Irish Independent NLOTH track by track preview / All Other Reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, these reviewsvleave me somewhat confused. Some descriptions sound great butvthen the every generationbhas a chance line sounds like the earnest Bono from HTDAAB. I want the ironic prankster Bono. Oh well, I'd rather havevlow expectations than dangerously high expectations.

So, who likes Boots still? Anyone?

I do, a lot. And so do others. No matter how much some people here are trying to manipulate our opinion and convince us how crap the song is.

mm Here's a thought: I don't remember which review was, but it said Moment of Surrender had a "oh OH oh OH" type of chorus. Has anyone heard beach clip 5??

Björn said BC 5 isn't on the album, I read it this morning on the German forum.

At that point, I would only go by what u2tour.de has said, they are certainly the most reliable source and know most about U2, while most journalists only like 80s U2 and don't like any new sounds coming from the band, or have a dislike for U2 in general and cannot be bothered to write anything positive about the album. The lady from STERN (Björn says he was sitting next to her at the preview session) dislikes U2 so much, her whole article is a struggle, she tries to NOT like the new album and still ends up not finding it too bad.

Everyone saying that there is "nothing new" on the new U2 album must go and clean their ears. If u2tour.de gives the review it has just given, the album must have something new and exciting, because they are normally very critical.

No Line On The Horizon
The first song already a clear statement – this album is different. Crashing guitar riffs come flying your way, the bass vibrating, Bono’s voice screaming, scratching, only slowly turning towards a melody. The memorably chorus comes as a suprise, and is carried by The Edge’s voice. More slowly in the middle bridge, with classic U2 song structures, the song picks up again. Then, towards the end, guitar parts reminiscent of Lady With The Spinning Head. An atmospheric, dense song that shifts U2’s music towards a different sound and determines the album’s theme – more rock, a denser atmosphere, more variety in Bono’s voice.

ohhh mama. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

^ Yes, but beach clip 1 is Unknown Caller. That's why the review says it's "more than one oh oh oh chorus".

Björn says bc 5 isn't on the album.

Judging by the new "Crazy Tonight" lyrics, it reaffirms by belief that GOYB is about the apathy of younger generations. Bono "wanting to riot" and stating that "every generation has a chance to change the world (which is a line I find kind of hokey, but I'll take it)" seems to suggest frustration with a younger generation.

By the way, I take all reviews with a pound of salt.

A lot of reviewers have no clue what they're talking about and are often not even big fans of the band.

Every time a reviewer compares something to Achtung Baby, I cringe, because I feel like the review knows what the reader wants to hear, and is giving it to them. "Different" does not mean "Achtung Baby", but since the writer has nothing else to compare it to, they compare it to Achtung and then, on release day, this forum is flooded with millions of posts saying "WTF?1?1 I THGOUHT THIS WS GOING TO BE LIKE AB!!WTFWTF".

See: Media Hype for Metallica's "St. Anger"

as compared to: Media Hype for Metallica's "Death Magnetic".

----------------------------------------------

U2TOUR.DE - U2 News, Berichte, Photos, U2 Forum, Setlists, U2 Kalender

Björn had the opportunity under a Prelistening session for the first time the new U2 album 'No Line On The Horizon' to hear. The whole took place - as it belongs - in the legendary Hansa studios in Berlin. His first impressions are here to read - lots of fun!

To put it quite clearly anticipated to take: I have the songs of the new record belongs exactly two times, that's too little to a review of "New Line On The Horizon" to write, which of these highly complex plate only rudimentary needs. Hence sketch the following lines just my first impressions: it is explicitly not a definitive review and therefore neither the individual nor the whole song a rating plate.

I have the CD as part of an organized Universal Music Pre-listening to the legendary Hansa studios belongs. That alone is a clear statement. Finally, the Hansa studios the place where baby was respect. But - that I venture even after listening twice to say - this panel will meet this demand. This album is different, this record is a brave one - and this record is definitely The Edge "on fire".

The overview of the individual songs:

- NLOTH

is a clear statement for the new direction, heavy guitars, a slow sectionin the middle, atmospheric and dense, a lot of different vocal parts

- Magnificient

Beach Clip 4, loud drumms, loops and riffs in the beginning, you can hear Bono singing "Magnificent" first (yes! it's also in bc4), very melodic, one of the best songs on the album, but also very close to "classic" U2. Many layers, very strong ending.

- Moment of Surrender

One of the slowest songs on the album, very strongly influenced by the Fez-sessions, strings, keyboards, sounds a little like Passengers, Bono sings with a scratchy voice first, than very melodic, many sound layers, Edge has an expressive, but slow guitar solo, the song has an oh oh oh chorus.

- Unknown Caller

Known as Beach Clip 1: Birds chirping, electronic noises, keyboards in the beginning, a mixture of classic and more "broken" sounds, sung with two voices (don't know if it means only Bono or Bono and Edge). Chorus: "Restart and reboot yourself" and: "I was lost between the midnight and the dawning". Edge has a very strong guitar solo, Bono singing over calm keyboard sounds. Lyrics: "Escape yourself and gravity"

-I'll go crazy if I don`t go crazy tonight

It's one of the shorter songs on the album, carried by Larry's strong drumming, but also interrupted by calm sequences. Resembles SYCMIOYO in some parts, the end is very similar to Ultraviolet. Political lyrics, Bono sings: "There's a part of me that wants to riot" and, later: "Every generation get's a chance to change the world". Would be a good second or third single.

- Get on your boots

First single, placed perfectly on the album, more light-hearted after all the dense and complex songs.

- Stand up comedy

Clearly influenced by Edge's sessions with Jack White and Jimmi Page. Sounds very 70s and would fit on the "Across the universe" soundtrack. Very rocking, catchy, Edge is "on fire", sounds like a single.

- Fez – being born

First you only hear a collage of electronic noises like phone ringing, a sample of GOYB, then, after about a minute, the song starts. Classic Edge guitar, keyboards, Bono singing very restlessly first, then more melodic. Fast beats. U2 sounding raw like during their very early years. In the middle the song sounds more synthetic and reminds the listener of Depeche Mode. Strong guitar and not so much singing.

- White as snow

Very calm song, short. Begins with atmospheric electronic sounds, then accoustic guitar, Bono sings like Johnny Cash, very intensive vocals. The song is about forgiving and about estranged brothers. Sounds a bit like Springhill Mining Disaster.

- Breathe

Beach Clip 2. Loud drums in the beginning, Bono's muffled singing, the chorus sounds like classic U2. Strings, but always broken by Edge's guitar. Intense and complex sound, a little bit like UTEOTW.

- Cedars of Lebanon

Dark song. Keyboards, minimalistic guitar parts, Bono talks more than he sings, is very dominant on the track. Strong bass line, sounds a bit like "Velvet Dress". Bono takes the perspective of a war correspondent in Lebanon. Edge sings the repeated part: "Return the call to home".

-----------------------------------------------

One of major newspapers here in Finland called Iltasanomat had track by track review of the album in today's printed version.

Article says...
- the album is going to take the band into new direction
- artful but catchy
- sounds and arrangments are experimental
- Edge's guitar is mixed front in many songs
- Moment of Surrender, Magnificent and White as Snow are going to be future classics

...about the songs...

No Line On The Horizon
- really rough sound, but not heavy like metal music

Magnificent
- sounds great from very first listen
- keeps up the energy level after NLOTH
- going to be 3rd single release from the album (!!??)

Moment
- perhaps the most important song on the album
- going to be great in concert
- slower than the first two songs but passion makes it up
- Bono's singing is great
- soundscape reminds UF era

Unknown Caller
- long intro
- Edge's playing is "bold"

Crazy Tonight
- fast song

Get On Your Boots
- one of the most challenging tracks on the album

Stand Up Comedy
- another fast song
- good guitar riff
- sounds are from AB-era

Fez - Being born
- African influences can be heard clearly on this one

White As Snow
- new 'One'?
- beautiful track

Breathe
- pompous song that reaches in for many directions

Article doesn't mention anything about Cedars.

Awesome. :up:

Even more hyped up thanks to these two new articles. :hyper:

^ That's true, but from Beach Clip 1 it's pretty safe to assume that Unknown Caller also has an "Oh oh oh" chorus. Björn says that MOS is "another" song with such a chorus, which means there are more songs like that on the album.

I really like that description that MOS has this slow guitar solo, sounds fitting for that sorta song. :hyper:

Did anyone catch this article before it disappeared?

There may only be something wrong with the url but I can't find in anymore (it was in Google but the link didn't work).

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/commen...um-and-itrsquos-going-to-be-huge-1619396.html

"29 Jan 2009 ... U2: I’ve heard the new album and it’s going to be HUGE ... Horizon about 20 times at this stage and, I have to say, it's going to be huge."

Yeah, I bought the paper last night. Not much to it really, basically it's Dave Fanning (Again) talking about the album, he says; If your a fan your going to love the new stuff, Not a big departure but definetely a new sound, Album broken down into 3 different parts - Magnificent, MOS, UC (All very longs songs) - IGCIIDGCT, SB, SUC (Has a real George Harrison rift to it) White as Snow (Bono singing about his realtionship with his brother) it is for the film Brothers, Breathe and COL have a different sound than all the others. He doesn't mention anything about F-BB, NLOTH or Breathe.

I posted this in a different thread and now I find this, so I'm going to repeat (sorry for anyone reading both of them)

I've just read two reviews on the local press, the first ones since in my country the album was first listened to by the press yesterday.
One of the writers is a very reputed man who is not famous for complying with rockstars, in fact he wrote some severe critics about HTDAAB, the other one is a U2 fan, but he's quite balanced.
What I'm delighted about is that both men say this album is very good. They choose different songs, for the u2 fan the best are Magnificent and No Line On The Horizon, he says this album is clearly defined and that it marks a new era for the band, he also says it's midway between the epic of the 80s and a dark celebration.
The other writer highlights Breathe (he says it is the best song), No Line on The Horizon, Stand Up Comedy and Cedars of Lebanon, he also has good words for Get On Your Boots, he says it's not the sonic departure some people are talking about, but that the melodies are everything but commercial, that the lyrics are very inspired and that Edge's guitar riffs are intense and dark, he concludes saying that it's U2's most cerebral album, but that they show they have something to say and they say it amanzingly. (oh he also says he thought about TJT at some moments)

I posted this in a different thread and now I find this, so I'm going to repeat (sorry for anyone reading both of them)

he also says it's midway between the epic of the 80s and a dark celebration.

he concludes saying that it's U2's most cerebral album, but that they show they have something to say and they say it amanzingly. (oh he also says he thought about TJT at some moments)

:drool::hyper::love::drool::hyper::love:

^ That's true, but from Beach Clip 1 it's pretty safe to assume that Unknown Caller also has an "Oh oh oh" chorus. Björn says that MOS is "another" song with such a chorus, which means there are more songs like that on the album.

In the 6:21 video clip of U2 working on the album (you can find it on youtube by searching u2 fez) Unknown Caller is the song where all 4 band members are singing, and I believe White as Snow is the song that comes before that (where Bono is singing in a totally different voice than he ever has before).

I've just read two reviews on the local press, the first ones since in my country the album was first listened to by the press yesterday.
One of the writers is a very reputed man who is not famous for complying with rockstars, in fact he wrote some severe critics about HTDAAB, the other one is a U2 fan, but he's quite balanced.
What I'm delighted about is that both men say this album is very good. They choose different songs, for the u2 fan the best are Magnificent and No Line On The Horizon, he says this album is clearly defined and that it marks a new era for the band, he also says it's midway between the epic of the 80s and a dark celebration.
The other writer highlights Breathe (he says it is the best song), No Line on The Horizon, Stand Up Comedy and Cedars of Lebanon, he also has good words for Get On Your Boots, he says it's not the sonic departure some people are talking about, but that the melodies are everything but commercial, that the lyrics are very inspired and that Edge's guitar riffs are intense and dark, he concludes saying that it's U2's most cerebral album, but that they show they have something to say and they say it amanzingly. (oh he also says he thought about TJT at some moments)

:up: Thank You!! :bow:

What else is there to say other than :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Track times:

01. No line on the horizon 4.14
02. Magnificent 5.23
03. Moment of surrender 7.23
04. Unknown caller 6.02
05. I´ll go crazy if I don´t go crazy tonight 4.13
06. Get on your boots 3.24
07. Stand up comedy 3.48
08. Fez – Being born 5.14 (son dos temas juntos. Fez es una intro)
09. White as snow 4.39
10. Breathe 4.58
11. Cedars of Lebanon 4.13

Total = 53:31

hopefully we're getting an update from fellow Blue Crack member Sirena today about how her listening party went.

also, our famous Alan Cross just posted on Twitter that he's working on getting a listen to the whole album next week.

So "White as snow" isn't "short" after all.

All songs are pretty long except Stand Up and GOYB.

So great to see that MOS is over 7 minutes. :heart:

So "White as snow" isn't "short" after all.

All songs are pretty long except Stand Up and GOYB.

So great to see that MOS is over 7 minutes. :heart:

heck yeah! and if you add NLOTH (alt version) at the end, the album is over 57 minutes. i personally plan on including the alt version in my first listen because i get the feeling that the band may have thought about doing it this way but for some reason backed off.

^ Yes, but beach clip 1 is Unknown Caller. That's why the review says it's "more than one oh oh oh chorus".

Björn says bc 5 isn't on the album.

that's awesome because:

1. BC5 was my least favorite
2. it's one more song that i haven't heard yet. :wink:

German music website laut.de has another preview. They say it's a strong album, U2 haven't sound so good in a long time, they praise Bono's singing but say that there are a lot (too many) Whoos and Ooohs. They say Magnificent is the ultimative song on the album, a U2 classic. It contains the lyrics "I was born to be with you". They say the album is not a very big departure, there is some experimentation, but also a lot of classical U2 sounds that remind the listener of the 80s and The Joshua Tree. But there is some experimental sound stuff, especially in the beginning of songs. They praise the song White as Snow and say G O Y B and Crazy Tonight are the weaker ones. They compare Breathe to Coldplay :lol:

German music website laut.de has another preview. They say it's a strong album, U2 haven't sound so good in a long time, they praise Bono's singing but say that there are a lot (too many) Whoos and Ooohs. They say Magnificent is the ultimative song on the album, a U2 classic. It contains the lyrics "I was born to be with you". They say the album is not a very big departure, there is some experimentation, but also a lot of classical U2 sounds that remind the listener of the 80s and The Joshua Tree. But there is some experimental sound stuff, especially in the beginning of songs. They praise the song White as Snow and say Goby and Crazy Tonight are the weaker ones. They compare Breathe to Coldplay :lol:

lol! that's crazy about the Breathe = Coldplay. all i've heard is that Breathe is a rocker, something Coldplay is incapable of doing.

Track times:

01. No line on the horizon 4.14
02. Magnificent 5.23
03. Moment of surrender 7.23
04. Unknown caller 6.02
05. I´ll go crazy if I don´t go crazy tonight 4.13
06. Get on your boots 3.24
07. Stand up comedy 3.48
08. Fez – Being born 5.14 (son dos temas juntos. Fez es una intro)
09. White as snow 4.39
10. Breathe 4.58
11. Cedars of Lebanon 4.13

Total = 53:31

Looks like some of the songs got shorter since that Gavin Friday video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom