Joshua tree set list speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But does pitch correction require singing lyrics correctly?

Bono's voice has improved leaps and bounds beginning with the Vertigo Tour, which is when I'd guess the use some level of pitch correction began.

Just compare SBS (tuned down full step and still struggling occasionally) from the ATYCLB tour to the Vertigo tour (tuned down half step and occasionally being too strong).

Frankly, I don't care.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
I'm not talking about getting words right...

If Bono was using pitch correction, you'd assume that if anything he'd use it on the big notes in EBW, especially the last ones. Sometimes he hit the big note, sometimes he took it down an octave, sometimes he tried hitting the big note and he couldn't do it and his voice cracked.

So if he was using it... why wouldn't he use it in the most obvious place to use it?

You know it's the 25th Anniversary of ZooTV. You know what would be awesome. First half, old stuff into JT. Close that with 40. Go to black. Bono over the load speaker. "Time to dream it up all again".

Opening riff of ZooStation into a ZooTV set.

Won't happen but...

Interference ... where even The Joshua Tree Tour is about 90s U2

(I do fully expect them to play songs from 90's and 00's btw.)

You know it's the 25th Anniversary of ZooTV. You know what would be awesome. First half, old stuff into JT. Close that with 40. Go to black. Bono over the load speaker. "Time to dream it up all again".

Opening riff of ZooStation into a ZooTV set.

Won't happen but...

i actually do expect them to play either The Fly or Zoo Station as the first post-Joshua Tree song... with a i/e style intermission/video thingy in between.

i actually do expect them to play either The Fly or Zoo Station as the first post-Joshua Tree song... with a i/e style intermission/video thingy in between.

The JT/RH to AB/Zooropa/POP transition of U2 is the main reason why I consider them to be the greatest (or one of the greatest) rock bands in history. I would love to see that transition live.

The Fly could happen.
I expect that we will get staple U2 setlist fare as they are already playing side B of Joshua Tree.
So Even Better Than The Real Thing would perhaps be an even more likely candidate.
Or One, depending on what they are going for.

To me it would be bizarre to have any notion of "chopping down the Joshua Tree" as part of the concert. I would like to think it's an occasion to celebrate the album not to (again) tell the story of U2's transformation from 80s to 90s.
You never know with this band though.

My conservative predictions:

Act 1: String of 8-12 hits to warm up the crowd. Think of a setlist similar to Dreamforce or iHeartRadio

Act 2: Joshua Tree

Encore: Similar encore to the European i+e leg, close with 40.

I'd like to think we'll get SOE songs, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I also don't expect deep cuts outside of The Joshua Tree. We're already going to get revivals of songs that haven't been played in 30 years and the debut of 30 year-old song, so I'm not complaining.

The Fly could happen.
I expect that we will get staple U2 setlist fare as they are already playing side B of Joshua Tree.
So Even Better Than The Real Thing would perhaps be an even more likely candidate.
Or One, depending on what they are going for.

To me it would be bizarre to have any notion of "chopping down the Joshua Tree" as part of the concert. I would like to think it's an occasion to celebrate the album not to (again) tell the story of U2's transformation from 80s to 90s.
You never know with this band though.
I thought of Real Thing but it played a big part on the last two tours, so I think they'll drop it for this go around.

I initially was going to say that there would be no chopping of the Joshua Tree...

But I definitely think they could nod to it:

Set A: Pre-JT
Set B: JT
Encore
1. Zoo Station
2. Beautiful Day
3. Vertigo
4. One

Although now that I write it out, there's no way they'd do 7-8 songs of pre-JT material to open the show.

In fact, calling it now: Please into Streets

Last edited:
1."Unknown Caller"
2."Running to Stand Still"
3."Into the Heart"
4."Mercy"
5."Neon Lights"
6."The Ground Beneath Her Feet"
7."A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel"
8."Out of Control"
9."I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
10."Crumbs from Your Table"
11."October"
12."Twilight"
13."Acrobat"
14."Please"
15."One"
16."Breathe"
17."Scarlet"
18."White as Snow"
19."Heartland"

20."Fortunate Son"
21."Tomorrow"
22."Indian Summer Sky"

23."Shadows and Tall Trees"
24."Stories for Boys"
25."Every Breaking Wave"

Keep reminding them! Some Discotheque would be nice.

I simply cannot see them starting with the full Joshua Tree, it will be in the middle of the summer, which means it won't be dark yet and opening with Streets in full daylight (or at least a bit light) will be a big waste. It will probably be the 2nd part of the show.

Last edited:
I have this unrealistic fantasy that they'll play all of JT, then after a break play Pop in its entirety. It'all be miraculous if we get a single song from Pop, though. :sad:

1."Unknown Caller"
2."Running to Stand Still"
3."Into the Heart"
4."Mercy"
5."Neon Lights"
6."The Ground Beneath Her Feet"
7."A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel"
8."Out of Control"
9."I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
10."Crumbs from Your Table"
11."October"
12."Twilight"
13."Acrobat"
14."Please"
15."One"
16."Breathe"
17."Scarlet"
18."White as Snow"
19."Heartland"

20."Fortunate Son"
21."Tomorrow"
22."Indian Summer Sky"

23."Shadows and Tall Trees"
24."Stories for Boys"
25."Every Breaking Wave"

Give me the same drug you re doing.... :lol:

Keep reminding them! Some Discotheque would be nice.

I simply cannot see them starting with the full Joshua Tree, it will be in the middle of the summer, which means it won't be dark yet and opening with Streets in full daylight (or at least a bit light) will be a big waste. It will probably be the 2nd part of the show.

They'll play Streets twice. ?

I could see them changing the setlists between the US and Europe... Didn't they do that on Vertigo to make sure City of Blinding Lights started when it was dark out?

The latest sunset they'll have in the US will be 8:21 in Cleveland. Certainly doable to open with Streets and have the red screens, if that's what they wanted to do.

Europe with sunsets close to 9:30 would present an issue anyway you slice it up with the screens

There really shouldn't be anything past Rattle & Hum. With that in mind:

1. Luminous Times
2. Red Hill Mining Town
3. Trip Through Your Wires
4. Pride
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
6. Spanish Eyes
7. Walk to The Water
8. In God's Country
9. Sweetest Thing
10. Heartland
11. One Tree Hill
12. Exit
13. Bullet The Blue Sky
14. Running To Stand Still
15. Where The Streets Have No Name
16. I Will Follow

17. Bad
18. Sunday Bloody Sunday
19. With or Without You
20. Mothers of the Disappeared

21. New Years Day
22. "40"

Set One:
1. Desire
2. Vertigo
3. I Will Follow
4. The Miracle
5. Every Breaking Wave (solo piano)
6. Even Better Than the Real Thing
7. Mysterious Ways
8. Sunday Bloody Sunday
9. All I Want Is You
10. Pride

Set Two:
11. Where the Streets Have No Name
12. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
13. With Or Without You
14. Bullet the Blue Sky
15. Running to Stand Still
16. Red Hill Mining Town
17. In God's Country
18. One Tree Hill
19. Exit

Encore:
21. One
22. Beautiful Day
23. Bad
24. 40

I really don't expect the set to deviate too much from what it's been in recent times. That stretch from Red Hill to Mothers will more than fill their quota of rarities.

This is defo how id go

1 desire
2 i will follow
3 gloria
4 new years day
5 sunday bloody sunday
6 angle of harlem
7 pride
8 bad

9 streets have no name
10 still havent found
11 with or without you
12 bullet the blue sky
13 running to stand still
14 red hill mining town
15 in gods country
16 trip through your wire
17 one tree hill
18 exit
19 mothers of the disappeared

20 the fly
21 even better then the real thing
22 mysterious ways
23 one

Alright, I'm doing this forreal (with some wish making):

1. I Will Follow
2. Vertigo
3. Iris
4. Even Better Than the Real Thing
5. Stay
6. Until the End of the World
7. Mysterious Ways
8. Sunday Bloody Sunday
9. Pride
10. Bad

(to let it go! And so to fade away-ay-ay! to let it go! And so to fade away-ay-ayyyyy)
(chiming guitars)

13. With Or Without You
14. Bullet the Blue Sky
16. Red Hill Mining Town
17. In God's Country
18. One Tree Hill
19. Exit

Encore:
21. Zoo Station
22. Beautiful Day
23. One
24. 40

Last edited:
Set Two:
13. With Or Without You
14. Bullet the Blue Sky
16. Red Hill Mining Town
17. In God's Country
18. One Tree Hill
19. Exit

13. With Or Without You
14. Bullet the Blue Sky
16. Red Hill Mining Town
17. In God's Country
18. One Tree Hill
19. Exit

You both must really dislike Trip.

(And rightly so.)

As if everyone here doesn't know the JT track listing in order. No need to type it out in full every time..

What was the "final" (cause, we know how that can go lol) word on the JT track ordering? From front to back? I've been out of the media loop for a sec..

You mean how they'll play it for the shows?

At the moment I think the only things stated definitively are a). all eleven songs will be played and b). Streets will not open the shows. Although Edge and Adam both indicated that they expect to play the album in sequence, those statements lacked the same definitive character.

Of course, if you're going to bill a tour like this you better fucking do the entire album in order - either front to back or back to front.

Hmm..I really like that back to front idea, considering there's almost zero chance of them opening with a JT song. Interesting.

Yeah, it would build really well.

One of the more effective full-album shows I've seen was Television a few years ago. It was a festival slot so they only had time to do Marquee Moon, no other songs. They shuffled the order, however, so that the title track came last.

For the Television fans, this is what they played: Television Concert Setlist at ATP Release The Bats 2013 on October 26, 2013 | setlist.fm

Back
Top Bottom