In the name of love Live from Chicago bugs me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
After hearing many Vertigo concert recordings I have decided that In the name of love live from Chicago is the wost version of the song vocaly from the vertig tour I have heard. It is realy to bad because Bono sang the crap out of the song on many shows. (the Japan shows were by far the best he has ever sang the song) It bugs me that this is the one we got on DVD to rember out of all the great vocal preformances, he just sang it so much better so many nights. I guess its still better than the slain preformance at least he sings it in the right key.

check out this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWW7kRFVDqM

Last edited:
I am curious as to why so many people drop the actual name of the song which is Pride to call it In the Name of Love, which is the subtitle of the song. This seems to be especially prevelant in Christian circles so I thought maybe they didn't like calling it Pride because that has a negative connotation.

Dana

rihannsu said:
I am curious as to why so many people drop the actual name of the song which is Pride to call it In the Name of Love, which is the subtitle of the song. This seems to be especially prevelant in Christian circles so I thought maybe they didn't like calling it Pride because that has a negative connotation.

Dana

Interesting theory, but I don't know any proper Christians so I always hear it referred to as Pride

rihannsu said:

Dana

I'm a Christian, and I call it Pride. :shrug: Pride isn't always a bad thing...it depends on the motivation for your pride, and what you take pride in, but hey, FYM is two doors down. :wink:

rihannsu said:
I am curious as to why so many people drop the actual name of the song which is Pride to call it In the Name of Love, which is the subtitle of the song.

On my pressing of UF, the (In The Name Of Love) part is not even included on the tracklist, the song is simply Pride. Only my copy of the Best Of 1980-1990 has the subtitle, presumably because some people expect the title to be in the chorus.

Axver said:

On my pressing of UF, the (In The Name Of Love) part is not even included on the tracklist, the song is simply Pride.

Same here. I guess the In The Name Of Love is there for the same reason that Baba O'Riley is called Teenage Wasteland by so many.

rihannsu said:

Dana

I always refer to it as Pride, and that's how i've heard every 'die-hard' fan call it. Tho a few mates of mine that dont mind U2 do call it In The Name Of Love...:shrug:

Last edited:
i dont know alot of peopel call it in the name of love i think because that is the chorus its just more memorable than pride and the song has become known as in the name of love i think in a way.

Anyway i would like to hear what people think about the original topic - the Vertigo Chicago DVD's preformace of Pride by Bono is disapointing easpecily when you hear the way he sang the song througout the tour.

I wonder how many more steps they can drop Pride on the next tour before Edge's strings are too loose to play.

Retire it. Write an "extraordinary" song to take its place in the sets.

LemonMelon said:

I'm a Christian, and I call it Pride. :shrug: Pride isn't always a bad thing...it depends on the motivation for your pride, and what you take pride in, but hey, FYM is two doors down. :wink:

Catholic here , and always called it Pride as well ? Who doesn't call it Pride ? :scratch:

Can you run an Avatar Survivor so that we can vote it off Interference?

I really hope they do write "extraordinary" songs that could take Pride's place, but even if they did they would still play it because, simply...it's both genius and classic. Nothing could ever relace that feeling created when they perform Pride...

Plus, I haven't actually had the honor of being in the room when U2 are performing (nope, never been to a show -- just extensive video watching :sad: ), and they took the advice of some of you and dropped songs like pride, streets, etc, I think I would jump off a bridge (metaphorically).

Rosebud said:
Nothing could ever relace that feeling created when they perform Pride...

Yeah, no other U2 songs are so underwhelming live.

For the record, I hated Pride live long before I became a serious fan. Ever since I first bought RAH, I've thought that it's terrible live.

I'd still take Chicago Pride over the singalong version from Elevation and Popmart. The album version wasn't improved, but I always like hearing the "oh oh oh oh" from the audience.

U2girl said:
I'd still take Chicago Pride over the singalong version from Elevation and Popmart. The album version wasn't improved, but I always like hearing the "oh oh oh oh" from the audience.

I agree with this. I actually think Vertigo's version was the best Pride since the 1980s.

U2girl said:
That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it ?

No? I can't name a single song that has so consistently failed so spectacularly live. Sure, WOWY is pretty crap now, but its first 200 or so performances were quality. I've only ever heard one version of Pride better than the studio version, and that was 31 August 1984, Wellington!

Axver said:

No? I can't name a single song that has so consistently failed so spectacularly live. Sure, WOWY is pretty crap now, but its first 200 or so performances were quality. I've only ever heard one version of Pride better than the studio version, and that was 31 August 1984, Wellington!

It certainly fails considering its one of their best known songs, but I can think of worse songs live. The dropped IGWSHA and DYFL, majority of Zooropa and the album Pride was on...two things stop it live. You need to hear some Vertigo versions of WOWY, such as 12 May Chicago. A bit of the solo, and a well placed Strangers in the night snippet.

The superb studio version, and I think they play it too slow most of the time. My favourite version is Rattle and Hum, I think the sped up version works well.

U2girl said:
It certainly fails considering its one of their best known songs, but I can think of worse songs live. The dropped IGWSHA and DYFL, majority of Zooropa and the album Pride was on...two things stop it live. You need to hear some Vertigo versions of WOWY, such as 12 May Chicago. A bit of the solo, and a well placed Strangers in the night snippet.

Oh, I agree, songs like IGWSHA were underwhelming live. You expect better in general. But in terms of expectation compared to actual quality, I think Pride is most underwhelming. It's one of their ten best known hits, an enduring classic, and yet it's probably one of their worst ten songs. It doesn't help that Edge's guitar tone usually sounds like crap and he seems to have rarely even tried to replicate the epic ringing sound from the studio.

As for WOWY on Vertigo, I have heard that version you mention and it's pretty decent. Not as good as the studio version, but the Vertigo Tour had some of the better performances of post-1992 WOWY. As long as Bono added a snippet like LWTUA to the end, the song felt like it had a bit of a conclusion and was satisfactory. It's nowhere near its 1987-92 peak, though.

Did Edge ever play the album solo on Pride live ? I think he usually goes back to the notes from the verse. That could upgrade the live version a bit.

I think the trouble is that maybe in some songs "U2 live" tries too hard to match the "U2 studio" and thus fails. That, and some songs in their catalogue are recorded with a 20+ younger vocal...

Honestly, it's been so long since I bothered to listen to a bootlegged version of Pride that I couldn't tell you. Really all that sticks in my memory is that the 31 August 1984, Wellington version sounds very close to the album version - especially in terms of the sound Edge gets out of his guitar - but I'm not sure if it has the part you mention. But when you combine the studio sound with live energy, you get something that tops what's on UF.

Today, the problem is definitely Bono's vocals. His inability to sing the chorus to the level required is really the only thing holding back the Vertigo Tour version in my opinion. But I don't understand why Edge's guitar has had to sound like shit (scratchy and with the ringing dulled) in almost every version, going right back to even the UF Tour. The performances of Pride in the eighties didn't have to be worse than the studio version.

On version from Old Grey Whistle Test '87 Edge plays with Gibson, like on studio version and he gets very nice sound the best I've heard from him on Pride live. Although it's pretty messed up version I think that regarding sound its very good version.

Back
Top Bottom