Inaccessible Island Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mysterious_jen said:
john cleese :bow: :bow:

Quite possibly the funniest man on earth. I was tremendously pissed when I didn't find out about his comedy tour of Australia until both the Gold Coast and Brisbane shows had sold out.

Axver said:

As far as American comedy goes, I enjoy Seinfeld, Frasier, M*A*S*H, and some Home Improvement.

How Did I forget MASH!

Gotta Love Tim Allen In Home Improvement, and As I said, I only just discovered Frasier, and its brilliant!

Alisaura said:

And there's only what, 12 episodes? Eight?

Personally, Blackadder and most of Python > Fawlty Towers, mostly cos I don't like the abusive overtones (how Basil treats Manuel, and Sybil for that matter)... :shrug:

ohhh come on its the racism sexism and abuse that make is so freaking funny.

rabidly looking for my dvd now !

Axver said:
Honestly, the first series of Blackadder isn't actually very funny, but beyond that, it's so fucking hysterical. I remember the first time I watched it. It was an episode from the third series and my sides hurt within 10 minutes.
Fair point re: season one... I do find it amusing how the roles of Blackadder and Baldrick swapped in the course of the whole series.

But the other three more than make up for season one being a bit hit-and-miss. :bow:

Last episode of Blackadder FTW. :up: :sad:

Alisaura said:

M*A*S*H is awesome.

Fawlty Towers is sophisticated and has no tacky laughs?

I read something in U2 by U2 where Paul McGuinness apparently lost his temper at a small crappy car and did an unintentional impression of Basil Fawlty beating the crap out of his car with a branch.

I lolled muchly. :lol:

I think the best series' of M*A*S*H were the couple just after the switch to Col. Potter and Winchester, but before it entered its decline to the end. Those were too funny. Winchester's my favourite in any case.

I'd say Fawlty Towers is sophisticated, especially in the way it sends up British social norms. Some tacky laughs, and tacky laughs have their place if used properly and in moderation - there aren't too many, except in The Anniversary, which is the only episode I don't like.

I can just imagine McGuinness doing that. Oh, goodness. That'd be hilarious.

Alisaura said:

Fair point re: season one... I do find it amusing how the roles of Blackadder and Baldrick swapped in the course of the whole series.

But the other three more than make up for season one being a bit hit-and-miss. :bow:

last ep is "over the top" isnt ?

so heartwrenching yet so funny .

Alisaura said:

And there's only what, 12 episodes? Eight?

Personally, Blackadder and most of Python > Fawlty Towers, mostly cos I don't like the abusive overtones (how Basil treats Manuel, and Sybil for that matter)... :shrug:

Twelve. Quality over quantity. :drool:

See, I think the abusive overtones are part of what makes it. Basil's putdowns are just classic. I love in Communication Problems, when he's trying to explain something to Manuel, "I could have this conversation for the rest of my life! Please try to understand before one of us dies!" I've actually, uh, used that in real life when I was very irritated with someone ...

bono_man2002 said:
I'm tired, not feeling too well I'll probably go get something to snack on later.

I had a big lunch I've eaten alright.

I'm sorta a Food Newbie. I can still cook a Stake and vegies., Macaroni and Scones :lol:

Nobody in this thread is feeling well! This bodes well for upcoming postwhorage ... :wink:

Actually, you're ahead of me - I can't cook steak. I doubt it's hard to figure out, but I don't eat steak so I've never cooked it.

bono_man2002 said:

How Did I forget MASH!

Gotta Love Tim Allen In Home Improvement, and As I said, I only just discovered Frasier, and its brilliant!

Home Improvement certainly has some really funny moments, but I think its main problem is it relies on similar gags all the time. A lot of the plots are fairly similar. So while I enjoy it, I couldn't watch it for ages.

Alisaura said:

Yeah, season one with Baldrick as the smart one is just strange. Baldrick, you're not meant to have cunning plans that are actually either 1. cunning or 2. plans!

I actually haven't seen the last episode. I've seen most of the second and third series' and about half of the fourth. I'm sure YouTube could resolve this problem though. :wink:

Axver said:
Actually, you're ahead of me - I can't cook steak. I doubt it's hard to figure out, but I don't eat steak so I've never cooked it.
My track record with steaks is a bit patchy... I tend to overcook them. :huh:

Hope you feel better, Daniel!

I also love the American version of Whose Line Is It Anyway... for some reason the UK version just isn't as funny. I'm not a big Drew Carey fan, but Colin and Ryan crack me up. :lmao:

mysterious_jen said:
ohhh come on its the racism sexism and abuse that make is so freaking funny.

Basil's xenophobia in The Germans is simply CLASSIC.

"Don't mention the war! I did once but I think I got away with it!"

:lmao:

Axver said:

Nobody in this thread is feeling well! This bodes well for upcoming postwhorage ... :wink:

I also can't spell :lol:

Its pretty simple to cook.

Alisaura said:

I also love the American version of Whose Line Is It Anyway... for some reason the UK version just isn't as funny. I'm not a big Drew Carey fan, but Colin and Ryan crack me up. :lmao:

I cook a good steak. Though I haven't made one for a good six months, so I might have lost my game.

Thanks, I hope I feel better in the morning. I might have to take a sickie :wink:

Oh Yes, and The US Whose Line.....was awesome, I never did like the UK version as much, It had some laughs, but the US version was just too good. :up:

Axver said:
I actually haven't seen the last episode. I've seen most of the second and third series' and about half of the fourth. I'm sure YouTube could resolve this problem though. :wink:
Get thee gone to You Tube, young man! :wink:

Alisaura said:

I'm one of these people who doesn't believe you can overcook meat. I'm known to intentionally burn bacon in particular. I like to know the animal's really, really fucking dead.

I can't say I've watched much Whose Line Is It Anyway. I enjoy it whenever I see it, but I've never made a point of watching or anything.

Axver said:

That Hitler impression with the legs akimbo... I tried that once. Nearly put my knee out. :lol:

Axver said:
I can't say I've watched much Whose Line Is It Anyway. I enjoy it whenever I see it, but I've never made a point of watching or anything.

Thats because you either have to stay up till 3am, get up at 5:30pm or have Pay-TV!

Axver said:

most amazing ep ever .

we have been over this before !!!!!!!!!!

still looking for my dvd .

and if you havent seen the last ep of black adder do so asap but it is as sad as it is funny .

the newyears eve special/ movie or whatever it was with the time machine is brilliant too

bono_man2002 said:
I also can't spell :lol:

Its pretty simple to cook.

Well, I suppose you could try cooking a wooden stake ... not sure you'd get terribly far! :lol:

I can't imagine steak's too hard. What, throw it on a pan and turn it every now and then until it's cooked through?

Axver said:

Well, I suppose you could try cooking a wooden stake ... not sure you'd get terribly far! :lol:

I can't imagine steak's too hard. What, throw it on a pan and turn it every now and then until it's cooked through?

:lol: You see that's because I spend most of my days hitting them into the ground!

Yeah Pretty much, its simple to do, the only challenging part is not to overcook it....which probably only takes 2-3 goes.

bono_man2002 said:
Thats because you either have to stay up till 3am, get up at 5:30pm or have Pay-TV!
Platinum Foxtel :drool:

Not that I really watch it much. But with four of us to pay the bill, it's still good. :D

Alisaura said:

That Hitler impression with the legs akimbo... I tried that once. Nearly put my knee out. :lol:

:lol:

So reminiscent of Ministry of Silly Walks too. Cleese was brilliant in that.

Alisaura said:

Platinum Foxtel :drool:

Not that I really watch it much. But with four of us to pay the bill, it's still good. :D

whose-line-anywaybbc.jpg

:madspit:

Damn you with your Pay-TV and ablitly to watch International Cricket!!!

I miss my Pay TV, I might get it hooked up at home If my parents will have it. (even though I paid for it last time they were against it)....See how big my pay rise is in May first!

Alisaura said:

M*A*S*H is awesome.

Fawlty Towers is sophisticated and has no tacky laughs?

I read something in U2 by U2 where Paul McGuinness apparently lost his temper at a small crappy car and did an unintentional impression of Basil Fawlty beating the crap out of his car with a branch.

I lolled muchly. :lol:

cap042.jpg

cap044.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom