Irish Independent NLOTH track by track preview / All Other Reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
is it just me or is bono using a lot of religion in these songs? i think god is mentioned in many songs. funny how during the vertigo tour... when miracle drug was played.....the "god i need your help tonight" wasnt even sung. and now its everywhere in the songs. not that its a bad thing.

"After this, we have an atmospheric song that reffers to Cádiz Bay, the Atlantic Ocean, Africa’s sun and a chorus which is less catchy than the rest of the album."

Tripoli? Probably so!

I know that the u2tour.de reviewer said that Fez is not Tripoli, although I have no idea how he could have known that.

"After this, we have an atmospheric song that reffers to Cádiz Bay, the Atlantic Ocean, Africa’s sun and a chorus which is less catchy than the rest of the album."

Tripoli? Probably so!

I know that the u2tour.de reviewer said that Fez is not Tripoli, although I have no idea how he could have known that.

What Blitz(Portuguese Music Magazine) has to say. (Don't Know if someone already posted it)

BLITZ: A BLITZ j� ouviu o novo disco dos U2: saiba ao que soa No Line On The Horizon

I'm Portuguese but I'm at work so I can't lose a lot of time translating it...

My translation... now complete:
BLITZ already heard U2's new album: know what No Line on the Horizon sounds like.

Spanish and portuguese journalists watched yesterday the premiere of U2's new album in Madrid.
More than a band, we know that U2 is a multinational when for the very first hearing of their new album we're conducted to a room in Universal Spain's HQ where 30 iberian journalists acommodate around a table.
On this table there are snacks and drinks, but it's clear that No Line on the Horizon, U2's new and awaited album, is the main dish of the matinee.
The 12th album in the irish's career open with the title-track: U2 in epic mode, with explosive chorus and some atmospheric moments.
After that, in the recent Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends, Coldplay tried to emulate U2, there's on this new No Line on the Horizon - where Brian Eno left his mark too - passages where seem to sound like Coldplay when trying to sound like U2. Something that doesn't maculate this band that firstly patented this idea of good-hearted epics.
The second song, Magnificent is a ballad that left a good impression on the journalists present. Asked to leave cells on a box at the entrance of the room, to prevent recordings, reporters accompanied the hearing with the lyrics of the songs. At the end, we're again asked to return those, but that didn't stopped us from note the emotional lyrics in Magnificent: "Only love, only love can leave such a mark / I was born to sing for you.", sings Bono, which through No Line on the Horizon risk frequent falsettos.
One of the new album's highlights, Magnificent is a strong candidate to next single and it seems to recover some spirituality from U2's early days combined with the vocation that the four of Dublin improved: rock stadiums.
Not even on purpose, Moment of Surrender is known by synthesizers that resemble organs of church, crossed with a soft electronic beat that does not threaten the calm of the song.
Also in the lyrics "Moment of Surrender" is introspective, with references to God, altars and... ATMs.
Unknown Caller coninues the quiet tone, with twitter of birds as intro and the outro "sunshine, sunshine" to set the tone for another song with reflective lyrics and dynamite chorus.
With I'll Go Crazy If Don't Go Crazy Tonight some of the strong points of this album are repeated: Bono's falsettos, the guitar - unmistakable and idiosyncratic - from The Edge and a chorus with everything to take songs where U2 inhabits: the top of the world.
The already known first single, Get on Your Boots, with its "garage" boot is perhaps the most atipical song in the record and shows a hip sway away from the first half of the album. The heavier riff is mainteined in Stand Up Comedy, whose lyrics point again to the spiritual: "God is life and love is evolution's very best day," was heard in the offices of Universal Madrid.
Then comes the duo Fez-Being Born; after an instrumental piece with electronic beats where, in the distance, you can hear "let me in the sound" from the single Get on Your Boots; starts a song relatively atmospheric with references to the Bay of Cadiz, the Atlantic Ocean and the sun of Africa, gifted with less explicit chorus than the other songs on the album.
Equally calm, but closer to folk and acoustic is White as Snow, with melancholic lyrics where Bono sings "If only a heart could be white as snow."
Almost ending, Breathe is a new bet on the tougher riffs, like Stand Up Comedy or Get on Your Boots. Bono, in his turn, delivers that which is, possibily the most descriptive lyrics in the record, in a curious style that is less sung and most recited, almost "dylanesque"
No Line on the Horizon leaves with Cedars of Lebanon, song perhaps too discrete to close the album with an exclamation point. "This shitty world sometimes produces a rose" is, equally, one of the most strange lyrics in No Line on the Horizon.

Between rockers with strong choruses, some heavy riffs and almost psychedelic (see Queens of the Stone Age) and intimate songs, often devoided of the usual power of U2's ballads, comes No Line on the Horizon in the end. At the exit, opinions were divided but most journalists were excited with U2's return. As for future concerts to promote No Line nothing was, as yet, announced.
:wave:

Tripoli? Probably so!

I so hope you are right.

so i really hope we get more confirmation today about U2.com streaming the album in 15-20 days.

From my point of view I'm going to predict that "Boots" and "Stand Up Comedy" are the throw-away, money-making-made-for-ESPN highlight tracks. That sh*t can go IMHO.

actually we try to do the songs justice...i take pride in my work for band projects here so lets not get out of control....any money that changes hands by the way is quite pedestrian...the last time for U2, ESPN gave the money directly to data. :|

so i really hope we get more confirmation today about U2.com streaming the album in 15-20 days.

Are you sure it was that u2.com is streaming the album in 15-20 days? I thought the NDA was to be lifted in 15-20 days (which means that everyone who attended the listening parties would be allowed to talk about it, not just those who were given exclusives)

I read three more reviews:
- from Diário de Notícias - a daily journal;
- from Correio da Manhã - a (more popular and populist) daily journal;
- from Expresso - a right-wing weekly journal with tones and tones and dozens of suplementar free magazines about everything.

Diário de Notícias and Expresso basically say that the album is good, introspective and peaceful, but it's no Achtung Baby.
On the other hand, Correio da Manhã affirms that it's one of the band's best albums and it has a lot of experimentation and innovative details like... Achtung Baby. Any of these three articles now are shorter than the BLITZ one and seem less credible (although I don't trust a lot in BLITZ too anyway).

Are you sure it was that u2.com is streaming the album in 15-20 days? I thought the NDA was to be lifted in 15-20 days (which means that everyone who attended the listening parties would be allowed to talk about it, not just those who were given exclusives)

just speculation, but the one review we read today that the album would be available via the band's official website in 15-20 days.

just speculation, but the one review we read today that the album would be available via the band's official website in 15-20 days.

I saw that, but it was a bad translation. He could have easily been saying something else.

Hello, fellow TBN'er. :wave:

What I got from the loose translation is that either their NDA ends after 15-20 days, once the new site goes online. OR their NDA ends after 15-20 days, once the new album is made available on their website.

Hello, fellow TBN'er. :wave:

What I got from the loose translation is that either their NDA ends after 15-20 days, once the new site goes online. OR their NDA ends after 15-20 days, once the new album is made available on their website.

so the translation may be correct and the album will be streamed on U2.com in 15-20 days? :hyper:

«I know a girl who´s like the sea». Con esta frase comienza el disco que U2 publicará el próximo 2 de marzo

---

First sentence of the album. :hyper:

There is one review from "Terra Venezuela", they even gave each song a grade.

I'll try to be sucint:

No line on the Horizon - The drums and bass begin powerfully until a more relaxed and melodic chorus. Bono starts to show his falsetto. 3

Magnificent - Another love story, but with a melody and rhythm that is borrowed from the early U2. The Edge make "space sounds" and is recognizable throughout the entire song. There is some orchestra sound in the end. 4

Moment of Surrender - A mid-tempo song like others on the album. THEY PLAY WITH ELETRONICS, BUT BADLY. The song sounds loose, BORING, and too slow. 1!!!!!

Have to work, i'll be back soon!

It's the same form Terra Spain (the critic dismantle the album, said is terrible).

Spains' critics are saying bad things about No line on the horizon today.

But, don't worry, in Spain doesn't exist really music writers and everyone who wants to be cool HATE U2.

There is one review from "Terra Venezuela", they even gave each song a grade.

I'll try to be sucint:

No line on the Horizon - The drums and bass begin powerfully until a more relaxed and melodic chorus. Bono starts to show his falsetto. 3

Magnificent - Another love story, but with a melody and rhythm that is borrowed from the early U2. The Edge make "space sounds" and is recognizable throughout the entire song. There is some orchestra sound in the end. 4

Moment of Surrender - A mid-tempo song like others on the album. THEY PLAY WITH ELETRONICS, BUT BADLY. The song sounds loose, BORING, and too slow. 1!!!!!

Have to work, i'll be back soon!

wow. u2shart and shaun vox should write for them.

Maybe those Spaniards just don't like music in non-Spanish? Maybe Bono needs to sing more broken Spanglish - "unos, dos, tres, catorce"?

Here's another one

U2 apresentam No Line On The Horizon - Expresso.pt

I didn't read the review... I'm only seeing my email and then post the links here... If you guys want after my work is done I can translate it properly :up:

Here it goes (my translation):

U2 presents No Line on the Horizon

U2's new album, No Line on the Horizon - which was presented today to the press in Madrid - is filled with influences from the sound of the band on the 80's. It's a return to roots, withou forgetting the present.

U2 has a new sound. In this new album stronger tracks, they combine the rock that characterized them in the 80's and jump for a dark celebration, with a strong choral component to oscillate between liturgy and an epic-difuse environment.
The album is heard clearly. Sets up easily and marks a new stage in the Dublin band's career. The guitars, the keyboards (less used previously) and an rhytimic evolution that transforms each one of those 11 songs since its beginning until the last chord are the keynote.
Citicism aside, in a moment where no one has can hear the album, it's worthwhile to tell the story of the first hearing for the iberian press. The secret was always the soul of the business. To this popular saying Universal Music, Bono band's record company, hanged on.
At the entrance of the room, equipped with Coke, juices, beers, water and snack for everyone's taste, in the company's HQ in Madrid, at 6:05 PM there was an Universal employee asking for the cellphones of the 40 journalists invited and collected them into a box.
Of couse, recording was forbidden. Already in the hearing room, another employee distributed copies of the lyrics of the new songs and asked in english that we did not wrote in those cause we would have to return them at the end. The secret had to be manteined. Only after the irish group put online, in their official website, the new album available to the public we will be able to disclose in detail its content, which may happen in 15, 20 days maximum. The official release will happen on Feb 27 only in their home country, then following there's Europe on March 2 and on March 3 comes the american market's turn. Everything planned in detail.

The first song, No Line on the Horizon, finally starts to play. Sitting around a table, not big enough for everyone, the notebooks are been filled up. Many try in a hurry to copy the lyrics. Others just listen and shake their heads at the sound of the rhythm.
The unexpected happens next. Magnificent, maybe the album's best song (still needs some listens) is stopped abruptly. The disc stops playing. The equipment failures for a moment. Back to the music, but it stops again. For ten minutes the audience doesn't know whether to laugh or cry. Seven persons around the stereo can't solve the problem. The CD won't play. The technicians do not understand why and the record company's team start to get nervous. Comes a new disc, nothing. Comes another one, non-U2. It works. New attempt. Uf! The thing goes. And goes all the way until the end. In apotheosis.
The general consensus is: Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. have anything new to say and they say it well. The satisfaction is great. The dominant sensation is that of sharing. That old thing, to which we're not used anymore: listen to a disc, with people that don't know each other and that are simultaneously feeling the pleasure of music and dissecting it professionally.
Leaving the fisrt group from Universal's HQ, it's already possible to see the second. The spanish press will enter. Will they be able to hear it until the end? Will the equipment work? Anyway, the experience will be worthwhile.

"Only after the irish group put online, in their official website, the new album available to the public we will be able to disclose in detail its content, which may happen in 15, 20 days maximum."

yeah. i think that definitely reads that u2.com will be streaming the album in 15-20 days.

The critic of "El Mundo" (second newspaper on Spain) says that Moment of Surrender is a bad song, and a bad copy of Coldplay style.

You know, don't believe spaniards except for sports!

Maybe those Spaniards just don't like music in non-Spanish? Maybe Bono needs to sing more broken Spanglish - "unos, dos, tres, catorce"?

:angry::angry::angry::angry: I am spaniard and probably like non-spanish music more than you do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom