Keyboards in Miracle Drug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm no musician so please excuse my ignorance, BUT:

In the Radio 1 performance, we can hear guitar and synths playing at the same time (wow 2 Edges?!). But it sounds like the synth is kinda like an echo of the guitar rather than a separately played part.

Is it possible that this is not a tape or extra musician but somehow an effect from Edge's guitar?

When pressed on such matters, I've seen the band just get uncomfortable and side-step the full question, in the past. I've heard Bono say stuff like, "Well, we put on the best show we can. We know that's what our fans want, so we do all we can to be the best act out there," and other such hooey.

They can claim up and down that it's Edge's guitar, but they're lying scum if they do so. Obviously not live; during the tour, it may actually be played live, but not by The Edge or Bono or Larry or Adam. The band sometimes uses extra musicians under the stage. Look closely and you can actually see them--"they," by the way, are (as far as I know) always keyboard-players. They always do that stuff. I think it's kinda' shitty, but I'll live. "Bad's" my favorite U2 song and that's used a sequencer for about 20 years, now--it's disappointing, but (unfortunately) something the band seems to feel is a necessary evil.

But on the intimate Radio 1 show, I doubt they had room for extra musicians hidden somewhere. And both the synth and guitar featured in the long intro to Miracle Drug (with Bono's story) so I'm sure it wasn't just a backing tape.

Because the synth sounds totally synchronised to the guitar part, I reckon if it's technically possible for it to be some sort of echo effect, then it's more likely to be that than keyboard players in a back room or under stage.

On the ZOO TV or Popmart credits they list someone on 'additional keyboards' . . . .

But I think more times than not the keyboards/synths you're hearing are just a pre-recorded backing track and not "live" by musicians under the stage. I've noticed several times something like the Beautiful Day backing track, the UTEOTW intro or the Kite intro will start as soon as The Edge hits a button on his pedal board.

As for the Miracle Drug thing, I'm pretty sure that is an effect triggered by the guitar. . . a processor determines the note played and triggers a pre-programmed response from the synth. I've seen other musicians use this effect as well.

it is very possible to have synth sounds that come from the guitar in addition to the guitar sounds. This is a common effect. I have played guitar with an effect like that myself.

Back
Top Bottom