Larry speaks about new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HURHURHUR it's gonna be out in 2016!!!!

tumblr_mac3x3mzkj1ruj2iwo1_400.gif

lol They're in the middle of the process? Fucking really?

Our descendents will hear the album when it's thawed from a glacier in fall 3013.

Well, taking that quote at face value, I guess that well and truly blows the theory that they have an almost completed album ready to go, out of the water. It's probably safe to assume that they are not sitting on the album, biding their time until Fall. More worryingly, a rift may have opened up within the band. Judging by his "two albums" quote, Larry seems the most optimistic. Adam is erring on the side of caution. Edge is completely non-committal as per usual. And Bono just doesn't seem to want to know anymore.

Well, taking that quote at face value, I guess that well and truly blows the theory that they have an almost completed album ready to go, out of the water. It's probably safe to assume that they are not sitting on the album, biding their time until Fall. More worryingly, a rift may have opened up within the band. Judging by his "two albums" quote, Larry seems the most optimistic. Adam is erring on the side of caution. Edge is completely non-committal as per usual. And Bono just doesn't seem to want to know anymore.

Either that or, having tried the 'look inside the studio' extremely open route the last time out, they're leading us on a not necessarily deliberate, but consciously light-on-information campaign to try and throw everyone off the scent and buy themselves some breathing space. I still think Larry is the most honest of them all and that Bono is dying to tell everyone what's happening but has been told to keep quiet.

I actually truly hope that they're rowing over the music and where to go next - the energy would surely produce something very interesting. It's been known to work before you know...

U2 are back in the studio and are currently working on their next album. "We're in the middle of it at the moment. It should be finished by the end of the year," Clayton added.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/music-helped-save-me-and-u2-bandmates-from-depression-says-clayton-29082133.html

That's a really interesting article... I enjoyed reading it.

I'm really not bothered by the quote about it being done by the end of the year. It's not really incompatible with anything that anyone else has said. And even if the release is Spring 2014, we'll live.

I still think we get a Album November-ish and this kinda bears that out.

The article was fantastic and I give Adam a lot of credit talking so candidly about depression.

As a side note with the appearance that Led Zeppelin might be touring next summer I wonder if this might change U2's tour in any way? Remember a couple of years ago Roger Waters didn't tour stadiums because of U2's 360 tour.

Watching the video it looks as Adam was more trying to just dodge the whole "whens the new album coming" question as he was cleary there to talk about something else. Towards the end of the year IMO is the months of Oct Nov and Dec, so that seems to be right in line with Larrys and Edges comments.

That was a lovely interview.
I don't see the "one more record" comment as being a "that's all we're ever going to do!" type of statement. It seemed more of an offhanded, "yea, we've got one more we're working on right now." I'm not too worried.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is their last album. I've been predicting this all along. I really think the band is heavily thinking retirement.

They're too young to retire. I cannot imagine U2 NOT working. But yes, the end of them as a band has to come sooner or later. I could see them departing with one or two new albums and a tour, but I don't think they'll stop making music. And to be honest, what Adam said didn't really sound like that at all. To me it seems he's trying to be tentative about the album and not give too much away. He doesn't even comment on the names the guys bring up as possible (rumoured) producers.

And as for Adam, yes, he clearly wants to talk about the campaign which is a great thing to support :up:

You guys remember Adam talking about NLOTH before it was released? I think it was the summer of 2008. He basically gave a , what album, type of response.

He was at this event to promote an issue in Ireland not the new album. I still think were on track for a Sept-Nov release :)

I wouldn't be surprised if this is their last album. I've been predicting this all along. I really think the band is heavily thinking retirement.

I don't think they are thinking retirement. What I think may be happening this will be the last album in tour in the 3 to 4 year album/tour plan they have been following for quite some time. After this album and tour they are going to do what they feel like doing and not necessarily tour if they release an album and/or do some type of tour without a new album. Or release an album when they feel like it and not have the pressure of planning or going on a tour. Basically it could be the last album and tour under that scenario as they may not feel like doing anymore. But that does not seem to fit their personalities. So I doubt it will be the last album, could be the last full "world" tour though.

Either that or, having tried the 'look inside the studio' extremely open route the last time out, they're leading us on a not necessarily deliberate, but consciously light-on-information campaign to try and throw everyone off the scent and buy themselves some breathing space. I still think Larry is the most honest of them all and that Bono is dying to tell everyone what's happening but has been told to keep quiet.

I actually truly hope that they're rowing over the music and where to go next - the energy would surely produce something very interesting. It's been known to work before you know...

:up: I think you are correct.

I find it a little strange that the reporters asked Adam if U2 would "reunite", as if they had split up. I actually cringed at the Take That comparison :huh:

On the more positive side: Adam's hair looks great, he seems to have finally found a way to tame it. I guess I have to go back to Twitter to ask the hair how it feels these days and if the new look is already a sign of what's to come for the new album/Adam hair era :happy:

I find it a little strange that the reporters asked Adam if U2 would "reunite", as if they had split up. I actually cringed at the Take That comparison :huh:

On the more positive side: Adam's hair looks great, he seems to have finally found a way to tame it. I guess I have to go back to Twitter to ask the hair how it feels these days and if the new look is already a sign of what's to come for the new album/Adam hair era :happy:

If U2 promoted a new album w/ Adam's hair back in Dec. everyone would have just been talking about his hair.

'I really like the new album, the work w/ Danger Mouse is really great &......Adam, for real, what is with the hair?'

Maybe the band was waiting on Adam to get a haircut :up:

This news might give us some more clues:

We had Black Keys talking about wanting to work with Danger Mouse from mid-2013 a while back; now it appears that he will be working with Frank Ocean later this year:http://pitchfork.com/news/49643-fra...album-working-with-pharrell-and-danger-mouse/

If Danger Mouse is all set for his next job, then U2 are probably all set for the return of Lillywhite and the final run-in!

Damn, I forgot it still has to be Lillywhitewashed before we get to hear it. That's an inevitability at this point.

I really hope they release something in 2013. To not do so would be an EPIC FAILURE! I really believe that they didn't start working on the album in earnest until 2012 sometime. I think they spent 2010/early 2011 in between tour legs trying to salvage what they had to release something in spring of 2011, in time for the 2nd N.A. leg and even that rumored 3rd European leg in Aug/Sep 2011. But eventually they gave up, and probably took most of 2011 off from U2 after the tour's end.

If I know U2, they probably lost their enthusiasm for the SOA era songs, and started getting more inspired about new, less completed songs.

Larry has to be closer to the truth than anyone else in the band's camp.
He's always the hold-out. If he's optimistic for 2013, we should be as well.

Back
Top Bottom