Looneyville, Texas, United States Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had The Crooked Fiddle Band, who were mediocre and formulaic. How did you find Shellac?

We had Bonnie Mercer, who just plays sustained distortion for half an hour. It'd be a cool intro or outro or something, but it went nowhere. Shellac, on the other hand, were pretty damn great and the crowd was into it. I loved the Q&A.

We got two Q&As! Steve had to tune after a song and it took ages, so we got additional questions! The extended version of Prayer To God kicked ass, and the long version of The End Of Radio made my chest hurt in a way no show ever has before.

Coming out, no ambient buzz, no hello and busting straight into Canada is such a great opening to a concert.

We got two Q&As! Steve had to tune after a song and it took ages, so we got additional questions! The extended version of Prayer To God kicked ass, and the long version of The End Of Radio made my chest hurt in a way no show ever has before.

Coming out, no ambient buzz, no hello and busting straight into Canada is such a great opening to a concert.

We actually got three! I think there were only meant to be two, but so many people were yelling out things that before the final song they did a third.

My favourite: "Who does your hair?" "My pillow."

Also I was surprised they don't use any foldbacks on stage.

Huh, you're totally right. Odd!

Someone called Albini sexist and derailed the concert for a solid five minutes in Sydney, and apparently some dickhead threw water at Todd Trainer for the entire Brisbane show, so I guess I wish I saw them in the Australian Mexico.

Huh, you're totally right. Odd!

Someone called Albini sexist and derailed the concert for a solid five minutes in Sydney, and apparently some dickhead threw water at Todd Trainer for the entire Brisbane show, so I guess I wish I saw them in the Australian Mexico.

Having no foldbacks meant Steve's mic was right on the edge of stage and I was in front of him, so whenever he sang I was basically craning my neck right up. I actually came out with a sore neck like I'd been headbanging hard!

Wow, how did Steve respond to the person calling him sexist? No idea how the first Melbourne show went, but the second one felt like a good atmosphere. There was a brief drama when some people were trying to mosh quite vigorously and pissed off the people near them, who asked Bob to tell a couple of guys to leave. But he defused it by basically telling the people who wanted to mosh to stick to one part of the room and it seemed generally OK from then.

And do Steve and Bob end every show by taking apart Todd's kit as he plays? That was pretty funny.

Having no foldbacks meant Steve's mic was right on the edge of stage and I was in front of him, so whenever he sang I was basically craning my neck right up. I actually came out with a sore neck like I'd been headbanging hard!

Wow, how did Steve respond to the person calling him sexist? No idea how the first Melbourne show went, but the second one felt like a good atmosphere. There was a brief drama when some people were trying to mosh quite vigorously and pissed off the people near them, who asked Bob to tell a couple of guys to leave. But he defused it by basically telling the people who wanted to mosh to stick to one part of the room and it seemed generally OK from then.

And do Steve and Bob end every show by taking apart Todd's kit as he plays? That was pretty funny.

So, before Wingwalker they were doing this long spoken word thing about building a plane inside your basement, eventually outgrowing the basement and incinerating everyone around you - Todd and Bob were impersonating planes as Steve was talking. Right at the end, a woman yelled out from behind me "you're being sexist!", and Steve immediately looked like he swallowed a lemon, before beginning to respond to this woman. He basically said that he could understand accusations of sexism in other contexts, but not in this one, that he'd invite her back to discuss it afterwards but that would feed into her image of being sexist, and that he was confused by it but didn't want to engage with it too much because there were 700 other people in the room. People laughed, Steve was funny and the show went on, but the mood was broken.

The woman immediately left after this exchange, for what it's worth.

Yeah, they did that in Sydney as well! It's apparently a bit of a tradition, from one of my acquaintances who'd seen Shellac before - they do Spoke as the ending and then dismantle the drumkit afterwards. It came out of nowhere, especially after a song that is three minutes of screamed nonsense and ridiculousness! Super great.

Wow, that's just fucking weird. They did a similar plane thing in Melbourne - though I don't recall it starting from a premise of building a plane in a basement. If it was anything like what they did in Sydney, you could say it was misanthropic (no shit it's a band involving Steve Albini), but not even a whiff of anything sexist.

Oh, and I loved how somebody asked about their setlist, Bob said they didn't have one, the person pointed to a piece of paper by the drumkit, and Steve's all "no, that's just all the songs we can remember how to play, that's not a setlist". :lol:

I'd love to know! Unfortunately we got nothing beyond "you're being sexist". I think a case could be made if Albini wrote from his own perspective, but he almost never does that in his music, because of the violence involved in a lot of his lyrics (and music)

i'm just trying to understand ... like in what way is building a plane in a basement sexist..? if that's the case than Paul Dempsey is sexist too

Albini is the nicest misanthrope I've ever seen.

If Northcote Social Club is half as good as Newtown Social Club, y'all are spoiled. Seeing Smudge tonight. :)

:love: Northcote Social Club :love:

(Though actually their beer selection is shit.)

I can't wait for wonderful times this Friday!

Neon Indian was amazing last week, obviously. I was unbelievably drunk (the show didn't start til midnight and pints were $6, so we were getting rekt) but I did hi-five Alan twice, and Tkay Maidza was in the crowd and she waved at me! It was a really great crowd, I was worried because Adelaide crowds tend to be awful, frightened and feeble creatures, but no, this was great. Heaps of fun. Guys this is gonna be great! Just great.

I can't wait for wonderful times this Friday!

Neon Indian was amazing last week, obviously. I was unbelievably drunk (the show didn't start til midnight and pints were $6, so we were getting rekt) but I did hi-five Alan twice, and Tkay Maidza was in the crowd and she waved at me! It was a really great crowd, I was worried because Adelaide crowds tend to be awful, frightened and feeble creatures, but no, this was great. Heaps of fun. Guys this is gonna be great! Just great.

Do you happen to know her personally? When I was in first year at university she was in the 'sister' degree for a while before her music really took off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom