Interference Random Music Thread XIII: THE RAN! dom Music Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If THE MALK! dances around like this during the Pitchfork Festival and the Minneapolis show, my life will officially be fucking made.

That's pretty standard S.M. I wouldn't worry.

I'm still surprised I'm not very excited about this reunion, or concerned about seeing it.

Of course, since I saw them NINE TIMES between 1994-1999, I can afford that luxury.

:wave:

Have they always had some idiot screaming into the microphone doing nothing other than tapping on a tambourine, or is that a new development?

Since Crooked Rain, yes. And the "idiot" is Bob N., who makes the shows much more entertaining. Trust me.

He also plays a couple keyboard/synth instruments for effects as well as a second drum kit on certain songs (hence the "second drummer drowned" line on Cut Your Hair).
\\

Oh fuck yes. Brilliant, ass-backward guitar riff, hilarious lyrics, great vibe.

Re: Pavement, Slanted And Enchanted is half-baked, and eight songs from it is laughable IMO. I think anyone who considers Chesley's Little Wrists or Two States sheer brilliance is as sycophantic as those who believe Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World to be upper-tier U2 or Good Morning Good Morning upper-tier Beatles. A lot of fantastic tracks on the album, but so much fucking throwaway garbage. Purists will kill me for saying that, but they really tied up the loose ends and made great records with Crooked Rain and Wowee Zowee.

With that said, I think the setlist is fine, as it does cover most of the songs I do like from Slanted (they couldn't find room for Zurich Is Stained though?) as well as my favorites from their later, superior releases. Kudos for playing such a lengthy set too; got to make those few gigs count.

Since Crooked Rain, yes. And the "idiot" is Bob N., who makes the shows much more entertaining. Trust me.

He also plays a couple keyboard/synth instruments for effects as well as a second drum kit on certain songs (hence the "second drummer drowned" line on Cut Your Hair).
\\
Gotcha. I honestly have no idea if he helps them or not, I just thought he sounded like shit on that particular video.

Gotcha. I honestly have no idea if he helps them or not, I just thought he sounded like shit on that particular video.

I don't even think a giant garbage disposal filled with chainsaws could ruin Cut Your Hair for me. That guy tried his best.

Did I tell you guys about the time I played Gold Soundz at an open mic? Well, I played Gold Soundz at an open mic. And it was GLORIOUS.

That's pretty standard S.M. I wouldn't worry.

I'm still surprised I'm not very excited about this reunion, or concerned about seeing it.

Of course, since I saw them NINE TIMES between 1994-1999, I can afford that luxury.

:wave:

Well, good, I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

And, fuck you. :)

And I hope you weren't implying that NOTHING from the last two albums should be played.

No, no. Like I said, I'm very, very, very pro-"Date w/IKEA," amongst others. I can go home damn happy, though, having heard like two tracks from Brighten the Corners and maybe one or two from Terror Twilight. Not saying they're the worst records ever. I'm just saying that I don't need those songs like I need other stuff.

In my ideal world, they'd play 2/3 of Slanted & Enchanted, all of Wowee Zowee, "Gold Soundz," and then another song or two. I'd be all over that. I don't think that Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain has held up very well, as an LP. Some great songs, but I enjoy it less and less, all the time. I think it sounds often airbrushed and kind of hokey. But, again, some stunners always keep me coming back.

See, I'd be the person in the crowd who'd be pissed if they play anything more than Grounded from Wowee Zowee, as I don't like it much at all. I'd be completely fine with 4 or 5 songs from Brighten and Terror both.

Oh fuck yes. Brilliant, ass-backward guitar riff, hilarious lyrics, great vibe.

Re: Pavement, Slanted And Enchanted is half-baked, and eight songs from it is laughable IMO. I think anyone who considers Chesley's Little Wrists or Two States sheer brilliance is as sycophantic as those who believe Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World to be upper-tier U2 or Good Morning Good Morning upper-tier Beatles. A lot of fantastic tracks on the album, but so much fucking throwaway garbage. Purists will kill me for saying that, but they really tied up the loose ends and made great records with Crooked Rain and Wowee Zowee.

With that said, I think the setlist is fine, as it does cover most of the songs I do like from Slanted (they couldn't find room for Zurich Is Stained though?) as well as my favorites from their later, superior releases. Kudos for playing such a lengthy set too; got to make those few gigs count.

Agreed on Zurich is Stained. One of my two or three favs on that album, though it was cool to see something like Perfume-V there. Am I the only one who finds Here totally boring and don't see what all the fuss is about?

I think Trying To Throw Your Cock Around The Court is a great track, but of course on that album it has a lot of competition. For the bassline and trip-hop beat alone it's worthy of respect. And while Hedge's little guitar parts are buried in the mix, they're nice to hear on headphones and as Peef said, this song is great live.

I don't think that Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain has held up very well, as an LP. Some great songs, but I enjoy it less and less, all the time. I think it sounds often airbrushed and kind of hokey. But, again, some stunners always keep me coming back.

Agreed. Standout tracks, but the album simply isn't weird enough for me. It's too straightforward rock and roll for the most part. Now Terror Twilight is restrained as well, but it's got a lot more gossamer beauty as well. Plus, Carrot Rope.

See, I'd be the person in the crowd who'd be pissed if they play anything more than Grounded from Wowee Zowee, as I don't like it much at all. I'd be completely fine with 4 or 5 songs from Brighten and Terror both.

It's probably because of people who think like you that they're not playing in Utah.

They should play "Unseen Power of the Picket Fence"

But that set is fantastic, for me, if they played that I would be ecstatic.

I enjoy all five LPs for many different reasons but Crooked Rain was my first and it'll probably always be my favorite.

"Range Life" is my favorite THE PAVE! song. That song gets me drunk with happiness every time, thinking of when I first got into the band and listened to practically nothing but their music for 2 or 3 months.

In my defense, Wowee Zowee is their least listened to album on Last FM. That's right, even Terror Twilight has more listens. :shh:

It's all relative anyways. I really like all their other albums, I've just never gotten much enjoyment out of Wowee other than Grounded. Different strokes. :shrug:

Good Morning Good Morning upper-tier Beatles.

:reject: that's me!

you are one passionate Eno fan, shouter :lol:

i was at a little music shop in the big market in the city the other day, and they were selling record. i bought The Unforgettable Fire vinyl for $25, but i found Before and After Science and Music for Airports, both vinyl. i was tempted to buy them but didn't... they were just a bit too much money.

i found Before and After Science and Music for Airports, both vinyl. i was tempted to buy them but didn't... they were just a bit too much money.

You were probably right to avoid them, in my opinion. The latter-day Eno CD remasters are generally superior to the originals, and those two records (particularly Ambient 1) are a bit delicate for anything other than straight-up MINT vinyl grades. Used and from the mid '70s probably wouldn't treat those too well.

Ambient 1 especially, yeah. Very subtle record, and the smallest crackles in the recording could take away from the music. It's meant to be heard in a pristine format such as CD or MP3; ahead of its time in that regard.

Shouter, what's your take on Discreet Music? I've heard everything up to Music For Films except for that album.

You were probably right to avoid them, in my opinion. The latter-day Eno CD remasters are generally superior to the originals, and those two records (particularly Ambient 1) are a bit delicate for anything other than straight-up MINT vinyl grades. Used and from the mid '70s probably wouldn't treat those too well.

cool. because i was quite tempted. i've always wanted to know, as well, what are the CD remasters like, in terms of the booklets? is there plenty of pages and stuff to read, or lyrics? i can't find them anywhere in the shops, so i'm going to have order them online.

As an FYI, a lot of the Eno albums are stream-able on Last FM. I'm shocked how expensive the albums are on Amazon.

Ambient 1 especially, yeah. Very subtle record, and the smallest crackles in the recording could take away from the music. It's meant to be heard in a pristine format such as CD or MP3; ahead of its time in that regard.

Shouter, what's your take on Discreet Music? I've heard everything up to Music For Films except for that album.

Discreet Music is a landmark record worthy of that title. The first side is perfect, the second side is sort of a graduate student's thesis taken to a shocking extreme. Good, though, and benchmark-worthy in the non-classical world.

cool. because i was quite tempted. i've always wanted to know, as well, what are the CD remasters like, in terms of the booklets? is there plenty of pages and stuff to read, or lyrics? i can't find them anywhere in the shops, so i'm going to have order them online.

No booklets. As I understand it, though, the information largely (perhaps entirely) reproduces whatever came with the original LPs, if not necessarily in layout terms. The packaging is stately, dignified, and succinct, across the board.

Alright, what 2010 albums should I have listened to so far in the first two months? I've only listened to five and I feel like I'm missing some obvious ones.

Best stuff I've heard, so far, has often been pretty far wide of the mainstream. Nevertheless, some recs from my neck of the woods...

Los Campesinos!: Romance is Boring
The Feeling of Love: OK Judge Revival
Kreamy 'Lectric Santa: Operation Spacetime Cinderblock
Sonic Avenues: Sonic Avenues
Nerve City: Nerve City: Recordings 2007-2008
Nothing People: Soft Crash
The Art Museums: Rough Frame
Moon Duo: Escape

And holy SHIT, this is a killer compilation: Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas

A few you may not have heard yet:

Surfer Blood - Astro Coast
Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM
Phantogram - Eyelid Movies
Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life
Shearwater - The Golden Archipelago
Four Tet - There Is Love In You
Gil Scott-Heron - I'm New Here

No booklets. As I understand it, though, the information largely (perhaps entirely) reproduces whatever came with the original LPs, if not necessarily in layout terms. The packaging is stately, dignified, and succinct, across the board.

alright then, i'll save up some dosh and buy online :up:

i just didn't want to buy the CD remasters if all i was going to get was a jewel case with a two page blank booklet or a crappy cardboard effort.

Los Campesinos! - Romance is Boring
Surfer Blood - Astro Coast
Hot Chip - One Life Stand
Spoon - Transference
Vampire Weekend - Contra
Shearwater - The Golden Archipelago

is probably how i'd list the albums i've listened to this year so far.

i'll add to that soon enough with new Ok Go & Gorillaz albums. there's a bunch of non-2010 albums that i've listened to as well. Romance is Boring is #1 by a fair stretch one-fifth of the way through the year.

Back
Top Bottom