Just like the most reliable band member said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom