Let's Wager Some Money / First single release speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone know when the Killers or Coldplay released their 1st singles for each respected album?

U2 are really cutting it short with the album hitting the streets in 53 days. I'm guessing January 12th-14th it'll be played somewhere.

I don't know how much help this is, but I e-mailed the local radio station in the Philly area (99.3 WMMR) who usually has all the U2 exclusives. They were actually playing all of HTDAAB the weekend before it came out in the states. Anyway, I asked him about the new single and heres what he said.

Anyway...I guess the label itself doesn't know when they'll be releasing it yet. Not a good sign :slant:
Anybody on here whose friend's in-law's brother works for the record company?? We need a release date!

ACDC released their 1st single off Black Ice on August 28, video released Sept 19, then the album Oct 17/22 depending on region.

and they had 15 tracks on the album

so we consistently see the 2 month gap between single and album in the industry

it's gotta be next week. we're only 51 days from the album release in Ireland. the band HAS to put the single out soon.

How do you know that????

sorry, but this makes ZERO sense.

I don't understand why people keep insisting that U2's moves are based off of or revolving around President-Elect Obama.

It's based off of publicity...not Obama...what are you on.

No it makes perfect sense...it's a marketing thing....just like you wouldn't release a song to radio on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day...atention is focused elsewhere..not on you ...in this case(U2)

I think I dreamed tonight that U2 released Amazing Grace as a b-side. That's fucking sick! Have we read about them recording it somewhere?

It's based off of publicity...not Obama...what are you on.

A computer...what are you on?

No it makes perfect sense...it's a marketing thing....just like you wouldn't release a song to radio on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day...atention is focused elsewhere..not on you ...in this case(U2)

I don't think you are talking "marketing logic" you are speculating based on your own opinions.

Lets take New Year's Eve....your logic says that New Year's Eve would be a bad time because everyone's "attention is focused elsewhere". Really? Well, think about this. Where were many people on that day? at home or out with friends family, etc. Were they watching TV? many were, were they dancing and listening to music...many were. Did they watch the New Year's TV shows with live acts and such? many were. Would it be a "bad idea" to have a band release their single to radio on that day and then follow it up by playing at one of those shows? of course not. See what I mean. If you delve deeper and think "outside of the box" then you see how it could work during a time when people's "attention are focused elsewhere"

Will Obama's event be televised? Will there be commercials? Ever see the U2 ipod commercial????? couldn't they have somekind of promo then? See what I mean? Think "outside of the box" and you see what is possible.

THAT is why I don't understand YOUR logic. People like YOU say it CAN'T be done, and people like me say "WHY NOT?" That my friend, is truly a MARKETING thing.

Anyone know when the Killers or Coldplay released their 1st singles for each respected album?

U2 are really cutting it short with the album hitting the streets in 53 days. I'm guessing January 12th-14th it'll be played somewhere.

Not sure about U2-lite, but the killers were WAY in advance. Official release was 22/9, and it leaked a couple of days earlier.

^ i'd say POP

I think with NLOTH they were simply tweaking tracks in mid December

for POP, I think they had far too many groovy nights and heavy drinking with Howie B

Not sure about U2-lite, but the killers were WAY in advance. Official release was 22/9, and it leaked a couple of days earlier.

The Killers - Human - first radio play - September 22 - album - November 24

Coldplay - Violet Hill - first radio play (free website download) - April 29 - album - June 11 (Japan), June 12 (UK), June 17 (USA)

So Coldplay had less then 2 months in between. A little more than 6 weeks.

Saw the following on rollingstone.com :

Kelly Clarkson's new album will be out March 19st. First single to hit the radio : January 19th

Also :

Tracklist for 50 cent's new album due out sometime in February was released yesterday.

A new Eminem track (album due in spring) leaked online yesterday.

I'm betting that it leaks on Saturday. We've heard rumors of several stations claiming that they'll play it Monday, and we usually get a hold of the song 2 days before the official radio date. That's what happened with Vertigo anyway.

from atu2

NEW @U2 NEW SINGLE COMING SOON
January 07, 2009
posted by: m2
We're hearing lots of buzz about the first single from U2's new album, which is expected to be "Get On Your Boots." Confirming anything has been a challenge today, but here's what we think we know:

A fan in Boston tell us that WBCN radio announced on-air yesterday that the new U2 single will "hit the airwaves" next week. WBCN is, of course, a longtime U2-friendly radio station.
But, a good source elsewhere is saying the single won't be on US radio until January 19.
We do know that US radio stations typically receive new singles on Thursdays or Fridays for airing the following week. So, it sounds like the new single should be out in the next week or two at most. We've got feelers out in a bunch of places, and we'll update this as we hear more.

On a semi-related note, U2tour.de is reporting that the UK standard version of No Line On The Horizon will include a bonus track. The UK and Japan typically get these bonus tracks. U2tour.de also expects the bonus track will be available on some of the limited editions of the album, too.

from atu2

January 07, 2009
We're hearing lots of buzz about the first single from U2's new album, which is expected to be "Get On Your Boots." Confirming anything has been a challenge today, but here's what we think we know:

A fan in Boston tell us that WBCN radio announced on-air yesterday that the new U2 single will "hit the airwaves" next week. WBCN is, of course, a longtime U2-friendly radio station.
But, a good source elsewhere is saying the single won't be on US radio until January 19.
We do know that US radio stations typically receive new singles on Thursdays or Fridays for airing the following week. So, it sounds like the new single should be out in the next week or two at most. We've got feelers out in a bunch of places, and we'll update this as we hear more.

On a semi-related note, U2tour.de is reporting that the UK standard version of No Line On The Horizon will include a bonus track. The UK and Japan typically get these bonus tracks. U2tour.de also expects the bonus track will be available on some of the limited editions of the album, too.

:hyper: :applaud: :drool: (ok, I'm done)

from atu2

January 07, 2009

whiel it si aweosme that we finally have some sort or semi-reliable news, I cant help but feel deflated that it is still a week and a half away!

Contacted different radio stations in Kansas City, MO who play U2 and this is what I have heard so far.

96.5 The Buzz: They do not know of an exact date of when they will get the single, but expect it to be next week. As people have already stated on the forum, since the album is set for March 3, singles come out 5-6 weeks on the radio before the album release, which would put it at between January 20-27. They plan on featuring both the single and U2 quite heavily in the upcoming weeks leading up the release date.

105.1 Jack FM: The program director, Bryan Truta, formerly a DJ on The Planet (whom I told HTDAAB had leaked and on a Saturday and they contact Interscope and the company wasn't aware the album had leaked), said "I just checked my digital download from the record label and there's no indication of when the new single will be here. As soon as I hear something about it I'll let you know and we'll probably feature it in some capacity on the air."

98.9 The Rock: Paul Marshall, the Music Director said "We'll get it...we won't play it". That's a shame.

Mix 93.3: They will get it and will play it and expect it to be this month.

whiel it si aweosme that we finally have some sort or semi-reliable news, I cant help but feel deflated that it is still a week and a half away!

maybe. one source says next week, the other says a week and a half. either way, it's literally just around the corner. be excited.

I think by next weekend we'll be able to enjoy the new single.

U2 Lady's and Gentleman....the band to test the fans patience. :drool:

I'm assuming that 98.9 The Rock is the hard rock station in that area? We have Lazer 103.3 which plays the Metallica's and harder sounding bands.....

What was kind of funny was to hear Vertigo on that station a few times, and then quickly dumped. Although the DJ stated something the time I heard it on that station that he was happy to hear U2 coming up with a much harder guitar sound riff for once.

If downloads count towards radio airplay (top 40) then expect U2's single to be all over the radio in the next 2 months.

Back
Top Bottom