Looneyville, Texas, United States Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interferf is advertising some tart named Jamie Lawson going on tour, for a moment I thought my name was finally up in big lights on the top of the board as I have so requested. :angry:

Okay. So I missed many pages of this thread, and I came back and skimmed through it all. It got VERY AUSTRALIAN in here with all the booze. Then got rescued by romantic cat movies. :up:

The weird thing about writer's block when it comes to music is when you're able to take the work of others and expand upon it and come up with your own arrangements with four-part harmonies and instrumentation that is not standard (mandolins and mellotrons, for instance). For the life of me I cannot finish an original song right now without feeling like I'm on autopilot after writing one verse or a chorus.

I should reply to the stuff above but first can I gush a bit? No? OK I'll gush a lot then.

So guys. Guys. You know The Hotelier, the totally awesome band who made one of last year's best and most emotionally powerful albums? Yeah you do. Well they're in Australia right now and that in itself is pretty much amazing and of course I went, I even blew off a day of a conference in New Zealand to come home early for their Friday gig.

Now, they have this song called "Our Lives Would Make a Sad, Boring Movie". In the acknowledgements section of my book I talk about how important music has been to writing it. At the end, I quote a great line from that song about how you should enjoy the simple things in life because you can, like family, friends, community, and local bands.

After Friday's set I spoke to them and in the course the quote came up. They told me they don't play the song and have almost never played it live. But they checked to see if I was coming to tonight's show. I said I was, but didn't think too much of it. I figured they get people telling them all kinds of stories about how important their songs have been and they would probably forget about it, or if they didn't they certainly wouldn't learn the song for some guy they haven't met before.

Well. Weeeell.

THEY PLAYED IT TONIGHT AND THEY DEDICATED IT TO ME AND I SHOUTED EVERY WORD AND FELT LIKE I WAS FLOATING ON AIR THE WHOLE SONG I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT AND I STILL CAN'T.

HOLY SHIT GUYS IT WAS BASICALLY THE BEST THING EVER AND THEY ARE INCREDIBLE BLOKES AND WOW. I WILL NEVER FUCKING FORGET THIS FEELING.

Now I'm just listening to it on repeat and enjoying another one of the simple things in life, a Central Otago pinot noir. Fuck me this is living.

SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC.

Still walking on air today. :up:

Skip to 3:10 and tell me this isn't worthy of a new installment of Horrible Music Hour:

What the hell. Is this guy actually trying to make every new song shittier than the last?

It got VERY AUSTRALIAN in here with all the booze.

This is, of course, a good thing.

The weird thing about writer's block when it comes to music is when you're able to take the work of others and expand upon it and come up with your own arrangements with four-part harmonies and instrumentation that is not standard (mandolins and mellotrons, for instance). For the life of me I cannot finish an original song right now without feeling like I'm on autopilot after writing one verse or a chorus.

I don't know about you, and music's obviously different to writing, but I've found the best way to get through writer's block is to just keep going with the autopilot feeling. Sometimes the actual inspiration kicks in, and other times at least it lays a foundation upon which improvements can be made. I've often been surprised how, once I have something substantial down, even if it feels like the most generic shit, I can then go back and edit it into something I'm quite pleased with. So I usually just try to persevere, and make that less difficult to do by creating beer-related rewards for myself if I stick to my objectives.

Work contract not getting renewed. I have two weeks here to officially give zero fucks.

Damn, that sucks man.

That's what I'm wondering! Seems gone. It was fine a couple of days ago!

:up:

I need to hurry up and familiarise myself with more of Shellac's catalogue ahead of Thursday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom