Interference Random Music Talk Pt XVI - Post-Cool Double Rainbow...WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love High Fidelity.

It's a good Chicago movie. And it features easily my favorite Jack Black performance. He's not in it all that much, so he doesn't become overbearing. And he's got some really great moments. Like when they discover that they like the demo the two skateboard punks have made and he's just leaning on the counter, head in hands, and mumbles sadly "It's really fucking good."

I have a hard time imagining an EP from this band

Like I said a year ago, No Net could have made a pretty impressive EP. The idea of them actually releasing one pleases me quite a bit.

I also hate it, because there is still a slight possibility I could become John Cusack's character. It's slimming, but still possible.

I've more than beat you to it. I basically am Rob Gordon at this point, intensified by the fact that High Fidelity is one of my favorite movies ever. The big difference between myself and the character is the fact that I have a whiny bitch who lives above me bitching about my spinning records all hours of the night.

I love High Fidelity.

It's a good Chicago movie. And it features easily my favorite Jack Black performance. He's not in it all that much, so he doesn't become overbearing. And he's got some really great moments. Like when they discover that they like the demo the two skateboard punks have made and he's just leaning on the counter, head in hands, and mumbles sadly "It's really fucking good."

JB performing Let's Get It On is a pretty classic moment.

I'm a fan of the film as well.

The fantasy sequences where he has various confrontations with Tim Robbins' character crack me up, especially when the timid guy takes the AC out of the wall and hits him with it.

I just...don't know any more.

But the image of someone carrying around a BSG boxed set to different concerts in the hopes of enlightening popular musicians is just fucking priceless. The Cure?? Can you imagine the look on Robert Smith's face?

The fact that our Jew friend NSW watches Battlestar Galactica probably blows his mind. Worlds are colliding there.

Anyway, Political Insightarianism isn't the most harmful religion, especially if you occasionally receive a box set of your own. But maybe you have to reach stage 3 or 4 to get that.

Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you:

BATTLECOCK - NO CYLON ON THE HORIZON

1. No Cylon on the Horizon
2. Fragnificent
3. Moment of FTL Jump
4. Unknown Pilot
5. I'll Go Thrace If I Don't Go Thrace Tonight
6. Get in your Ships
7. Stand Up Admiral
8. HUB--Being Reborn
9. White as Saul
10. Breed
11. Cedars of Caprica

So, while at lollapalooza, I saw a band called Mynameisjohnmichael. Pretty much only because of their name.

They ended up being on of my favorite acts of the whole weekend. They were clearly excited to be there and surprised by the turnout as well. Their music was very explosive, and the audience was all into it, even if they didn't know it.

Of course, I came home and listened to their album. It's not bad at all. Nothing very earth-shattering, but it's fun to listen to. Finding out how the album came about, however, is even more interesting. From the about page on their website:

In late 2007, New Orleanian John Michael Rouchell decided it was time for a change in his life. He set out to write, record, and release one song a week for the entire year of 2008 under the name MyNameIsJohnMichael (MNIJM). What began as a solo project with Rouchell tackling every instrument and even engineering duties on occasion soon grew to the huge project it is today with an ever-expanding following.
Beginning in March 2008, Rouchell met up with local musician Eric Rogers to talk about his project, now in full swing. Rogers began sitting in on drums and from there, additional musicians signed on (Joe Bourgeois, Cory Schultz, Leo DeJesus, & Richard Dubourg) drawn by the strength of the weekly tunes and the prolific manner in which Rouchell was turning them out. Before long, this one-man show turned into a six-man spectacle, keeping the steady flow of fresh material, building a fan base through live shows, and pushing through 2008 with an unyielding goal of 52 songs in 52 weeks.
And now?
2008 is over, and as far as the 52 in 52….mission accomplished. Moving on to 2009. Brand new record available now, fabulous touring shows and festivals, and much much more. But “prolific” has always been our middle name, and so even though the 52 songs in 52 weeks is over and done, we’ll always be banging our heads together to come up with constant content for our comforting constituency (that’s you guys). The more you take, the more we give. Promise? Promise.
Apparently the 14 tracks on the album mostly come from those 52 songs. It's quite awesome to see how a simple project like that can grow into a six piece band that's playing at one of the biggest festivals of the year.

Here's a couple youtube vids as well:

YouTube - ‪mynameisjohnmichael - Every Night of the Year‬‎

YouTube - ‪MyNameIsJohnMichael - Althea and the Company Store‬‎

ETA: You can listen to the whole album here http://www.myspace.com/mynameisjohnmichael/music/albums/the-people-that-come-and-go-11088485

Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you:

BATTLECOCK - NO CYLON ON THE HORIZON

1. No Cylon on the Horizon
2. Fragnificent
3. Moment of FTL Jump
4. Unknown Pilot
5. I'll Go Thrace If I Don't Go Thrace Tonight
6. Get in your Ships
7. Stand Up Admiral
8. HUB--Being Reborn
9. White as Saul
10. Breed
11. Cedars of Caprica

That's awesome. Seriously.

High quality vid, very nice. I can't see myself fatiguing on New Years Day either.

Why do you love Dalton?

Have I been using :love: Dalton wrong in the past? Does it hold some special meaning I missed out on?

RE: Black Keys

can't say I've heard a full album.

I now have.

Should I start with Brothers?

I did.

Sexy, sexy album. Unless the White Stripes get back/their act together, Black Keys are the kings of blues-rock atm. Plus, they have Motown flourishes, which is an instant sell for me. Tighten Up is lodged in my head and I don't want it to go, plus the video is great. I'll go watch that again.

Black Keys are another band I hear a lot of people talk about and yet I don't think that I've heard a second of their music. Being a lover of Motown, perhaps I should check them out.

LM, do you think someone who loves Motown but is not a huge White Stripes fan will enjoy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom