Interference Random Movie Talk & Robin: The Thrilling Fourth Installment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Hooray for Interference tread title creation saving. Fucking new forum still pisses me off. Can a mod change "music" to "movie" please?

Came up with a somewhat list of my favorite comic book movies over at RT.

1. Spiderman 2
2. V for Vendetta
3. Road to Perdition
4. Sin City
5. Superman: The Movie
6. A History of Violence
7. Batman '89
8. The Dark Knight
9. X2: X-Men United

...annnd what else? Iron Man maybe? Batman Returns? Take your pick.

Your lists? Comic book movies in general? Thoughts?

Discuss.

Spiderman 2 has got to be one of the most overrated films in recent memory. Unless you think that whole New York City post-9/11 rah-rah bullshit at the end was an example of inspired filmmaking. Nice character work and action, but no way is it the be-all-end-all of comic book films.

1. The Dark Knight (tenative, but I feel confident here)
2. Superman II (Kneel before Zod. 'nuff said)
3. Dick Tracy (visually and tonally perfect, if not as much fun as others)
4. X-Men
6. Batman Begins
7. V For Vendetta
8. Sin City
9. X-Men United
10. Batman Returns

Hooray for Interference tread title creation saving. Fucking new forum still pisses me off. Can a mod change "music" to "movie" please?

Came up with a somewhat list of my favorite comic book movies over at RT.

1. Spiderman 2
2. V for Vendetta
3. Road to Perdition
4. Sin City
6. A History of Violence
7. Batman '89
8. The Dark Knight
9. X2: X-Men United

...annnd what else? Iron Man maybe? Batman Returns? Take your pick.

Your lists? Comic book movies in general? Thoughts?

Discuss.

I still need to see Road to Perdition and History of Violence, but here's where I stand now:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Sin City
3. Batman Begins
4. Spidey 2
5. X2: X-Men United
6. Iron Man
7. V for Vendetta
8. Batman '89
9. Superman II
10. Men in Black

As much as I do enjoy Batman Returns, I'd consider it more of a Tim Burton movie with Batman in it (barely) than an actual comic book movie. I didn't know that The Fountain was based on a graphic novel... that almost made the list, along with Mystery Men, Superman, The Incredible Hulk, Hellboy, and the first Spidey.

Spidey 2 is very campy, and I think that gets it a lot of shit from the detractors. However, it still takes itself seriously enough, and I think finds a perfect balance between the camp and the just right amount of drama. Performances aren't amazing, but the characterizations are all nailed down pat, and the character arcs moves really nicely with the plot of the main conflict. It's also the best paced superhero flick I've ever seen, and finds a near perfect rhythm, both in its narrative and within its action sequences which are all pretty brilliant.

It's not as ambitious in its scope or thematic content as The Dark Knight, but it also doesn't falter in both respects like that latter film does either.

I'll also say I really need to see Dick Tracy one of these days. Can't believe I haven't yet.

And Incredible Hulk, YLB? Really?

Spidey 2 is very campy, and I think that gets it a lot of shit from the detractors. However, it still takes itself seriously enough, and I think finds a perfect balance between the camp and the just right amount of drama. Performances aren't amazing, but the characterizations are all nailed down pat, and the character arcs moves really nicely with the plot of the main conflict. It's also the best paced superhero flick I've ever seen, and finds a near perfect rhythm, both in its narrative and within its action sequences which are all pretty brilliant.

It's not as ambitious in its scope or thematic content as The Dark Knight, but it also doesn't falter in both respects like that latter film does either.

I'll also say I really need to see Dick Tracy one of these days. Can't believe I haven't yet.

And Incredible Hulk, YLB? Really?

It's an honorable mention and I enjoyed it. I thought it struck a good balance between the action and angsty drama that was missing in Ang Lee's version, and I dug most of the performances (Liv Tyler wasn't that good, but that's okay). It's not great, but it's definitely better than any previous Marvel comic movie other than the first Spidey.

1. Sin City (don't miss Ms. Bledel in the second act! :drool: :drool:)
2. V for Vendetta (Don't miss a bald, British Ms. Portman :drool:)
2. Batman (Burton)
3. X-Men
4. X-Men 2
5. Batman Returns
6. Hellboy
7. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
8. Batman Forever
9. Spiderman
10. Ghost World/Dick Tracy???

I have trouble understanding the appeal of the Spiderman sequels.

TDK is easily my favorite comic book film.....Ironman is up there too.....

" I like the glow that flashes red like our Krypton sun. But not this irritating noise. Make way." - Zod FTW.

My actual list:

1. The Dark Knight
2. X-Men 2
3. Superman II
4. Batman Begins
5. Ironman
6. V For Vendetta
7. X-Men
8. Superman: The Movie
9. Batman Returns
10. Sin City

I have trouble understanding the appeal of the Spiderman sequels.

Bitch.

alfred-molina_photoboxart_160w.jpg

+

octopus.jpg

=

Doc_Oc_bobblehead.jpg

The problem with comic book movies is that so often they aren't graphic enough to capture the villains and certain heroes.

My top 10 comic book films:

1. Batman Forever
I know a lot of people hate this film but it is a beautiful interpretation of the comics in the modern age. It is campy in a good way and Val Kilmer is the best Bruce Wayne in any of the movies.

2. Spider-man 2
I know a lot of people dislike this one too but I find it really captures Peter Parker. It is a really fun movie.

3. Superman 2
The first one of the series is sort of disappointing from the action standpoint. Even though it was made decades ago, this film features the best battle sequences of any comic book film.

4. Batman Returns
Nolan tries to bring the dark back into the dark knight but he will never touch the gloom of this film. DeVito and Walken are insane in this movie.

5. Death of The Incredible Hulk
This one is out of left field. The movie conclusion of the series is tragic and surprisingly well done for a TV movie.

I haven't seen the Hulk film Screwtape, but I really dig the rest of your list...even if it is only 5 and not 10 ;).

Obviously I love Spiderman 2, and Batman Returns was always a favorite of mine as a kid though I prefer the original.

But super-kudos for Batman Forever. A huge guilty pleasure of mine. I agree that the campiness is pretty fantastic, and I still contest that Forever had the best soundtrack of any superhero film to date (musical score and licensed). I have problems with how the villains were handled though, mostly Two-Face (again), and I disagree with Kilmer being the best Wayne, though I do still like him.

:up:

Now finish up with 5 more films.

Is Forever the movie that had both the U2 song and "The End is the Beginning Is the End" by Smashing Pumpkins? And the Seal song?

That was a good soundtrack.

I haven't seen the Hulk film Screwtape, but I really dig the rest of your list...even if it is only 5 and not 10 ;).

Obviously I love Spiderman 2, and Batman Returns was always a favorite of mine as a kid though I prefer the original.

But super-kudos for Batman Forever. A huge guilty pleasure of mine. I agree that the campiness is pretty fantastic, and I still contest that Forever had the best soundtrack of any superhero film to date (musical score and licensed). I have problems with how the villains were handled though, mostly Two-Face (again), and I disagree with Kilmer being the best Wayne, though I do still like him.

:up:

Now finish up with 5 more films.

The whole Bill Bixby Hulk series and that film are in my eyes the best adaption of any comic book character. They are tragic and human.

Yeah Two-Face seems like a really hard character to get right because so much focus is spent on his dark side. I think Kilmer was the best Wayne because it brought the most elements of the character together. You saw the detective, the wall to keep people out and the dark charm.

To finish the top ten:

6. Iron Man
7. Batman (1989)
8. Batman Begins
9. Spider-man
10. Mystery Men

The X-titles are my favorite comics but the three movies did not capture them at all.

The future comic book movies set to come out in the next few years should blow most of these movies away.

Lance, how is it that you like Batman Forever? Jesus Christ.

And, I like Kilmer. A lot.

But it still sucked, good soundtrack or not. Yeesh.

It's time like these where I question whether Laz is really your Dad after all.

At least you term it a guilty pleasure, which means that on some level you recognize that you ought to be slapped.

If I had to rate Batman Forever on a serious scale, it would probably be a 4.0 (I've settled on 8.0 for The Dark Knight). I think the villains are poorly done, Kidman was weak, and it's just way too goofy for its own good. Oh yeah, and it has Robin. I hate Robin. But it came out in the most impressionable period of my childhood, and I seriously ate that shit up, much like GAF has attested to. I can't help but enjoy it on some level you know?

And seriously, the music in that movie was fucking ace.

If I had to rate Batman Forever on a serious scale, it would probably be a 4.0 (I've settled on 8.0 for The Dark Knight). I think the villains are poorly done, Kidman was weak, and it's just way too goofy for its own good. Oh yeah, and it has Robin. I hate Robin. But it came out in the most impressionable period of my childhood, and I seriously ate that shit up, much like GAF has attested to. I can't help but enjoy it on some level you know?

And seriously, the music in that movie was fucking ace.

I will not argue about the music, it was great.

The childhood part resonates with me, makes sense. I look at films like Flash Gordon the same way.

NSW, we only have one film different on our lists (Iron Man subbed for Dick Tracy). How does it feel to be right for once?

Also, GAF gets bonus points for mentioning Ghost World, which should be on many lists if we're including any "comic" adaptation.

I bring you 10 reasons why Terminator Salvation might not completely crap on my soul

1. Bruce Wayne is John Connor

2. Uncle Jim Cameron supposedly gave the film his blessing (whatever that means)

3. Fresh Stan Winston creature designs

4. Jonathan Nolan provided major contributions to the script

5. Children of Men cited as a huge influence on this film's design

6. Production designer who worked on Cameron's own Ghosts of the Abyss, Titanic, and upcoming Battle Angel

7. Bryce Dallas Howard as John Connor's (presumedly) sexy wife lady

8. R rating highly possible/probable

9. Sam Worthington cast as rebel fighter (yeah, it's only here because of his Avatar connection, get over it)

10. New footage at Comic-Con making good impressions

Okay, so here's some more description of the footage we were shown, and on seeing it again, one can get a much better idea of what's going on in terms of the story.

Apparently, Connor was in a helicopter crash and he has no idea where or when he is, and as he walks through a desolate area lined with burnt-out cars trying to figure things out, he is first attacked by the T600's machine gun fire. Kyle Reese shows up and saves him and they go on the run. On the second viewing, I got more of the dialogue between Bale and Worthington (who plays a resistance fighter named Marcus Wright, not the T800 as I erroneously stated earlier), and as they face off, Marcus says to Connor, "I didn't even know your name until two days ago" and Connor tells him that they're in the middle of a "war that's been going on since before either of us existed."

Part of what made me think of "The Road Warrior" was all of the footage shot out in the New Mexico desert with a car driving along the road in the distance, and in another scene, an armored truck is driving through a gauntlet of broken-down cars on a similar desert road. Reese is on the back of the truck shooting a shotgun (or other type of gun) at someone and there were lots of shots of cars and buildings blowing up, as well as images of soldiers rapelling off a cliff and a guy in a parachute caught on a telephone line.

Some more of the dialogue I caught on second viewing is that when Connor asks what year it is, Reese tells him "2018" and Connor asks "What happened here? " to which Reese responds "Judgment Day."

There is a few glimpses of the new machines that are being used to fight the resistance including a giant tank-like bulldozer (the tank treads grind a pile of human skulls adding to that imagery from the first movie about the future run by Skynet). The full line from Connor mentioned earlier was, "This is not the future my mother talked about. Something has changed" followed by a scene of Connor confronting a mechanical claw that looks like the face-hugger from Alien.

There was a lot of quick images of Moon Bloodgood in the footage as she's running, punching someone and getting all into the action and towards the end of the footage, she has a great line to John Connor, "You saved us once in another future, you can save us in this one."

It all seems very heavy and serious but it looks like it will probably be done very dramatically with lots of action ala Batman Begins and during the press conference that followed, McG mentioned that Alfonso Cuaron's Children of Men was also a big influence on the movie.

We still have more stuff said by McG about the fourth "Terminator" movie from the presentation that hopefully we'll post in a bit.

Ghost World was fantastic....interesting how Birch was the main female character, but it's Scarlett whose career has taken off.

I don't remember Dick Tracy all that well...remember Hoffman as mumbles, Pacino starting down the overacting path.....primary colors only, and Madonna.

I loved Iron Man and will be interested to see how I respond upon viewing it a 2nd time.....

I don't remember Dick Tracy all that well...remember Hoffman as mumbles, Pacino starting down the overacting path.....primary colors only, and Madonna.

1. Vittorio Storaro cinematography

2. Warren Beatty direction

That collaboration also resulted in Reds and Bulworth. Plus it has songs by Stephen Sondheim. I don't think I need to say anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom