July 24, 25, 27- Croke Park Discussion Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a kind of odd question but to any of those reading this thread who have been to Croke Park before, what kind of concessions (food, drink) are offered there and estimate cost of some items would be helpful, pref. in EUR....I'm trying to figure out how much money I should exchange and how much I'll use my debit or American Express cards.

Thanks!

ETA I also agree about someone just stepping up and making a decision where and when to have a gathering and just see who shows up....I'd rather trust info from someone who lives there, hoping they're not chavs giving bad advice. I do feel avoiding Temple Bar and the "tourist" area is wise. I'd step up to make the decision and set things up if I knew for sure I could be there but since I am relying on friends I'm staying with to get me around I don't feel it would be fair for me to take on the organizing responsibility. I do hope I can make it to whatever is organized wherever it is.

I was at croke park twice in 05, unfortunately i can only remember the cost of a t-shirt (25 Euro) and the programme (20 Euro).

I could gues that a pint of beer would be about 8Euro and the disgusting food would be about 8 for a stinkin burger, 4 for a bag of soggy chips (fries) and about 7 for a heartburn hotdog.

Stuff like crisps (potato chips) chocolate bars and soft drinks would be about 2-3 euro each but they take the lids off the soft drinks.

I work in a restaurant in the north which attract lots of american tourists, many of them have told me that some places dont accept American Express cards so i think using the debit card may be more useful. Another thing is the chip & pin technology is used here and employees in some stores might not be familiar with swiping and signing the receipt.

Someone said at the Barcelona shows they only excepted cash for the t-shirt and tour merchandise stands. I hope that is not the case in Dublin because I wanted to use my credit card there.

I was at croke park twice in 05, unfortunately i can only remember the cost of a t-shirt (25 Euro) and the programme (20 Euro).

I could gues that a pint of beer would be about 8Euro and the disgusting food would be about 8 for a stinkin burger, 4 for a bag of soggy chips (fries) and about 7 for a heartburn hotdog.

Stuff like crisps (potato chips) chocolate bars and soft drinks would be about 2-3 euro each but they take the lids off the soft drinks.

I work in a restaurant in the north which attract lots of american tourists, many of them have told me that some places dont accept American Express cards so i think using the debit card may be more useful. Another thing is the chip & pin technology is used here and employees in some stores might not be familiar with swiping and signing the receipt.

I hope this chip and pin technology does not pose a problem at the ATMs.

I'm going to call my credit card company tomorrow to tell them about my trip. I'll ask them about this pin number

Thank you so much! This is exactly the info I was looking for. I think I'll use my AmX card to get the equivalent of (cash) EUR I'm planning to spend at the show anyway. I won't have that much in my bank acct to accomodate using my debit card as much (bills to pay when I return :down:). It's stressful enough queing to buy merchandise at shows and all I really want is a program & 1 for a friend which I'll pay cash for. I'm sure they sell bottled water and I'll slip some sweets in my bag so that will tide me over. We'll stop and eat somewhere after the show (probably before too). That works for me.

If there's anything else I want as far as Tour memorabilia I'll get it at another show during the tour.

I did use this same American Express card when I was over on my last trip. I remember using it to pay hotel bills, at a pub and a couple shops where I purchased items as well as at the duty free shop at the airport. And I also got some cash at an Exchange kiosk at an airport using the card. I always was smart asking if AmX was accepted before buying anything (avoids any embarrassment).

Thanks again!!

Party time...

Counting the sleeps to Dublin...woo hoo...and yes, very surreal...and it's decision time on the Interference Dublin get together...

The O'Connell Bridge is a major landmark in Dublin city center, easy to find, very accessible and good public transit links...so, taking the bull by the horns, how does this sound...

Interference Croke I pre-concert party :applaud: on Thursday, July 23 at (as suggested by j123, thanks!) Messrs Maquire Pub at Burgh Quay (O'Connell Bridge)..commencing at 7:00 p.m. and ending when the lights flicker and the bartender shouts out "Have you no homes to go to!"

All those in favour say "aye" :yes:

My offer still stands to buy the table that saves me a seat
(because I'll be arriving late from O2 Leonard Cohen show) a round...and of course to buy 'lauramullen' a bday pint too!...

Croke July 24, 25, 27
Vegas Oct 23
Vancouver Oct 28

Hey LemonChick...Nice to hear from a fellow Canadian traveller :wave:...and doing multiple shows too...eh...

Hopefully we'll be able to connect and say 'hi' at the Interference get together...

€8 a pint?
in 05 it was €5 a pint.

a 60% increase over 4 years?
does croke park have its own micro-inflation?

€8 a pint?
in 05 it was €5 a pint.

It's not quite that bad. a pint will be €6. That seems to be standard at all Irish gigs this year.

Allow about a tenner for a burger, chips (fries??) and a soft drink.

Chocolate bars / crisps (chips???) about €1 - €2

Bars around Croke park (Big Tree, Quinns, McGraths etc) charge between €4 and €5 per pint. If you are drinking round Croker on the day of the concert McGraths is usually the most comfartable as they have lads on the doors making sure it doesn't get too packed. It still gets v full but not as bad as some of the others.

Counting the sleeps to Dublin...woo hoo...and yes, very surreal...and it's decision time on the Interference Dublin get together...

The O'Connell Bridge is a major landmark in Dublin city center, easy to find, very accessible and good public transit links...so, taking the bull by the horns, how does this sound...

Interference Croke I pre-concert party :applaud: on Thursday, July 23 at (as suggested by j123, thanks!) Messrs Maquire Pub at Burgh Quay (O'Connell Bridge)..commencing at 7:00 p.m. and ending when the lights flicker and the bartender shouts out "Have you no homes to go to!"

(because I'll be arriving late from O2 Leonard Cohen show) a round...and of course to buy 'lauramullen' a bday pint too!...

Croke July 24, 25, 27
Vegas Oct 23
Vancouver Oct 28

I say AYE to this and will try to make it with my friends.
(Hey! I'll also be at the Vegas show!)

€8 a pint?
in 05 it was €5 a pint.

Thanks!

It's not quite that bad. a pint will be €6. That seems to be standard at all Irish gigs this year.

Allow about a tenner for a burger, chips (fries??) and a soft drink.

Chocolate bars / crisps (chips???) about €1 - €2

Bars around Croke park (Big Tree, Quinns, McGraths etc) charge between €4 and €5 per pint. If you are drinking round Croker on the day of the concert McGraths is usually the most comfartable as they have lads on the doors making sure it doesn't get too packed. It still gets v full but not as bad as some of the others.

:up: Thanks for the info on Croke's concession food prices!

Is this the bar you're talking about?

Looks pretty good. And it's close to bus and train, so, AYE!

Guys, you should try contacting whatever bar you decide on and ask to reserve a table, or tables. They are usually pretty accommodating for groups and it means you won't need to worry about the place being too busy on the night.

Also, if you are looking for somewhere to drink on the day of the shows, it might be a good idea to go somewhere further north of Croke Park, like the Cat and Cage, or somewhere a bit further out, as most people tend to gather in the pubs between the city centre and the stadium.

If anyone is still looking for accomodation from 23rd to 28th - try the Dublin Hostel International - me and friends are booked in there and one of our party has had to drop out so if they didn't have any spare beds before, they do now! And yes - hostels aren't great (I'm sure we'd all rather be staying in the Clarence!) but its cheap and a bed for the night.

Croke July 24, 25, 27
Vegas Oct 23
Vancouver Oct 28

Aye to all the above. I want that free drink :wink:.

Croke July 24, 25, 27
Vegas Oct 23
Vancouver Oct 28

AYe of course. Mini brewery, that sounds good:drool:
Does the Guinness brewery tour with gravity bar count too?

Hi guys, I'm new around here and am from Dublin. I agree with daithidaithi, all the bars in Temple Bar are cheesy and are usually full of tourists / hen parties.

Some bars that may be of interest to you guys might be Kehoe's on South Anne St, Sinnotts on South King Street or Messrs Maguire on Burgh Quay (O'Connell Bridge). These are all within a 5 minute walk of Temple Bar but usually attract a local crowd. There are also a number of bars / clubs on Leeson St and Harcourt St (about a 10-15 minute walk from Temple Bar). The Russell Court Hotel on Harcourt St, has a few bars / clubs, as well as a large outdoor smoking area.

I wouldn't recommend visiting any of the bars around Croke Park!

Agreed on Temple Bar and the bars around Croke Park.

I don't know yet. Possibly. Bit wary of places near the quays to be honest. I work near there but wouldn't go drinking in the locale. The pubs are fine, it's the lunatics and junkies that tend to congregate around the quays that I'd be concerned about. That said, Messrs is an ok spot.

Random U2 song link reference.

Summerhill, as referenced in Walk to the Water, is just adjacent to Croke Park itself. Not a great area, to be honest. I wouldn't particularly recommend it for sightseeing. :wink:

Google it, it's built in a neighborhood. Good thing Ireland (like most of Europe) has good public transportation systems as there's not much parking available around the stadium like stadiums in the US.

I can't wait to actually be at Croke Park. I was reading about it online last night, it's over 100 years old. Lots of history in that Park. It's gone thru many renovations and hosted many a concert & sporting event.

It's not that bad, there are some areas near to it that are heavy, most are fine. On concert and match days, there is a strong police presence.

Well if I can survive going to Georgia Dome and Turner Field in some of the roughest parts of Atlanta, I think I can handle this.

how is the neighborhood compare to Lansdowne Road? I went to a football match there the last time.

Is Croke Park in a bad area?

Oh, are there dress codes for any of these pubs or clubs?

The last time I was there, I dressed up when I went to the clubs. I am not sure if that is requirement though.

Pretty much no pubs in Dublin have dress codes. Nightclubs probably do to an extent, but in these recessionary times, frankly, most of them are happy to have any custom at all. Some of the posher hotels might have dress codes for their bar/restaurant/nightclub, but even at that, it is not particularly enforced. Really, the only times I have ever seen people refused entry to a nightclub in Dublin is for being obviously drunk or underage. Passport ID is required for 18-21's, but I'm assuming most people here are over 21.

Google it, it's built in a neighborhood. Good thing Ireland (like most of Europe) has good public transportation systems as there's not much parking available around the stadium like stadiums in the US.

That's true. There is a DART station nearby, and most of the bus links terminate in O'Connell St, an easy walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom