Is it unfair to expect another truly great U2 album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac Phisto

The Fly
Four men staring down the barrel of 50, with wives, children, business and charity ventures. The lead singer is a respected humanitarian and politician. Thirty-one years into a brilliant career, is it time to expect less of your favorite band?

Bono is doing is usual pre-album chatter about new sounds and influences ("molten metal," Moroccan influences etc.), but should this band be asked to create another masterpiece? And if they don't, should they be faulted for it?

As a longtime fan, I can honestly tell you that I don't hold them to that standard anymore. I did for ATYCLB, and I did for HTDAAB. But things have changed for me. I don't know why. I don't love the band any less. I've just tempered my expectations.

Give me a fun guitar-based single or two. Make the rest of the album passable. Come through my city twice on tour. That's all I need.

In short, I've reached the point where they've given me enough as a contemporary rock force. I'm now willing to embrace them for as much what they were as for what they are.

Last edited:
I don't think it's unfair. I do think it's unrealistic. IMO it's a rare thing for a band to produce more than one truly "great" album; I think you can make a case for U2 giving us 2, which is pretty impressive.

It's all gravy from here on out. They've given us tons of great music and fan experiences over the years. I'm very satisfied.

I do expect some more great things from them, but it's not like there's any shortage of great music from other artists to immerse ourselves in.

Interesting idea brought to the table, I must say:

I'm very...erm...whats the word...

"indifferent"

:eyebrow:

regarding the outcome of this particular album, I mean, we have 3 possible outcomes am I right? Its either gunna be:

1. Great
2. Good
3. Krap

Hopefully it will be 1 or 2...if its 3 then, well, I'll deal with it :) THEY HAVE BEEN US MORE THAN WE COULD EVER ASK FOR!!!!! REALLY THEY HAVE!!!!!

I mean, I'll just have to listen to A.B, Boy, J.T, War to pass the time and wait for them to show up at MSG like I always do...

Maybe, just maybe, this will be a soild album...but I may be optimistic...

Sorry Bono, but...God how do I put this?
:sad:

His voice...isn't what it used to be (DON'T HATE ON ME, I'm practically stating the obvilous)...and he's got alot on his plate...

Edge, Adam and Larry will always rock...not that Bono can't, because...he is, after all one of the greatest rockstars!

Know what I mean? I am IN NO WAY criticizing Bono but...ergh...after listening to some of his latest performances

I used to think he had a wonderful voice, I MEAN IT COULD BLOW YOU AWAY now its...well its just fine

I maybe proven wrong though...hopefully I will

Last edited:
It was unreasonable to expect a great yet utterly new-sounding album after JT, but they made one. It was unreasonable to expect that the return of the "classic" U2 sound on ATYCLB and Bomb would be wildly popular, but it was.
The band would never want us to expect anything but a great album. If we start pandering to them by accepting less, we encourage them to do less.

Depends on what you consider great.

They could (a) create an album that lands somewhere between ATYCLB & HTDAAB. Get the organic and free feel of ATYCLB and push it through another album like HTDAAB where every track is trying to be a single and they could have a mammoth seller on their hands. If you want to do great pop, timeless pop, you need that easy feel ATYCLB has, not the forced feel HTDAAB has. If they had done HTDAAB better, it would have been a lot bigger. Not necessarily better, but certainly bigger. They could still do that. Those beach clips sound like another MOR pop record to me. This, I think, has short term gain for them, but is long term trouble.

- OR -

(b) They manage to pull off something brilliant, creative and original musically that just demands attention. This is what they haven't done since Achtung. There's no reason why, staring down 50 blah blah they can't do it again. The original post here talks about them almost being free of the pressure now, so they just release dud albums with a couple of snappy singles and go off to tour. I think the reverse could/should happen. If the pressure is gone, or once the pressure is gone, I think that is specifically when they'll produce a 3rd truly great album. Not a moment before.

Personally, I can't wait for the day they do not need a Vertigo, but I don't think we're there just yet and you will not get another truly great U2 album while they are in that mindset. The ATYCLB/HTDAAB mindset won't do it, unless you purely judge 'great' in terms of size/sales.

Earnie Shavers said:
There's no reason why, staring down 50 blah blah they can't do it again.

Personally, I can't wait for the day they do not need a Vertigo...

The ATYCLB/HTDAAB mindset won't do it, unless you purely judge 'great' in terms of size/sales.

:applaud:

A lot of their work this decade that I find most interesting has been the side-projects and collaborations, partly because collaboration takes them in new directions and partly because these don't tend to get marketed as aggressively.

I understand the need for some publicity, but I agree when they constantly feel as if they have to be biggest and best there is an inescapable bloated quality to it that means it has to be about more than the music. There was never this issue when they were younger and more like underdogs- they've worn the title of 'biggest band in the world' relatively gracefully, but after awhile you also wish Bono didn't feel the need to parade that phrase out so often... or even better, that it could somehow be made irrelevant.

Earnie Shavers said:
Depends on what you consider great.

They could (a) create an album that lands somewhere between ATYCLB & HTDAAB. Get the organic and free feel of ATYCLB and push it through another album like HTDAAB where every track is trying to be a single and they could have a mammoth seller on their hands. If you want to do great pop, timeless pop, you need that easy feel ATYCLB has, not the forced feel HTDAAB has. If they had done HTDAAB better, it would have been a lot bigger. Not necessarily better, but certainly bigger. They could still do that. Those beach clips sound like another MOR pop record to me. This, I think, has short term gain for them, but is long term trouble.

- OR -

(b) They manage to pull off something brilliant, creative and original musically that just demands attention. This is what they haven't done since Achtung. There's no reason why, staring down 50 blah blah they can't do it again. The original post here talks about them almost being free of the pressure now, so they just release dud albums with a couple of snappy singles and go off to tour. I think the reverse could/should happen. If the pressure is gone, or once the pressure is gone, I think that is specifically when they'll produce a 3rd truly great album. Not a moment before.

Personally, I can't wait for the day they do not need a Vertigo, but I don't think we're there just yet and you will not get another truly great U2 album while they are in that mindset. The ATYCLB/HTDAAB mindset won't do it, unless you purely judge 'great' in terms of size/sales.

QFT, and I'm a big ATYCLB fan. I think it's in them, and the way Eno and Lanois are talking about the Morocco work, it could be in the works. It sounds as if they may very well be working on something "brilliant, creative and original musically that just demands attention." A big factor is going to be whether or not they make the realization that being "relevant" or the "biggest band in the world" doesn't have to mean MTV-friendly/teeny-bopperish songs like Elevation. Look at Arcade Fire---Neon Bible was pretty huge, and it got virtually no radioplay. An album can be massive without targeting 12-year-olds----and yet, it'll still strike the 12-year-olds all the same.........hell, I was 11 when Achtung came out and it shook me to the core.

Last edited:
Yeah there is absolutely no reason the quality should suffer just because they're pushing 50. Age has nothing to do with it. Attitude has everything to do with it.

Just as an example, David Gilmour is still producing beautiful music and he is older than anyone in U2.

OrARoundabout said:

His voice...isn't what it used to be (DON'T HATE ON ME, I'm practically stating the obvilous)...and he's got alot on his plate...

Waits for Peterrr

:corn:

OrARoundabout said:

I maybe proven wrong though...hopefully I will

your wish has come true my friend!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KLHeCeQ9CEs&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8MbrbIUkDSQ&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oo-w7B4tNB4

this is simple: clearly, U2 still has an incredible passion for their music...as long as this passion exists, they can make "a truly great album" because they are U2...because they've done so much already, it will get increasingly difficult to discover a JT/AB brilliance (this has been proven quite clearly when you realize the similarities in sound and direction between ATYCLB and Bomb) but as Bono once said, the songs exist, they just need to be discovered :yes:

I just want more music by them. It doesn't have to be singles. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece.

the tourist said:
I just want more music by them. It doesn't have to be singles. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece.

yes.

i just want to know where the journey is going to go.

it is a journey. a BonoQuest. and i want to know how it's all going to end.

Well even when U2 aren't pushing musical boundries (HTDAAB), they still sound fucking amazing. They are quite simply the best at what they do on the planet.

The new album will be a joy to listen to.....

intedomine said:
Well even when U2 aren't pushing musical boundries (HTDAAB), they still sound fucking amazing. They are quite simply the best at what they do on the planet.

There we can both agree on something. :up:

The Eno/Lanois news has me very excited. They produce their best work with the two of those guys backing them up, every piece coming together sounds exciting.

I'm psyching myself up for this.

Anyway, one thing is for sure: No one will be satisfied. And after three years, everyone in here will hate it.... for awhile. And then it will grow on them again when it gets to be about 6 or 7 years old.

intedomine said:

yes! :up:

excellent way of putting it!!

IMO, when U2 push themselves to evolve (i.e. AB), i think the quality of the music reflects this effort, and is that much better...so as long as they try to evolve i think there's a good chance this album will be very special...

on a side note: i can't even imagine how bono's voice is going to sound in studio after listening to union chapel again...omg... :drool:

I think this album will define them as either U2 the band who experimented or U2 the pop band. One more pop album and their 90's image is going to be forgoten

u guys are too easy on them. Yes they are a great band, yes they have a great back catelog, but they do owe us somthing if they want to keep fans they need to give us a reason to stay around. I dont love them for them, edges hat bono's glasses or whatever I love their music and the minute I dont I am out. As for the new album its their fault I have such huge expectations for it because they are building it up and if i am let down by it I am going to be let down u know. (just so u guys know I do like HTDAAB and ATYCLB and they are an important part of thier catelog but are they an AB no and even though they are good 4 star albums I dont want them to be remebered as a 45 year old pop band or a greatest hits band like the stones or the who. U2 throughout their career have fought that image and I dont think they should give up now if they are truely to be know as the greatest band in the world)

Also I realy think they have got somthing up their sleve look at the late 80's they were at the height of their fame so they reinvented themselves. 2007 they are at the height of their fame so we will see if history repeats themselves.

Jdelbove said:
I think this album will define them as either U2 the band who experimented or U2 the pop band. One more pop album and their 90's image is going to be forgoten

I don't think one album will define them--especially this late in their career.

Jdelbove said:

I love their music and the minute I dont I am out.

damn! talk about loyalty, or the lack of it, holy crap :ohmy:

thats a lame attitude if you ask me :rolleyes:

also...that is completely foolish on your part to suggest that the 90's U2 will be "forgotten"....know this, when it's all said and done...not one era will be forgotten, they will all be remembered and cherished...

however I think your idea about the late 80's reinvention is right on...and I expect that trend to continue here...

Rob33 said:

also...that is completely foolish on your part to suggest that the 90's U2 will be "forgotten"....know this, when it's all said and done...not one era will be forgotten, they will all be remembered and cherished...

Exactly. When the 90s era came about, was the 80s era forgotten?

"I love their music and the minute I dont I am out" - that line explains a lot here.

Do they have another JT or AB in them ? I doubt it (though I'd happily be proven wrong), although I think we will see U2 4.0 shortly.
Can they do better than their post AB output ? Yes. I think the "singles" approach will fade quickly (especially once the third flop album comes). The big 5-0 will be a big test for them (one they haven't had since AB).

yes i would like another u2 "masterpiece". realistically? i would take a "sorry" u2 album over the majority of .................................what's the word i'm looking for?...........................yeah here it is....................CRAP, that's out there. in the last 7 years the only english albums i've bought are from u2, the cure and NIN. everything else has either been indian or japanese. the english music "scene" has become bland to me.
i said to me. ok? not it is bland. just "TO ME".:madspit:

I definitely think they could create another masterpiece

and I detest the talk about "pushing boundaries", "creating something completely new" and blah blah blah

if that was the thing about music we'd all be posting on the Frank Zappa forum instead
now Zappa was able to pull that of, U2 is able to do something other than that

and though I don't know exactly what it is that U2 has, I do know no one but them have it

OrARoundabout said:

Edge, Adam and Larry will always rock...not that Bono can't, because...he is, after all one of the greatest rockstars!

Know what I mean? I am IN NO WAY criticizing Bono but...ergh...after listening to some of his latest performances

I used to think he had a wonderful voice, I MEAN IT COULD BLOW YOU AWAY now its...well its just fine

From all possible arguments against a new good/great U2 album, this is the one I refuse to accept, because if something has definitly improved in recent years, it's Bono's voice. His latest performances are what really gets me excited about the new songs. If nothing dramatic happens (and I hope it doesn't), his voice should be a real strength on the new album.

last unicorn said:

From all possible arguments against a new good/great U2 album, this is the one I refuse to accept, because if something has definitly improved in recent years, it's Bono's voice. His latest performances are what really gets me excited about the new songs. If nothing dramatic happens (and I hope it doesn't), his voice should be a real strength on the new album.

Hopefully he won't wear it out in the recording process....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom