INXS comment on U2 Video SIAMYCGOO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KhanadaRhodes said:

it's just rather hypocritical of them to say bono should get over it and yet there are songs on their new album about hutch as well. what, it's different because they knew the man for 20 years? give me a break. (that's directed at him, not you :))

I didn't see where they said that Bono should 'get over it'. They just asked an almost rhetorical question: "in some ways I think it's better to let things go, right?". That could be aimed at themselves as well as Bono, admitting at the same time that it's hard to do that. Neither did I see where anyone said that things were different because they knew the man for 20 years.

- and do we know what context this was said in? Nope.

Last edited:
All I gotta say, is I saw INXS last night with J.D. and they kicked ass. He did a great job, the band was terrific sounding and J.D. was a great singer. Now, he's no Michael, but who is?

This is from someone that saw INXS back in the day, as well.

Chrisedge said:
All I gotta say, is I saw INXS last night with J.D. and they kicked ass. He did a great job, the band was terrific sounding and J.D. was a great singer. Now, he's no Michael, but who is?

Sounds great :up:

I take that as proof that what died 8 years ago wasn't the only good thing in INXS, as someone stated at the beginning of this thread.

Chrisedge said:

Were we at the same concert?

I came out thinking the whole thing was a rip off, was not impressed with the singer, and feel like those songs should only be sung by MH

U2Man said:

Sounds great :up:

I take that as proof that what died 8 years ago wasn't the only good thing in INXS, as someone stated at the beginning of this thread.

one's opinion never counts as proof.

mikal said:

one's opinion never counts as proof.

Well, if ChrisEdge enjoyed their performance and thought they were good, then they did something good to him, at least, that particular evening. If they are capable of making at least one person happy, then your claim that they are no good at all, is invalid. Proof or not.

U2Man said:

Well, if ChrisEdge enjoyed their performance and thought they were good, then they did something good to him, at least, that particular evening. If they are capable of making at least one person happy, then your claim that they are no good at all, is invalid. Proof or not.

So does this mean that Kevin Federline is good too? :sad:
There must be some freak out there that likes his music.
Say it isn't so. :scream:

Sting said:
If your lead singer killed himself and you hadn't found anyone else but you still wanted to play music... I donno... I guess I can't hate them too much.

Well, you could always just take the remaining members of the band and continue your career under a different name as to not tarnish the good name of the old band (*cough*New Order*cough*).

...Or I guess you could whore yourself out to reality TV, too. :wink:

U2Man said:

I would have to say 99% of the people there thought the show was great. I've never seen more people show up for an opener before (Marty Casey And The Lovehammers, the guy that finished 2nd on RS INXS) and the crowd was on there feet the whole INXS show. Like I said, the band sounded great, and while some folks may prefer that INXS never plays M.H. songs again, I think J.D. did a great job "covering" them. My wife was extremely impressed with the way the band sounded. I saw tons of people screaming at Mig when he walked by, I also saw "House Band Guy" and Mark Burnett. I had more fun at this concert than I've had in a while at a show.

People here need to like some other bands besides U2 :) Coldplay, Green Day, now INXS all get trashed and are great bands. You can like other bands too...

I think U2RMW is just pissed he never saw them with M.H. ;)

WildHoneyAlways said:

So does this mean that Kevin Federline is good too? :sad:
There must be some freak out there that likes his music.
Say it isn't so. :scream:

The same thing applies to him, yes. You can scream all you want.:wink:

If someone thinks he's good, then you cannot say that he's no good at all. He might be to you, but not to all people :shrug:

Oh, and if I had one complaint I would say they should have played more of there new songs...

I’m not sure in what context the comment was made…but it’s still an awfully shitty thing to say. Could it be that he’s envious of U2’s continued success and longevity?

With regards to the current lineup of INXS, it really is rather lame. Would we continue to call U2 by the same name if Bono departed? Hutchence played that same band-identifying role that Bono does now.

Chrisedge said:
People here need to like some other bands besides U2 :) Coldplay, Green Day, now INXS all get trashed and are great bands. You can like other bands too...
there are people out there that only like U2? :yikes:

and as for what was said earlier, one person liking this new incarnation of inxs (and another not) is merely just proof that everyone's entitled to their own opinion :wink:

angelordevil said:
With regards to the current lineup of INXS, it really is rather lame. Would we continue to call U2 by the same name if Bono departed? Hutchence played that same band-identifying role that Bono does now.

The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and MANY other bands have had personel changes and still kept their names. Andrew Farris wrote all the songs back in the day, and he still writes them today.

I discussed this with my wife. She is a huge Depeche Mode fan, and I liken'd it to Dave Gahan leaving the band. Martin Gore writes all the songs (well he let Dave write a few for this new album) and I would have no problem with Martin Gore, carry'ing on DM as a band if Dave died.

And it's not like they hired this new singer a week after Michael died. It's been 8 years...good for them to move on, and keep some fans happy.

What if Mick Jagger commited suicide. What if Robert Plant commited suicide. What if BONO committed suicide. Imagine a reality TV show about trying to replace that singer. Remember: the old singer COMMITTED SUICIDE. Not only is it in bad taste, it's just morally wrong. Have fucking respect for the dead. And to me seems really twisted for a reality tv show. Replacing a singer that COMMITED SUICIDE. Messed up.

Chrisedge said:

The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and MANY other bands have had personel changes and still kept their names. Andrew Farris wrote all the songs back in the day, and he still writes them today.

There’s a difference between a contrived come back through mass marketing, and dealing with everyday adversity, like the other bands you mention. For example, I can’t imagine Pink Floyd or the Rolling Stones doing this in the heights of their creativity. Selecting a new member on television and letting a panel of pop culture judges decide the fate of your band is both a cheap stunt and a money grab. It’s a method that’s not exactly inspiring or organic in any way. In fact, it’s got disposable written all over it. :|

Chrisedge said:

Andrew Farris wrote all the songs back in the day, and he still writes them today.

Hate to be the bearer of accurate news, but you better check your writing credits. Andrew Farriss CO-WROTE almost ALL of the INXS songs back in the day.

Say what? Who did he co-write them with?

Hmmmm, maybe like the most focal member of the entire band, MICHAEL HUTCHENCE.

I'm not downplaying Andrew's part in the songs, but it was pretty much equal with Michael's. Jon and Michael wrote INXS songs together as well, and Michael wrote some on his own.

So Andrew doesn't deserve ALL of the credit for INXS' awesome catelogue.

I've heard the next reality show is called "Jeff Buckly", where the remaining member of Jeff Buckly's band, audition singers, to be the next Jeff Buckly.

Rumors also swirl about a Jimi Hendrix Experience show.

ozeeko said:
What if Mick Jagger commited suicide. What if Robert Plant commited suicide. What if BONO committed suicide. Imagine a reality TV show about trying to replace that singer. Remember: the old singer COMMITTED SUICIDE. Not only is it in bad taste, it's just morally wrong. Have fucking respect for the dead. And to me seems really twisted for a reality tv show. Replacing a singer that COMMITED SUICIDE. Messed up.

Well, you can also consider that by committing suicide that member chose to leave the band (and everything else). He made his choice, now the rest of the band gets to decide how they will continue with the band he chose to leave. Although more tragic than many other ways of leaving a group, the decision to leave was still his, not theirs, so he gave up his right to further influence the band when he chose to die.

If you don't like how the current members are managing their band or don't like the way it sounds now, don't listen to it. INXS was always a commercial band. This is just another way of exploiting their music/name. No real difference from any other band capitalising on their fame to make more money.

:shrug:

indra said:

Well, you can also consider that by committing suicide that member chose to leave the band (and everything else). He made his choice, now the rest of the band gets to decide how they will continue with the band he chose to leave. Although more tragic than many other ways of leaving a group, the decision to leave was still his, not theirs, so he gave up his right to further influence the band when he chose to die.

If you don't like how the current members are managing their band or don't like the way it sounds now, don't listen to it. INXS was always a commercial band. This is just another way of exploiting their music/name. No real difference from any other band capitalising on their fame to make more money.

Bingo! I watched and enjoyed Rockstar INXS. I like their new CD. I went and saw them in concert. Judging by scalper prices LOTS of other people wanted to see them as well. Tickets in Los Angeles were up to $700+ each for orch and pit seats. I also saw them back in the day. BOTH shows were enjoyable by me.

Chrisedge said:

Bingo! I watched and enjoyed Rockstar INXS. I like their new CD. I went and saw them in concert. Judging by scalper prices LOTS of other people wanted to see them as well. Tickets in Los Angeles were up to $700+ each for orch and pit seats. I also saw them back in the day. BOTH shows were enjoyable by me.

To each their own...I just see it as being symbolic of a disposable culture. But maybe I'm just being anal. If I'm not careful, my family may start a reality show to replace me.

MrBrau1 said:
I've heard the next reality show is called "Jeff Buckly", where the remaining member of Jeff Buckly's band, audition singers, to be the next Jeff Buckly.

Rumors also swirl about a Jimi Hendrix Experience show.

:no:

:lol:

just go with your gut. To me it seems wrong that there's a TV show out there with the sole intention of replacing a dead person. And I wonder if half the people who watched it even know how the lead singer died or if he's dead at all. They might as well go piss on Michael Hutchence's grave.

"well if you don't like it" - obviously I don't like it so why would I waste my time watching the show or listening to the new band. Then again, I was a big fan of them in their heyday, and I'm personally offended by how they've steered their career post-Hutchence. And who knows what was going through Michael's mind when he killed himself. It seems rather insensitive to think he selfishly did it as a way out of INXS. However it would've happened...they fired him or he killed himself...either way I think it's wrong to do that show.

yea it's possible it was an accident. Either way, the guys no longer with us so we should just respect him and INXS should've respected him by bowing out gracefully, rather than turning a tragedy into a freak show all in the name of publicity and money.

U2Man said:

worst attempt at making a point ever.

ozeeko said:
yea it's possible it was an accident. Either way, the guys no longer with us so we should just respect him and INXS should've respected him by bowing out gracefully, rather than turning a tragedy into a freak show all in the name of publicity and money.

if they had searched for a new singer in a normal fashion without the 'reality show' and stuff, then perhaps it would have been better; Not like they were in it for the money and easy publicity.
But if I had a free ticket to the show, I probably would have checked it out, but I didnt so,... life goes on...

indra said:

:up: I would find it much more morally distasteful had they done this 6 months after Michael's death, but they waited YEARS. They have a right to move on, and to continue their careers. As for the agreement or disagreement with recruiting a new member on a reality show - it's a judgment call. While I didn't watch it myself, I think it was a brilliant way to hype their choosing a new vocalist.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom