June 25, 2010 - Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i suggest we start a petition for Mofo to open the set.
anyone with me? could amount to nothing but it's damn well worth a try. like many of us have said Mofo would be fucking incredible. :drool:

failing a petition we could all just email U2's official site. bombard them with the suggestion. i'm serious.

These petitions never work, and especially for an opener, even though it's a festival U2 are pretty set in opening with new songs.

haha that sounds crazy. If they do play that song I'd die a happy man I have to say!
edit - to the australian U2 post.

Though I agree that Stevie Wonder's material from the 70s being top quality, 80s+90s+00s+10s does technically = four decades of being a "tremendous bore"

Some of those quotes are crazy, the most bizarre for me being "U2 were crap when they began and are still vastly overrated and are one of the reasons why rock music is in such a pitiful state". They are being pinpointed as one of the reasons rock music is as it is nowadays? Is that not a compliment? I'd take partial responsibility for being the reason Coldplay, Killers, Kings of Leon, etc etc exist as a good thing! And outside of the fanbase I don't think U2 are rated much at all. I think they are often viewed as BIG, not necessarily BRILLIANT though. To be fair to the writer, I think U2 were a bit crap in the earliest days though weren't they. Adam's contribution consisted of the word "gig" for a while so I've read. This is all part of attraction for me though, they are real people!

Moving on to Glasto itself, I am hoping for a unique show which is a step away from 360 but have no idea what to expect. I'll be keeping myself away from the 2010 360 setlists so if the show is a carbon copy of that, I won't know until I get home!

I completely agree - and Andy Kershaw was hardly the voice of modern music in the 80s i'm surprised he's still even commenting on music.

I've got a ticket, with 6 mates and a camper van (I've wanted to go to Glastonbury for 15 years - and was adamant this year so happy U2 are playing!).

For the record I think they should bring back one of their greatest festival songs and recently played to boot: Electric Co! and I'm convinced Mofo will be in the new 360 set so hopefully they'll add that too!

There's a lot of speculation about the whole of the North American leg being cancelled which doesn't bode well for Glastonbury at all. I guess if U2 don't play, yes it'll be a huge shame, but there are a load of other great bands playing so that is some consolationish- I imagine in that eventuality they would probably try to get another band to replace them rather than just getting rid of U2's slot at the pyramid stage. :sigh: I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

From MTV U.K.

Dizzee To Replace U2 As Glasto Headliner?

After Bono injures his back…

12:11, Monday, 24 May 2010

Dizzee Rascal has reportedly been asked to headline Glastonbury Festival next month if U2 are forced to pull out.

On Friday it was revealed that Bono needed surgery on his back and that their appearance on the Pyramid stage may be in doubt.

The Irish group have already cancelled some US tour dates as the singer gets treatment in Germany.

Now The Sun reports that Dizz’ could take their place top of the bill on Friday June 25. The paper also says that Glasto farmer Michael Eavis has put in a call to Coldplay- who have headlined the event twice before

This is the actual article everyone else is quoting...with very bad pun at the end. :wink:

Dizzee eyes U2’s Glasto spot | The Sun |Showbiz|Bizarre

Dizzee eyes U2's Glasto spot

Dizzee Rascal's Grime Has Come

Published: Today

BONO busting his back is bad news for him - but not necessarily for the crowds at Glastonbury.

DIZZEE RASCAL has been asked to step up to the plate if the U2 frontman is not well enough to honour his band's Friday night headlining slot on June 25.

Organiser MICHAEL EAVIS has also put in a call to COLDPLAY frontman CHRIS MARTIN to see if the lads are available.

They are back in the studio after their Viva La Vida world tour but are weighing up the logistics of playing Glasto.

I can't help feeling it could be a blessing in disguise if grime star Dizzee, who currently comes before U2 on the Friday night bill, gets to close the evening.

The rapper - who ripped off his top at Radio 1's Big Weekend festival in Wales at the weekend to show how toned he is from kickboxing - is a big enough man for the job.

He has the tunes and charisma to light up Glasto on its 40th anniversary. Hits including Fix Up Look Sharp, Dirtee Disco and Bonkers would bring the Friday night to an epic end.

Bono had emergency spinal surgery in Munich on Friday after injuring his back in rehearsals for their 360� world tour.

He is now recovering in Germany under the care of Bayern Munich FC's club medic Dr Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt, who has treated the likes of JURGEN KLINSMANN, RONALDO, STEVEN GERRARD and MICHAEL OWEN as well as marathon star PAULA RADCLIFFE.

U2 have had to postpone the start of the latest US leg of their tour, which was to take place in Salt Lake City, Utah, on June 3.

And they are expected to announce later this week that they will bow out of Glastonbury.

That would leave their fans very disappointed. The band's anthemic rock is tailor-made for the large crowds drawn to Glasto's main Pyramid Stage.

But I'd love to see Dizzee given the chance to shine at the Somerset festival.

Last year he played an incredible Saturday afternoon set to a full field.

It included a tribute to MICHAEL JACKSON, who had just died.

This year, Dizzee has become even bigger, with major shows in March at the Manchester MEN Arena and London's O2, for which he teamed up with LILY ALLEN.

Meanwhile, I have discovered exactly how Bono hurt his back. He was standing too close toTHE EDGE.

The Sun are generally on the ball regarding all things Glastonbury - but the process is off. They wouldn't "ask" Dizzee Rascal to "fill in". He's already there, on before U2's scheduled time. They'd just tell him they're bumping the program up a slot, so good luck to you. And I'd bet that in reality the Coldplay story is closer to the truth. If U2 can't do Glasto, they'll try really, really hard to get a very big replacement.

The Sun are generally on the ball regarding all things Glastonbury - but the process is off. They wouldn't "ask" Dizzee Rascal to "fill in". He's already there, on before U2's scheduled time. They'd just tell him they're bumping the program up a slot, so good luck to you. And I'd bet that in reality the Coldplay story is closer to the truth. If U2 can't do Glasto, they'll try really, really hard to get a very big replacement.

I wonder what Mick, Keith and Charlie are up to that weekend?

Getting Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman on board would actually be an even bigger coup that U2!!!

My heart literally dropped when I heard, though we kinda saw it coming. To say I'm gutted is an understatement, I literally couldn't care less who they replace them with.

It will probably lead to a shake up of the whole Friday. The Other Stage was obviously geared to tempt people away from camping out for U2. No need now. Bands like Phoenix and the Flaming Lips should/could be on the Pyramid stage.

You guys are getting.....

GORILLAZ to replace U2. Personally, I think this is a good replacement (I like GORILLAZ), and hope they make it to the U.S. to tour....

Totally bummed about drawing Gorillaz as a replacement. For me U2 were irreplaceable, but getting at least another legendary act or big rock band on board would have been compensation. What are you even supposed to do when you watch the Gorillaz? Their music just does nothing for me at all. Oh well, Flaming Lips on the other stage for me it is. :wave:

Totally bummed about drawing Gorillaz as a replacement. For me U2 were irreplaceable, but getting at least another legendary act or big rock band on board would have been compensation. What are you even supposed to do when you watch the Gorillaz? Their music just does nothing for me at all. Oh well, Flaming Lips on the other stage for me it is. :wave:

Gorillaz this time around is a full band. Mick Jones from The Clash is playing with them. I'm sure you'll get Mos Def also, etc. They seem like a fun band to have at a festival if you ask me...

They seem like a fun band to have at a festival if you ask me...

They're not headliners in my opinion, 3 real albums to draw a 2 hour set worthy of Glastonbury's 40th anniversary, and replacing a band that could have played 20+ songs that are all classics. They'll be big gaps between the songs the majority of people will actually know I just can't see it flowing like we know a U2 set can with tones and energies. Fun for a shorter set a little down the pecking order, but probably not top of the bill.

My main issue with all of this is that the Gorillaz approached Michael Eavis and not the other way around. Announcing a replacement less than a week after the surgery (and less than 2 days after the cancellation) suggests not a lot of effort was made to get a legendary act in before landing on Gorillaz. I realise its relatively short notice (though still 4 weeks to go) but I do wonder if I'd given Michael Eavis a ring before Damon Albarn did whether I'd be headlining right now? :hmm:

For me U2 were irreplaceable, but getting at least another legendary act or big rock band on board would have been compensation.

Half of the Clash is onstage with them. Bobby Womack sings on a couple songs. Also expect Mos Def, Snoop, Mark E. Smith and Shaun Ryder to guest.

I saw a good chunk of their Coachella set.

Hey everybody ... Speaking as someone who has gone through A LOT of trouble and expense, just to get tickets to the festival! ... Never mind, trip planning! (As I live in California) ...

Reading everything about Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, and even Coldplay . . .

And then finding out a day later that its the Gorillaz?? :doh:

I'm sorry, that just makes a devastating situation even MORE devastating for me. :angry:

I found this review of the Gorillaz performance at Coachella last month:

"Previous Gorillaz performances have included crazy lights and holograms so obviously expectations were high. However, the performance left the crowd confused. There were no holograms, and really, no Gorillaz— just Damon Albarn rocking with a full band complete with strings and two members of the Clash. The light show was lacking, and the bulk of the performance came in the form of music videos with the rappers playing on a large screen on center stage. The absence of crowd engagement was shocking as well. Despite the lack of rappers, shout outs and, well… Gorillaz, Albarn still played well. The crowd was reluctant to leave after a short acoustic song finished of the set, perhaps in disbelief that the supposed climactic finale was over. Then lights came on to signal to the audience that the festival was, indeed, over."

Coachella in Review | OurStage

I found this review of the Gorillaz performance at Coachella last month:

"Previous Gorillaz performances have included crazy lights and holograms so obviously expectations were high. However, the performance left the crowd confused. There were no holograms, and really, no Gorillaz— just Damon Albarn rocking with a full band complete with strings and two members of the Clash. The light show was lacking, and the bulk of the performance came in the form of music videos with the rappers playing on a large screen on center stage. The absence of crowd engagement was shocking as well. Despite the lack of rappers, shout outs and, well… Gorillaz, Albarn still played well. The crowd was reluctant to leave after a short acoustic song finished of the set, perhaps in disbelief that the supposed climactic finale was over. Then lights came on to signal to the audience that the festival was, indeed, over."

Coachella in Review | OurStage

4 special guests were not able to make the Coachella performance due to the Volcano and air travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom