Important: Free, Fee, or Gone --- Feedback!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please read my post below, then vote on which option you support:

• Shutdown the forum (ultimately, the last resort)

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Charge a mandatory $1.50-2.00 (suggested) per month/per member

Votes: 22 12.1%
  • Have both free and 'Premium' memberships (detailed below)

Votes: 140 76.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I voted to shut down, here's why...

amybatt said:
As much as I do enjoy reading posts here, I voted to shut it down. I will explain why. Earlier this year I went through the same crisis on another board I visited regularly, this time it was very passionate sports fans. When the same financial crisis hit, the list owner went pay-for-read and pay-for-post. No matter how "reasonable" the fees seem to some, they aren't to all; not everyone felt like paying anything for the old site, most just went and found other (read: free) places to post on the same subject, we all emigrated there and the pay list ended up with about 30 people out of 2000, none of whom are thrilled that the action they paid up for is gone. Unless a majority of the people who post stay here, "it just won't be the same"...trust me.

While I appreciate what Elvis has done here, his post sounds like he won't be around as much to keep this the success that it is, so if it's going to change fundamentally in addition to becoming a pay site, I'd rather euthanize it now and go out in a blaze of glory.

That's just my experience and my opinion, for what it's worth.

I think amybratt makes a lot of sense and think things will change around here, so I voted shut it down. I should have stayed out if this thread though, because I will pay $10 per year for premium membership and will stick around.

BostonAnne said:
I think amybratt makes a lot of sense and think things will change around here, so I voted shut it down. I should have stayed out if this thread though, because I will pay $10 per year for premium membership and will stick around.

So I'm confused.. you voted to shut it down but you will pay $10? Of course things would change. Everything changes eventually. Nothing ever stays the same.

Why should it have to come to shutting it down? It would still be free to view and post to the ones that dont want to pay.

:confused:

HeartlandGirl said:
I voted for premium and free, option 3. I understand what happened with the sports forum, and maybe I'm just being naive, but interference has got something real here. I think there are enough of us "regulars" to keep things going if it becomes a pay site. Members come and go, but many of us have been here daily for a long time, and many of us have met each other. We're like family.

Do what you've got to, Elvis. I'm willing to pay if I have to.

:sad: at the thought of losing my home on the 'net.

We do have something.

I really believe that, which is why I voted for Option #3.

Sicy said:

So I'm confused.. you voted to shut it down but you will pay $10? Of course things would change. Everything changes eventually. Nothing ever stays the same.

Why should it have to come to shutting it down? It would still be free to view and post to the ones that dont want to pay.

:confused:

I know Sicy, I'm confusing myself! I changed my mind and would vote #3 if I didn't already vote #1.

Hi i voted for mandatory payment....

However, I think it would be better if users could also pay say....$15-$20 for a year...as that means that people like me from Australia would only have to send one payment...plus it would save most people the hastle of sending in a payment EACH month....
Have both options imo.
I also reckon that EVERYONE who reads, posts etc. i.e. uses this forum in anyway should pay...sure we'll probably lose a few people....but i reckon it'll ensure that ELVIS and all will receive enough money to pay for the site.

God Bless.
WHYWHY.

I voted for Premium too....Definitely worth 10 bucks to hang out on Interference!!! I :heart: this place and would definitely miss it!

Someone raised a good point earlier. Have places like hot press and u2.com been asked to sponser this? Ultimatly (sP?) it would mean less control but its better than losing the board. And 5k is nothing to a site or organisation like that.

While it is a good idea in theory having premiums, i must agree that (in my opinion) I dont think it will work. slowly membership will drop, lowering the amount of content, creating a downward spiral.

Would be a shame to lose such an awesome site!!!

Not to be negative here...but U2 already has a site and message board...why would they want to sponsor this one? Granted this better than Zootopia by light years, but it wouldn't make sense for them to sponsor this board. It would be like Pepsi letting Coca Cola put ads on their cans of soda. Does that analogy make sense?

Anyway, it's looking like most of the "regulars" are voting for the fees....sure some people may not want to pay and you can't blame them for that....so yeah, we will unfortunately lose some members who don't/can't pay for the use of this board. But I think there are enough of us who are willing to give a little back, since Elvis has given so much of his time and money to us for so long.

daisybean said:
Not to be negative here...but U2 already has a site and message board...why would they want to sponsor this one? Granted this better than Zootopia by light years, but it wouldn't make sense for them to sponsor this board. It would be like Pepsi letting Coca Cola put ads on their cans of soda. Does that analogy make sense?

Exactly.

what about making it so you have to be a member to read the forums? And what if you register an account you MUST keep it active...ie a post every three months or so. If not you are deleted. That would cut down on lurking, which would cut down on bandwidth being used. I dunno, just a thought. I dont want to see interference die, I just returned.....

oh, another question just came up...newmedia MUST take up an awful lot of bandwidth. If it is on the same server as interference I'd rather see that shut down than have interference go away. We can always link up on another site to trade mp3s but where else could we ever go to talk/post/chat?

Re: Re: I voted to shut down, here's why...

Sicy said:

This isnt some sports site.. this is the largest U2 forum in the world.. and the best one there is. I cant see how any other board could compare to it.. U2 or otherwise,
Opinion noted. However, I belong to 10+ U2 forums alone (and there are many many more), and they're all different, and I happen to prefer others, which I don't have to pay for. There are plenty of others out there that will offer the same discussions, the difference being the format (no pretty blue background and animated gremlins). People don't join any forum because they're only casually interested. They join because they are passionate about the subject. Whether this is the biggest U2 forum in the world or a Plaid Origami Discussion Group doesn't matter. Don't fool yourself otherwise. The Plaid Origami Group thinks they have it all over us.... :sexywink:

and I dont think $10 a year is much to pay to be able to enjoy it as most of us do everyday.
By the looks of the results of previous pleas for donations, this isn't true in others' eyes. Where were all these people who are claiming they'll pay in the future when Joel was only looking for $5000 on a voluntary basis not so long ago? Had they paid then, we wouldn't be going through this now....

What I'm saying is I've seen it happen already. Joel will get (or has already gotten?) a litany of excuses, from "I don't have a credit card", to "I can't send money via snail mail" to "I don't trust SSL encrypting" to "the check's in the mail". The list I saw disintegrate was $6 for 3 months, and people couldn't "scrape that together", particularly when we found another board that offered the same thing FREE, and had a 75% migration rate to that. Given that there were people on here who couldn't afford $45 GA tickets, I don't see $10 as being a minimal expense to all of us. Sure they say they'll pay now, but I don't see it happening. I'll bet lunch on it.

AB

Amybatt...I understand your point of view....the casual visitor would not want to pay for this site...however there are a lot of people here who have made strong friendships here...there is a strong sense of community here...and I for one, don't want to lose that. If anything it's the little community that we have going that people don't want to lose. Yes, you can get you're U2 news from a variety of different websites, and talk to other U2 fans on a number of different boards....but I have a hard time finding a board where the people (for the most part) actually care about each other, and have in interest in each other's lives. It would be very sad if this place were to close.

*edit to add*

and I wanna make it to 10,000 posts :reject::laugh:

Last edited:
acadiashores said:
oh, another question just came up...newmedia MUST take up an awful lot of bandwidth. If it is on the same server as interference I'd rather see that shut down than have interference go away. We can always link up on another site to trade mp3s but where else could we ever go to talk/post/chat?

NewMedia takes up no bandwidth on the part of Interference.... that's the point behind a decentralized file-SHARING network ;)

Joel

U2Smilzz said:
Someone raised a good point earlier. Have places like hot press and u2.com been asked to sponser this? Ultimatly (sP?) it would mean less control but its better than losing the board. And 5k is nothing to a site or organisation like that.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. U2 and U2.com have not reacted to letters we have sent them. Publications such as HotPress and the like will not do it for a myriad of reasons.

Things aren't that cut and dry. You can't just ask or approach and organization asking for money. U2 and their camp know we are having money/bandwidth problems. We have sent professional letters detailing the problem. No response. Bands such as U2 actually hire an online entertainment firm ( U2's is called ElectricArtists) to manage fans online and monitor trends, information, rumors, what have you. They will then analyze this data and make the necessary changes to U2.com and Zootopia.

If U2 and their ilk won't put money into keeping Propaganda in print form, why would they put money into a fan site? Believe me, those of us who are involved with Interference behind the scenes have attempted all avenues necessary to get in contact with the appropriate parties. Again, no response. Short of getting members of Interference to launch a letter-writing campaign to Principal Management in Dublin & New York, I am nearly out of ideas. We rack our brains daily... it's like looking at a mortgage bill that has yet to be paid, and not having the money anymore without taking on another loan.

I wish it was that easy; I wish we could just ask for money from U2 or Interscope or Principal Management. We've done what is professionally appropriate in order to inqure about such a situation. It's hard to press on with that when you are talking to the same silent mailbox. If what you do is perceived as solicitous and harrassing, then you get put on a Watch List and you then *really* don't get help ever.

Corporate sponsorship is not always a desirable option because it then puts up parameters on content. For such a wide-ranging forum as Interference, that would significantly reduce what we can say or post about.

Anyway, thanks for all of your comments. We will rise above somehow :)

Re: Re: Re: I voted to shut down, here's why...

amybatt said:

Opinion noted. However, I belong to 10+ U2 forums alone (and there are many many more), and they're all different, and I happen to prefer others, which I don't have to pay for. There are plenty of others out there that will offer the same discussions, the difference being the format (no pretty blue background and animated gremlins). People don't join any forum because they're only casually interested. They join because they are passionate about the subject. Whether this is the biggest U2 forum in the world or a Plaid Origami Discussion Group doesn't matter. Don't fool yourself otherwise. The Plaid Origami Group thinks they have it all over us.... :sexywink:

By the looks of the results of previous pleas for donations, this isn't true in others' eyes. Where were all these people who are claiming they'll pay in the future when Joel was only looking for $5000 on a voluntary basis not so long ago? Had they paid then, we wouldn't be going through this now....

What I'm saying is I've seen it happen already. Joel will get (or has already gotten?) a litany of excuses, from "I don't have a credit card", to "I can't send money via snail mail" to "I don't trust SSL encrypting" to "the check's in the mail". The list I saw disintegrate was $6 for 3 months, and people couldn't "scrape that together", particularly when we found another board that offered the same thing FREE, and had a 75% migration rate to that. Given that there were people on here who couldn't afford $45 GA tickets, I don't see $10 as being a minimal expense to all of us. Sure they say they'll pay now, but I don't see it happening. I'll bet lunch on it.

AB

There is one problem with your theory....
No other U2 site could even possibly deal with the amount of bandwidth going through Interference at this time... and right now is a SLOW time. I'm not speaking from ego... I'm speaking from fact and from discussion with a few other webmasters - trust me... I've explored the options. Something that I've stated before... but will again... for a large chunk of the forum's 'life' it was being paid for by the comany I once worked for... without limits or a budget.... when that 'dotcom' crashed, I scaled back as much as possible to cut expenses... but it's like a runaway train with no breaks... it keeps gaining momentum.

Joel

Re: Re: I voted to shut down, here's why...

Sparkysgrrrl said:

I agree (posted in other thread, but oh well am gonna in this one too)
I think some other things can happen before it gets to be a question of paying like -
getting rid of some of the thousands of users who don't do anything, not keep such a huge back log, eliminating the ability to put pictures in signatures, lowering size of avatars, getting rid of the "attach picture" option, getting ppl to upload the things they want to post to a free uploading site such as boomspeed, really would save on the bandwidth here.

These are things that were done to other vBulletin sites I have had experience with and it cuts down a huge amount.

BOOMSPEED is only a 'free' service until you get busted and shut down, then they tell you they will take you back and increase your MB- for guess what- A FEE OF SIX BUCKS A MONTH!! So it's still money. Besides, pics posted from services and other sites are continually using up bandwidth of the sites they remain linked to, the places the pics were posted from. One thread in PLEBAns alone with over 6000 posts and tons of off topic pics must use up more bandwidth than several of the lower traffic forums combined. As much as I love PLEBA I think it is a big bandwidth eater and its old threads should be cleared out after 60 days or so to save this. Everyone shouldn't have to help foot the bill for something so few enjoy. No one hardly ever looks at the old threads, and a few extra special ones could be archived. There is no need to keep threads full of the same basic pics, and since it's always more fun to have new threads, just can the old stuff. Sorry but BACKLOG is eating bandwidth and it would save a lot of money to get rid of it. I also agree with you that all the "11,600 members" are not viable members and should be gotten rid of to save bandwidth. Most of these 'people' not only never post, they rarely if ever browse or even sign on. Losing most of them might hurt the title of 'Largest online U2 community' but it would be better for the serious members in the long run.

I agree with most of what Sparkysgrrrl suggests. I also believe we can't have our cake and eat it too. When Elvis was funding this board out of his own pocket, he could have it any way he wanted, but if others are going to have to pay, some things might have to change.

Inactive members who do not visit the board or post have zero effect on bandwidth and produce no traffic. Deleting their registered names will have no effect.

HelloAngel said:

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. U2 and U2.com have not reacted to letters we have sent them. Publications such as HotPress and the like will not do it for a myriad of reasons.

Things aren't that cut and dry. You can't just ask or approach and organization asking for money. U2 and their camp know we are having money/bandwidth problems. We have sent professional letters detailing the problem. No response. Bands such as U2 actually hire an online entertainment firm ( U2's is called ElectricArtists) to manage fans online and monitor trends, information, rumors, what have you. They will then analyze this data and make the necessary changes to U2.com and Zootopia.

If U2 and their ilk won't put money into keeping Propaganda in print form, why would they put money into a fan site? Believe me, those of us who are involved with Interference behind the scenes have attempted all avenues necessary to get in contact with the appropriate parties. Again, no response. Short of getting members of Interference to launch a letter-writing campaign to Principal Management in Dublin & New York, I am nearly out of ideas. We rack our brains daily... it's like looking at a mortgage bill that has yet to be paid, and not having the money anymore without taking on another loan.

I wish it was that easy; I wish we could just ask for money from U2 or Interscope or Principal Management. We've done what is professionally appropriate in order to inqure about such a situation. It's hard to press on with that when you are talking to the same silent mailbox. If what you do is perceived as solicitous and harrassing, then you get put on a Watch List and you then *really* don't get help ever.

Corporate sponsorship is not always a desirable option because it then puts up parameters on content. For such a wide-ranging forum as Interference, that would significantly reduce what we can say or post about.

Anyway, thanks for all of your comments. We will rise above somehow :)

Of course we can't expect the band to pay. If they paid for this site wouldn't other U2 sites come with their hands out as well? They just can't start that. Also if the band paid, I doubt they would leave its control to the way things work now. "Corporate sponsorship" as you called it maybe. They would want their people in control of what was posted, who are mods, who got banned, etc. and rightfully so. Zootopia is very careful what goes on there now.I am on both boards and I can tell you some of what goes on here would not be permitted there. U2.com is their official website and they really don't want or need another one.

HelloAngel said:
Inactive members who do not visit the board or post have zero effect on bandwidth and produce no traffic. Deleting their registered names will have no effect.

But what if they came back and tried to post? If everyone else has to pay, they should too. Everyone who is inactive should be deleted and if the person ever comes back and is serious about their membership they will be able to re-register under the same name and email address and start paying. I see no reason for keeping their names on the list other than to brag about how many 'members' we have.

I think it's really weird that during the entire tour, the time of hot news and heavy interest, we only went from 5000-6000 members, and now all of a sudden since the board was updated that number has almost doubled to nearly 12,000? :confused: I seriously doubt the existence and/or validity of the majority of those 'people' anyway. Let's keep the board just for the ones who are really there and really care.

I voted for option 3. I DO NOT want to see this place shut down. There are core posters here (and core lukers) who will have no problem contributing 10 dollars a year.

People....it comes to about 84 cents a month!!!!! EIGHTY-FOUR cents a month!!!!! If you love this place, don't buy a can of soda.....put the change in your piggy bank instead!

Even for the contribution/donation banner Elvis has on the top of the page. The goal was 5000$. Think about if every active member here donated at least 1 dollar....it would make a difference.

I've been looking for years for a great U2 fan page/messageboard and I happily stumbled upon this site a year and a half ago and, for me, it's well worth it. I haven't seen any other site that compares.

Elvis, what about having levels of donation?

If there are some people that can't donate the $10 then they might be balanced out by those that can, and will, donate more.

I've donated more than ten times the amount you are suggesting for annual fees.....my point is, maybe you could set up different amounts. I would be able to pay more than $10 a year for this but it doesn't mean everyone else can.
If I'm willing to pay more, and others are willing to pay more, then we should be given that opportunity, you know? It could help offset the people that can't send in the $10.

:shrug: just a thought....

Last edited:
Earlier this morning, before my spice muffin and orange juice, I had a long, bitchy post half written. It complained about FYM taking up bandwidth and having nothing to do with U2. I also was saying that those who think the forum should be shut down should go away if they feel that way.

I should have posted it 'cause I still feel that way. FYM is a bitchfest of name-calling that has nothing to do with the band. I post there, but I wouldn't miss it. Lots of people who post there only post there, and they take up space that we could use for better topics, such as how cute Bono is.

Those who want to shut the forum down:

BUH
BYE!!

Go away. We like it how it is. If you don't want to post here, fine, but don't vote to shut down what we all like and enjoy.

(Maybe I should go have a cup of tea.) :ohmy:

U2Kitten said:

Of course we can't expect the band to pay. If they paid for this site wouldn't other U2 sites come with their hands out as well? They just can't start that. Also if the band paid, I doubt they would leave its control to the way things work now. "Corporate sponsorship" as you called it maybe. They would want their people in control of what was posted, who are mods, who got banned, etc. and rightfully so. Zootopia is very careful what goes on there now.I am on both boards and I can tell you some of what goes on here would not be permitted there. U2.com is their official website and they really don't want or need another one.

Obviously I know this. I've worked for another band's official website and I know what goes on with that.

I was responding to posters who suggested that U2 pay for it. And I was stating what was wrong with that theory. :|

U2Kitten said:

But what if they came back and tried to post? If everyone else has to pay, they should too. Everyone who is inactive should be deleted and if the person ever comes back and is serious about their membership they will be able to re-register under the same name and email address and start paying. I see no reason for keeping their names on the list other than to brag about how many 'members' we have.

I think it's really weird that during the entire tour, the time of hot news and heavy interest, we only went from 5000-6000 members, and now all of a sudden since the board was updated that number has almost doubled to nearly 12,000? :confused: I seriously doubt the existence and/or validity of the majority of those 'people' anyway. Let's keep the board just for the ones who are really there and really care.

Actually, U2Kitten, as someone who works behind the scenes at this place, I can vouch for what takes up space and what doesn't. A list of names has a minimal effect if any. Just because I can't adequately word things at the moment doesn't mean that I don't have my information straight. There are facets of this place that we can trim that will reduce things much greater than a list of inactive names.

HelloAngel said:

Obviously I know this. I've worked for another band's official website and I know what goes on with that.

I was responding to posters who suggested that U2 pay for it. And I was stating what was wrong with that theory. :|

Sorry I misunderstood. Thank you.

I also want to repost my idea for the end of year fund drive ultimatum:

Put Interference.com on your holiday shopping list! If everyone would donate five bucks or more we can do it! Give us until New Year's Eve to meet the total expenses for the year, then sound the gong- if it's not met, we pay- no more chances. Is that worth a try?

martha said:
FYM is a bitchfest of name-calling that has nothing to do with the band. ... Lots of people who post there only post there, and they take up space that we could use for better topics, such as how cute Bono is.

There are several things funny about this statement... ;)

I voted for #3.

One question I do have, though, is which mode of donation will give you the most money. For instance, does PayPal or Amazon up there charge a "commission fee," meaning that you wouldn't actually get 100% of what I wished to donate? I just got a credit card, so now I feel more confident about my online security.

Also, is there a mailing address where I could send a check or a money order? I believe I asked this in a different thread...but I now forget which one. :p

Melon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom