India rumour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
From U2tours.com

News: Mumbai, India
June 04, 2006
In an article in today's Bombay Times, Venkat Vardhan, head of event management firm DNA, says "We are in talks with the band" about bringing U2 to Mumbai, India. (Thx C)

It's about time. It's a disgrace that U2 overplays America and totally neglects these new emerging markets. I strongly suspect that U2 and McGuiness still haven't discovered that the world has changed since the 80's.
India is friggin huge. And while many people are dirt poor, the emerging middle classes provide a market bigger then the largest European country.

Muad'zin said:
It's about time. It's a disgrace that U2 overplays America and totally neglects these new emerging markets. I strongly suspect that U2 and McGuiness still haven't discovered that the world has changed since the 80's.
India is friggin huge. And while many people are dirt poor, the emerging middle classes provide a market bigger then the largest European country.

Exactly!! The middle class is increasing rapidly, and I'm convinced that India will be a superpower in ten years. U2 should grab this opportunity. After all, they need new markets to sustain their popularity, as the old ones are very transient these days.

Well at least this is a good sign that the tour is continuing at the end of this year. Otherwise they wouldnt be trying to get u2 there for a concert that would still be 2-3 years off.
Not sure how well known U2 are in India though?

Muad'zin said:

Damn right. In fact, doesn't India have the world's largest middle class or something along those lines?

bono_man2002 said:
Prehaps its time they also learnt about a little country called Russia too?

I think they need a geography lesson.

U2, McGuinness, and all associated people, despite what you may have heard to the contrary, the following countries all DO exist: India, Russia, South Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, the Philippines, Indonesia, Egypt, Turkey, Morocco, Peru, Columbia, Venezuela. You might want to think about visiting them.

I'm not sure how reliable that original report is - no link is provided, and I believe similar news surfaced at least twice in recent years.

Wow. I would be really surprised (pleasantly of course but still surprised) if U2 made it to India. When I was living in India, it seemed like only bands and musicians that had gone down in popularity in the West came to our shores. Bryan Adams, Def Leppard, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Bon Jovi among others have all played in India, many of them several times. U2 is still at their peak. If this is really true, it's great news!

The same promoter brought The Rolling Stones, Roger Waters, and Elton John to India based on a search I did. But the U2 info seems unreliable.

I hope u2 dont play in corrupt countries ( not saying india is ) because it would go against everything the band stands for.

I'd love them to tour India, such a great culture and tradition.

vaz02 said:
I hope u2 dont play in corrupt countries ( not saying india is ) because it would go against everything the band stands for.

Yeah, everytime I hear New Year's Day, I think of India and its struggles and triumphs over the centuries and become tearful (of joy).

ZooMacPhisto800 said:
I wouldn't be surprised... after all, they wrote a song about India (New Year's Day).

Uh, New Year's Day is about the Polish Solidarity movement.

vaz02 said:

Two things, every country knows corruption, its just some countries are more blatant about it. And why punish the fans for it by not going there. It's not as if the government of said country would give a f*** if U2 stays away. By going there, and doing a 20 minute speech during the One intro they might actually do some good.

Prehaps its time they also learnt about a little country called Russia too?
they won't play Russia mainly because blackmarket records distribution is still very strong there.i heard that Slovakia was refused to stage Vertigo Tour last year for the same reason although the band was proposed 4 m $ for the gig.

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

in India???

What the hell are you on about?

The song New Year's Day, track three on U2's War album, was written about Solidarity, an anti-communist movement in the eastern European nation of Poland. NEITHER THE SONG NOR THE MOVEMENT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH INDIA.

Do you understand now?

India has been rumored for a while now:
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1060129/asp/nation/story_5777824.asp

According to an Indian newspaper U2 will play in Mumbai, India sometime in 2006. There are also rumors that U2 will return to Japan in November 2006.
Personally I think it's unlikely that U2 will head out to India or Japan later this year. There might have been plans for the 'Vertigo' tour to continue well into 2006 (an outdoor summer tour in the USA was also rumored), but it's become clear that Hawaii will be the last stop on the 'Vertigo' tour.

This was written before they postponed the final Vertigo shows. Maybe they'll add more shows, but i doubt they'll play in India..

Axver said:

What the hell are you on about?

The song New Year's Day, track three on U2's War album, was written about Solidarity, an anti-communist movement in the eastern European nation of Poland. NEITHER THE SONG NOR THE MOVEMENT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH INDIA.

Do you understand now?

Are you suggesting Lech Walesa and the Gdansk shipyard workers hung out in India?

Axver said:

I think they need a geography lesson.

U2, McGuinness, and all associated people, despite what you may have heard to the contrary, the following countries all DO exist: India, Russia, South Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, the Philippines, Indonesia, Egypt, Turkey, Morocco, Peru, Columbia, Venezuela. You might want to think about visiting them.

yeah i think someone needs to remind them of that really big landmass that bono keeps on harping on about as well... um, whats its called... Africa?

Back
Top Bottom