Is Thom Yorke (Radiohead) a better singer than Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
I am no Radiohead expert but I have become very interested in their music and have listened intently to their albums and respect and enjoy much of their work. It has struck me that Yorke is a fantastic vocalist possibly better than Bono. Yorke has an amazing falsetto and a better vabratto than Bono, he also has an interesting tone and can hold notes far longer than Bono. However Bono probaly has more power in his voice and also posses beautiful tone. I know Bono delivers live especily on the last tour. I have never seen Radiohed live so I cant say how Yorke sounds live. It makes me feel wrong to even think that Yorke may be as good or better than Bono because I am a huge U2 and Bono fan. What do u guys think.

Thom Yorke's best attribute is his falsetto. I love it. Of course, back in the days of zooropa when Bono could pull off an amazing falsetto, I loved that even more. Bono's voice is a lot stronger, and I love it more because he's incredibly passionate. Still, I enjoy Yorke's vocals as well.

I'm a huge Radiohead fan, the only album I found to be dissapointing was amnesiac. They're an incredibly innovative band, and amazing live.

But there is no way in hell he's a better singer. Yorke has a good falsetto, yet his tone can be annoying at times. His vabratto isn't anything to write home about not bad, just nothing amazing and there's no way he can hold notes far longer than Bono, not sure what you've been listening to.

But on top of that, neither are perfect singers live, but Yorke lacks a lot of control, he's often off key and can't hold notes much. The only "big band" singers that are worse live are Billy Corgan and Anthony Kiedes.

what kind of an answer did you expect by posing this question in this forum?

ha.

at the moment, really there's no question that thom's a better singer. bono has a hard time singing these days, and that's not a knock on him, it's just the way it is.

if you look back to the 80's and early 90's, before bono's voice began to fail, then i'd say it's a real toss-up and a matter of opinion as to who's voice you personally like better. they have different styles, so the comparison really isn't that fair in the first place.

but i don't think there's any question that thom's voice is better these days. not as many cigarettes, i suppose.

Zoomerang96 said:

at the moment, really there's no question that thom's a better singer. bono has a hard time singing these days, and that's not a knock on him, it's just the way it is.

:eyebrow: Maybe if we were comparing Bends or OK Computer era Thom Yorke to Popmart Sarajevo Bono, you might have something there.

But give me a break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8M-Moo4imQ

They are like apples and oranges.

I love both singers so very much. I like how Bono's voice has gone through stages over the years. Thom's hasnt changed too much since the band began though I am sure its stronger now.

I love the way Thom uses his voice as an instrument, a very beautiful instrument. I love it in Knives Out when he goes: "look into myeyyyyeeessss".

So yes, chalk and cheese. Apples and oranges.

I guess its all a matter of preference!

Zoomerang96 said:

if you look back to the 80's and early 90's, before bono's voice began to fail, then i'd say it's a real toss-up and a matter of opinion as to who's voice you personally like better. they have different styles, so the comparison really isn't that fair in the first place.

but i don't think there's any question that thom's voice is better these days. not as many cigarettes, i suppose.

Is this another one of your joke posts?:huh:

No Way, Bono's much better singer!

Thom Yorke is more or less like Chris Martin, they use similar vocal techniques. The difference between them is that Martin has got a very limited vocal range (the reason he reccurs too many times to falsetto and why his voice trembles in higher notes) and Yorke has got a bigger one.

However, Bono tops these two.
Bono has got an operatic and echoing voice that only few of the new-generation singers can (that's sad, unfortunately). Plus, Bono can hold notes for a bit longer than Yorke.

Yorke has got a good falsetto, but Martin uses his one better.
Bono has got a weak falsetto nowadays, but in the past (between 1988-1997) was great, it was more joyful and it had more life, it was more "greasy".

I have already listened to some Radiohead bootlegs and Yorke has already sang out of key a few times (not sure why).

yes, it must be a joke that when asked in a thread who's voice is better, i selected subject a as opposed to subject b.

that's really hard to believe isn't it? wow.

LemonMelon said:

:eyebrow: Maybe if we were comparing Bends or OK Computer era Thom Yorke to Popmart Sarajevo Bono, you might have something there.

But give me a break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8M-Moo4imQ

so thom's not singing angelically on idioteque, what exactly are you trying to say? that's the bloody nature of the song... and it's pretty much how it's always sung. not a good example, at all really.

Zoomerang96 said:
yes, it must be a joke that when asked in a thread who's voice is better, i selected subject a as opposed to subject b.

that's really hard to believe isn't it? wow.

Believe me the where has nothing to do with it, I would say the same thing on greenplastic as well.

Technically speaking there's just no comparison, and Bono's voice at moments of this past tour were stronger than anything in the 90's.

Any vocal coach would disagree with you.

Zoomerang96 said:

so thom's not singing angelically on idioteque, what exactly are you trying to say? that's the bloody nature of the song... and it's pretty much how it's always sung. not a good example, at all really.

:up:

he has never sang this song properly

he is too busy dancing most of the time :drool:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Believe me the where has nothing to do with it, I would say the same thing on greenplastic as well.

Technically speaking there's just no comparison, and Bono's voice at moments of this past tour were stronger than anything in the 90's.

Any vocal coach would disagree with you.

oh, you got me then.

the bit about the vocal coaches clinches it.

they'd ALL disagree with me? for the first time in recent recollection at least, there appears to be 100% unanimity amongst a collection of professionals on a matter of personal opinion.

even if i'm shell-shocked by the enormity of this... this unprecedented strength of a collective opinion, i'm gonna have to go ahead and STILL disagree with you and all the earth's vocal coaches anyway.

call me a visionary... or perhaps a rebel.

but i'm actually stick my neck out and say that thom's voice actually is better than bono's these days.

apparently, according to you and voice coaches the world over, the world has never heard such ridiculousness nor recklessness in opinion.

i must be a mad man to counter with conviction and a opinion of personal preference!

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:

wait...

you're using this to tell us that thom's NOT a great singer from these clips?

...really?

or are you... you know... using these clips to show that he's in fact, quite stellar?

fake plastic trees in particular... tremendous.

has bono sounded anything near this within the last 10 years?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViWQW-6a4dc

There are certain things about a singing voice that are subjective and others that are objective.

And my whole point about the vocal coaches was they would all agree on the objective aspects of the singing voice...just wanted to clarify.

xaviMF22 said:

although nowadays Thom is sounding better than Bono :whistle:

that's all i've been trying to say all along.

bono for nearly 2 decades was every bit as good as thom, if not better.

Back
Top Bottom