IO# i don't have to go to work the next 3-4 weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
juror: one who serves as a member of a jury

jury: a body of persons sworn to judge and give a verdict on a given matter, especially a body of persons summoned by law and sworn to hear and hand down a verdict upon a case presented in court

Why does everyone hate serving on a jury so much??? (Says the girl whose never been called to jury duty... :reject: )

I mean, I know it's a disruption of your work & regular routine, etc., etc., but I honestly shudder to think of a justice system WITHOUT juries. Maybe my naievete is showing..... :ohmy:

Thoughts anyone???

BluRmGrl said:
Why does everyone hate serving on a jury so much??? (Says the girl whose never been called to jury duty... :reject: )

I mean, I know it's a disruption of your work & regular routine, etc., etc., but I honestly shudder to think of a justice system WITHOUT juries. Maybe my naievete is showing..... :ohmy:

Thoughts anyone???

Financial hardship is probably the main reason. Employers arent't required to pay you while you're gone and its kinda hard to live on $6.00 a day jury pay.

And some employers only pay for a certain amount of days, like 5 or 10, after that, you are only getting the $6 a day. And some judges don't care about the financial hardship anymore. It used to be easy to get off for that reason.

ABEL said:
juror: one who serves as a member of a jury

jury: a body of persons sworn to judge and give a verdict on a given matter, especially a body of persons summoned by law and sworn to hear and hand down a verdict upon a case presented in court

thnx. that's what i thought but wasn't sure.

Bono's American Wife said:

Financial hardship is probably the main reason. Employers arent't required to pay you while you're gone and its kinda hard to live on $6.00 a day jury pay.

exactly.

not to mention that parking is $3 at the reduced rate for jurors :|
plus your lunch/snacks you have to buy while you're there.
so there goes your $6 a day which they don't even mail to you till a few weeks later :mad:

they should raise the rate to at least minimum wage, imo.

overall i do find the whole process interesting to participate in.

oh and the bs i have to deal with from work isn't too fun either, but they can't do too much to me since its the law :wink:

Last edited:
Mr. BAW said:
Keep talking about it and we'll get your ass bounced right back to work!!! :mad:

i can talk about jury duty, i just can't talk about the case. :p

i agree they should raise the rate of pay. i've never been on a jury. i live right by the court (yeah, which means the area is not so good) so i wouldn't have to worry about parking! but with rent to pay and stuff i can't exactly make $30 in a week and pay my bills. as soon as i move away to where it'd be far enough for me to drive, then they'll summon me! :mad:

I agree $6 a day is a pitiful attempt to compensate anyone for missing work.... I wonder if a better answer would be that employers would have to pay %50 of your regular salary for however long you served on a jury??? Truth is, I don't know the answer! I just hate it that Jury Duty has become such an avoidance issue for so many folks - at least the ones who are wily enough to get out of it. Which only leaves folks to serve on the jury like those 12 that awarded several million dollars to the woman who spilled McD's coffee in her lap several years ago. :madspit: I won't even get started on THAT!! :mad:

Milwaukee County is a bit more generous ... When I was on jury duty a couple of years ago, we got $8.00 for each half day of service and $5.00 per day for transportation. So you got $21.00 for each full day of jury duty and $13.00 for a half day. Not terrible, but it's not anywhere near what I usually make in one day at work.

BluRmGrl said:
Which only leaves folks to serve on the jury like those 12 that awarded several million dollars to the woman who spilled McD's coffee in her lap several years ago. :madspit: I won't even get started on THAT!! :mad:
actually the whole mcdonald's thing was a lot more complicated than it seems on the surface. it wasn't just some moron spilling hot coffee on herself.

to make a long story short, mcdonald's had recently got new coffeemakers. except, whoops, they seemed to have this pesky problem with mold and mildew growing IN the coffeemaker. so instead of finding a way to fix it, they just upped the temperature of the coffeemakers so it'd kill the spores. gross, right?

this resulted in them selling coffee that was way hotter than it should've been. she still would've burned herself (and i'll admit it was dumb to keep it on the dashboard, especially when the average car has a cup holder), but she certainly wouldn't have had such serious burns from the old coffee at its regular temperature.

i think fault was on both sides but i don't think she should've received as much money as she did. i think most lawsuits are exorbitant and you can't put a price tag on burns or death...but these people try to. or i guess i should say the lawyers try.

lawyers have taken up like 10 ads in our local paper saying "if you've taken vioxx, call us!!! we can help you settle a claim!!" what claim? imagine if you were some lowly person, reading this, thinking "well gosh i did take vioxx back when i got that sprained ankle, maybe i should call the lawyer." (because vioxx is a great painkiller that doesn't give you the groggy side effects most other painkillers do.) so they call and the lawyer is so nice and helpful, and tells them he can get them lots of money for the pain and suffering!

"what pain and suffering? i feel fine, i just went to the doctor last month and he said i have the heart of a 16 year old!" etta says.
"listen honey, don't you have grandkids? they're what? 6 or 7? wouldn't you like to get them everything they want for christmas? i'm sure suzie would like a pony. wouldn't it be nice to get her one, for real? wouldn't it be nice to know after you've passed on that you've been able to provide nice college funds for them? i'm sure you're barely making ends meet on your husband's retirement and pension. wouldn't you like a nice condo, maybe in florida? i can make this all happen. it's a class-action lawsuit, it's no big deal, no one will get hurt from this," the lawyer explains.

so etta mae joins the class-action lawsuit and gets a few million, while us taxpayers then have to pay for it, because the doctor's insurance goes up/menu prices at mcdonald's increase/whatever because the company's not going to eat these costs. then etta mae gives it right back every time she goes to the doctor for her physical or to get a new prescription she probably doesn't need but that nice announcer on the commercial said she did.

:|

[/rant]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom