John Sampson :appreciate:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kafrun

Blue Crack Addict
Babydoll and I started talking about doing this back in Hawaii. Several people have suggested it since, so it was only a matter of time before it was going to happen :sexywink:

We must pay tribute to the wonderful John Sampson(Big John Raptor to the Bonosapian Research Institute :wink: ) He is the man who protects our beloved Bono and still manages to take the time to look out for fans :love: He could be on a I-work-for-important-people, cocky, get-out-of-my-face power trip, but he's not. I'd heard the stories before, but my own up close experiences with John solidified my appreciation for the man :cute: There was the moment where he smiled warmly and shook the hand of the guy who was freaking out because he'd just been onstage for Wild Horses. There was also the moment where he was quite obviously busy and took the time to have a conversation with us at the hotel and apologize for Bono not having time to stop and chat the night before. He even took a bit of time to tell us about Bono's crazy schedule, about his own job, how much he loves it and his boss, and a little about his own life back in Detroit. There was even a personal moment for me when he seemed to remember me(I'd gone to the washroom at the time, but Babydoll told me) "The tiny one, she's been to a lot of shows, right?" :reject: So kind and soft-spoken. A true gentleman with as much class as the men he works for :heart: Did I mention we love John? :giggle:

Please post your pics and stories(if you have them) about Mr. Sampson!

:appreciate:

78114654_f8597f0600.jpg

bg3.jpg

320593789ukkhPY_fs.jpg

Hi Kaf:wave: Yes, John is a very nice man. When I approched him he said " May I help you. I said " I would just like to say hi to Bono". He said "Sure, but he is in a meeting now, I will let him know after they are done." He looked me in the eyes and was very sweet.:yes: :up:

John is amazing :up: If it wasn't for him, I would never have gotten my "redo" pic with Bono! He brought him right over to me, what a great guy :cool:

Great idea! I was afraid to mention it for fear of retaliation.

John is awEsome!!!
While in the city for the book signing, he made sure that Sara (aka Circa1992) and a lovely girl we met Paige got to speak with Bono and get there pictures taken. He also did not forget about me...when I said please John I've waited over 20 years for this!
He led Bono to us and didn't even hurry him along.

John was also nice enough to take my pictures, not just one but two!!! The next time I would love to get a picture with John, maybe Bono could take it. :giggle:

bigjohn.jpg

He really is a nice guy. I still recall the convo I had with him.

Btw, JCoster, thanks a ton for your card! I got in the mail today :D

^ Your very welcome!

When the young ladies and myself were chatting, John was saying that he used to be the cute one and had a bunch of hair, but after 19 years of chasing Bono and his escapades he now looks like he does today! It was very funny.

He also said what a great guy Bono is to work for.

I appreciate him taking my daughter onstage in Hawaii and then giving her the setlist & guitar pick from the show :love:

He trully IS a great guy. My friends and I have seen him and spoken to him few times while the guys were spending time in toronto last year. He always allowed fans to approach Bono and talk to him.....

John is BRILLIANT! The first night when we were outside the Hyatt with our friend Gerry, we saw him go by, and me and Mum were too nervous to say hi :reject: but John recognised Gerry so we ended up chatting to him and he just seems like a genuinely nice guy! Then a few days later when we ended up meeting the band, when he came out, he smiled and recognised us. He's so cool, especially since he COULD be way above everyone if he chose to be, but he's just a friendly, down to earth guy. Big :up: to him!!

KIF_1022.jpg

Woo!

Here's a couple I have of when I met Bono in Copenhagen last year!

Hotel4Bonob.jpg

Bono_hotel_1.jpg

John came out about half an hour before Bono and eyed up the crowd, I remember looking directly at him and smiling all very calm and casual like but I the same time realising "OMG that's Bono's body guard! :eek: OMG Bono must in the hotel!! :eek: OMG and he must coming out soon coz John checking out the seen OMG; OMG, OMG!!!" :eek:

:wink:

He's one snazzy dresser too. :cool:

My friend and I were going to goof on Bono when we met him in NYC last year and just totally act like we were only there to see John and get all starry-eyed for him and everything. But Bono has too much power over us - we weren't able to do it! I think it would have been funny though. Maybe next time.

Portland
of50332443.jpg

NYC
3489558497Ffp453Dot3E23253D43A33D62.jpg

3489558497Ffp643Dot3E23253D43A33D62.jpg

He really does seem to enjoy his job! :love:

What an awesome 'real' guy!! :bow: Yep, he so easily could have an uptight attitude and put himself on a pedastal, but no, he is real, he connects, and he does his job well.
KIF_1197.jpg

KIF_1164.jpg

KIF_1105.jpg

KIF_1034.jpg

KIF_1023.jpg

bonosloveslave said:
I had no idea he was a MI guy - I've got a conversation starter for next tour! Wonder if he is an MSU alumni (like me :hyper: ) or just a fan :hmm:

I didn't know either until Bono said so. I think he also said Gerry Melle (sp?) is from Michigan.

LemonGrrrrrl I like your idea :lol:

Here are some pics I have of Bono with John, not sure who took them, but those hoodies sure are confusing sometimes :giggle:

Bonohowtoputonyourhoodie2.jpg

Bonohowtoputonyourhoodie3.jpg

Bonohowtoputonyourhoodie4.jpg

Aw, here we are perfectly shown how NOT to put on a hoodie shirt. Typical Bono!
And does John wear a ONE bracelet? How cool.

Lemon Grrrrrl said:
I wonder when the man finds the time to work out, seeing as Bono reportedly only sleeps for 3 hours at a time. :hmm:
When we talked to John he said that Bono had only had an hour of sleep the night before :crazy:

Back
Top Bottom