Larry talks about Glasto setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think they're going to open with Mofo. I don't think any Pop songs will be played, but in my opinion it is a must since they're playing a festival. At least one song. :wink:

I would prefer an Achtung Baby overload at the start, moving Streets towards the end. Maybe take out Zooropa and Crazy Tonight (they belong in 360, though I will be surprised if they appear at Glasto) and add some other classics - Bad? We shall see.

I just hope they come out guns a'blazing, they can close the set with With or Without you if they must, as long as they come on stage with a real punk-rock attitude.
I'm getting tired of reading/hearing this "they're too old to play rock music"-thing.

I want one of those moments where I think to myself, "This band is SO COOL."
I want proof to every U2-skeptic I know that they're the biggest band in the world for a reason.
I want them to make me proud to be a U2 fan.

I think they're going to.

I admit it, I'm totally hyped.

:hyper:

I agree.

I think I've forgotten too quickly that when the show was set for last year this band WROTE A SONG for Glastonbury. Regardless of what you think of the song, the ambition is undeniable.

They were thinking big from the start and have had another year to stew on it.

I would be shocked if I weren't shocked by several major facets of the performance.

Here's the set I would use, because I don't feel like using the designated fantasy thread.

Explosive mindfuck intro:

1. Zoo Station
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing
3. The Fly
4. No Line On The Horizon
5. Until The End of the World

Section for the casuals:

6. New Year's Day
7. I Will Follow
8. Out of Control
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. Pride
11. Beautiful Day

Hardcore fan-baiting section:

12. The Unforgettable Fire
13. Zooropa
14. Crazy Tonight
15. Mofo
16. Discotheque

Because you have to close out the main set somehow:

17. Miss Sarajevo
18. One
19. Streets

Encore:

20. Breathe
22. HMTMKMKM
22. Ultraviolet
23. WOWY
24. MOS
25. Bad/40

If they have something to prove, this would prove just about any and every last thing.

:applaud:

Damn, I want to see that show. And only 3 of them haven't been played this tour.

I'd love the appearance of 40 in full, but it has to be the closer. That following MOS would have made the finish of 360 so much stronger.

If they really are planning to do a greatest hits set then we should expect at least one song from October and POP.

October will probably be Gloria. . .or maybe they'll keep Scarlet?

POP - most likely candidate: Staring At The Sun, acoustic with just Bono and Edge. And they'll walk out onto the B-stage that they'll most certainly bring with them and it will be fine.
POP - song they SHOULD play: Mofo. Easiest way to send out a big "FUCK YOU" to all the haters and doubters that will be in the crowd.

Overall though, the band has my complete trust for this show. I'm sure whatever they do they will go on stage with a bang, have a bunch of bangs in the middle, and they will be sure to go out with a bang.

These are the songs that I would die if they got played at Glastonbury:

Love Is Blindness
Last Night On Earth
Kite
New York
Out of Control
Drowning Man
Dirty Day

Funny that some people here are talking about " A big fuck you to the haters"...You do realize it is okay to dislike a band purely based on personal taste right? That being said. They should really blow the crowd away wit ha great set. It is problably the same, it just sounds a bit more positive..

Disliking a band based on personal taste and hating a band because of popularity are two very different things. I'm assuming the latter is what everyone was referring to.

Disliking a band based on personal taste and hating a band because of popularity are two very different things. I'm assuming the latter is what everyone was referring to.

you are right of course but how can you tell? There are people who dislike music that is considered mainstream and played on the radio 1822728 times a day and if you would ask them they would say, I don;t like that kind of music.
Nedermind :lol:

Anyway, they will open with streets if I interpretate Larry correctly..

Here's the set I would use, because I don't feel like using the designated fantasy thread.

Explosive mindfuck intro:

1. Zoo Station
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing
3. The Fly
4. No Line On The Horizon
5. Until The End of the World

Section for the casuals:

6. New Year's Day
7. I Will Follow
8. Out of Control
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. Pride
11. Beautiful Day

Hardcore fan-baiting section:

12. The Unforgettable Fire
13. Zooropa
14. Crazy Tonight
15. Mofo
16. Discotheque

Because you have to close out the main set somehow:

17. Miss Sarajevo
18. One
19. Streets

Encore:

20. Breathe
22. HMTMKMKM
22. Ultraviolet
23. WOWY
24. MOS
25. Bad/40

If they have something to prove, this would prove just about any and every last thing.

take out Crazy Tonight and HMTMKMKM (not a song peeps will be familiar with at Glastonbury and it's not really one of their best for such a killer slot imo) and that would be pretty good!

eta: and take out Breathe as well zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D

there has to be some Still haven't found in there, it's a CLASSIC

oh, and put Stay in there too, thanks :D

Open with 11'O Clock Tick Tock.

DAMN STRAIGHT.

take out Crazy Tonight and HMTMKMKM (not a song peeps will be familiar with at Glastonbury and it's not really one of their best for such a killer slot imo) and that would be pretty good!

Why would you take out HMTMKMKM, a popular single and a big balls-to-the-wall rocker that melts faces and rams home the nineties emphasis they apparently want?

Did you just write z's next to Breathe?

:tsk:

I think you meant to give the :tsk: to mama cass's ISHFWILF comment and a big :up: to the Breathe comment.

Why would you take out HMTMKMKM, a popular single and a big balls-to-the-wall rocker that melts faces and rams home the nineties emphasis they apparently want?

I think you meant to give the :tsk: to mama cass's ISHFWILF comment and a big :up: to the Breathe comment.

meh it didn't melt my face when i saw it last year, much preferred the passionate rendition of UV in that slot the year before... what is it with boys and their melt-your-face rockers? i think U2 need to be more girlie :D

c'mon though Axver, you have to admit that Still haven't found is a classic the Glastonbury crowd could well sing along to? could be a big moment... they're not as tired of the song as us lot are ;) (mind you, i do admit that it has been awesome all the times i've seen it live over the years, although i've only seen a handful of U2 concerts compared to many of you guys)

As someone who actually saw them play Breathe in person multiple times, I'll tell you it was not a zzzzz moment, and not just because I love the song.

i saw them play it live too, but just the once though... that was quite enough for me ;)

(apart from the drum intro, that bit is lovely)

the crowd didn't really take off with it though, not like with other openers...

plus i just really really have an aversion to the song :reject:

I love Breathe, but it was never really the best choice for an opener. It could have worked later in the setlist, though.

They should open with Is That All? seguing into Ito Okashi seguing into acoustic BTBS.

Lemel has a point there.

Streets into Mofo and/or opening with Mofo.

:hmm:

Somehow I don't see this at this career retrospective/once in a lifetime/greatest hits set Willie Williams said they are planning. Chronologically this covers all the bases for hits/biggest live songs -

IFW, Gloria, NYD, SBS, Pride, Bad, Streets/WOWY/Still haven't found/Bullet the blue sky/Desire/MW/One/UTEOTW/Batman song/Discotheque/BD/Vertigo. Close with 40.

The rest filled out with NLOTH songs. Makes everyone happy. Die hards and casuals.

It will be a true shock if anything off Pop gets played in Glastonbury.

Opener ? New EBTTRT seems to work well enough.

I can see why they wanted to open with Streets last year, but I don't think that's the right move this year, nor do I think they'll actually do it.

It's just as Larry said, "Where do they go from there?"

And everyone will be looking forward to that one more than any other song. I'm sure they'll save it for the encore.

People are living in cuckoo land if they think U2 will play Mofo at Glastonbury. I doubt they'll play anything off Pop. A very, very, very slight chance maybe of Discotheque or Staring at the sun but nothing else.

Goes something like this - 4 or 5 off Achtung Baby, 4 off Joshua Tree, 2 off War, 2 off TUF, 1 off Boy, 2 off Rattle, 2 or 3 off ATYCLB, 2 off HTDAAB and maybe Boots and Stay in there somewhere.:wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom