I'm In Big Trouble, Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Irvine511 said:

i'm 99.9999999999999999% sure it has nothing to do with avoiding you. nothing.

don't give up until you know, or you get a clear, unmistakable sign that he's not interested. you'll kick yourself forever if you don't at least try.

Exactly, Irivine. I've come this far as they say, and I'm not that much of a narcissist to believe this has anything to do with me, but I have that part hardwired in me that makes me think it does.

:madwife: (for good measure, lol)

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I know it most likely has nothing to do with me, but this just feels like another huge slap in the face.

If tomorrow sucks, I think it'll be time to start thinking about giving up on this entire stupid thing. God, I'm an idiot. Flargh.

you're not an idiot. i know it's hard to have a crush on someone and be left in limbo over how they feel about you.

just wait til tomorrow and then when you see him just ask him v. casually "are we still on for lunch today?" if he says yes then great...if he comes up with an excuse or something then just brush it off as if it's nothing and say something like "no problem, maybe some other time then" then just back off. at that point you have done all you can do and it's going to be up to him to persue you if he wants anything to develop beyond friendship. i know that's not the best option but you can only push for something so much without it getting awkward.

Sweet Tart said:

you're not an idiot. i know it's hard to have a crush on someone and be left in limbo over how they feel about you.

just wait til tomorrow and then when you see him just ask him v. casually "are we still on for lunch today?" if he says yes then great...if he comes up with an excuse or something then just brush it off as if it's nothing and say something like "no problem, maybe some other time then" then just back off. at that point you have done all you can do and it's going to be up to him to persue you if he wants anything to develop beyond friendship. i know that's not the best option but you can only push for something so much without it getting awkward.

Thanks, ST. :hug:

The last thing I want is for this to become awkward. :(

Thanks, ST. :hug:

The last thing I want is for this to become awkward. :(

:hug:

no problem. i really hope things work out the way you want them to. you seem like a really great girl and he would be lucky to have you as a gf.

I swear to god, this could have no meaning whatsoever, but all I want to do right now is go home, crawl under my covers and never come back out again. And people wonder why I have trust issues.
Hon -
If he'd agreed to have lunch with you today, then cancelled at the last minute because of some "meeting" he'd forgotten about, only for you to run into him in the hall 20 minutes AFTER the supposed meeting? Yes - that's reason to have a trust issue. The only thing you're not trusting is yourself. :hug: Seriously, you don't trust yourself to be interesting or worth the guy's effort - that's why you get paranoid that you're the reason behind every missed opportunity to talk to him. STOP IT!!! :hug:

The truest thing you'll ever be told: No one else - NO ONE - is going to sing your praises unless you're leading the vocals. :) I know from personal experience that a positive self-image is one of the hardest things in the world for many women to achieve - but unless you like to drown newborn puppies, have pushed elderly pedestrians in front of city buses, or torture your neighbors with Michael Bolton at full blast on your stereo, you must have SOME redeemable qualities! :laugh:

Repeat Stuart Smalley's mantra if you have to: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!" or whatever it takes, 'cause once you show self-confidence or that you're at least comfortable in your own skin - blemishes & all - people are going to be drawn to you. The thing to remember is we're all scared of embarrassing ourselves or of being alone or of missing out on "The One", but I'm a firm believer in this: Things happen for a reason - good or bad. If this guy is The One, it'll work out - if not, enjoy the ride in the meantime. :D :hug:

Chin up, sweetie! You're too wonderful to let other people make you doubt yourself. :yes:

BluRmGrl said:

Hon -
If he'd agreed to have lunch with you today, then cancelled at the last minute because of some "meeting" he'd forgotten about, only for you to run into him in the hall 20 minutes AFTER the supposed meeting? Yes - that's reason to have a trust issue. The only thing you're not trusting is yourself. :hug: Seriously, you don't trust yourself to be interesting or worth the guy's effort - that's why you get paranoid that you're the reason behind every missed opportunity to talk to him. STOP IT!!! :hug:

The truest thing you'll ever be told: No one else - NO ONE - is going to sing your praises unless you're leading the vocals. :) I know from personal experience that a positive self-image is one of the hardest things in the world for many women to achieve - but unless you like to drown newborn puppies, have pushed elderly pedestrians in front of city buses, or torture your neighbors with Michael Bolton at full blast on your stereo, you must have SOME redeemable qualities! :laugh:

Repeat Stuart Smalley's mantra if you have to: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!" or whatever it takes, 'cause once you show self-confidence or that you're at least comfortable in your own skin - blemishes & all - people are going to be drawn to you. The thing to remember is we're all scared of embarrassing ourselves or of being alone or of missing out on "The One", but I'm a firm believer in this: Things happen for a reason - good or bad. If this guy is The One, it'll work out - if not, enjoy the ride in the meantime. :D :hug:

Chin up, sweetie! You're too wonderful to let other people make you doubt yourself. :yes:

You're so sweet! :)

The funniest part about this entire thing with BD is, I remember when he and I had that serious talk a while back it was at a time when I was feeling really down about myself and we talked about why I wasn't dating or even interested in it, and out of that came his, "I don't see where there's anything wrong with you". :cute:

When I do talk to him, it's quite ironic that I'm very confident, sarcastic and cutesy; not unsure of myself at all. It's only when I sit down at the end (or middle, or beginning) of the day when I'm talking to friends or by myself that I begin to dismantle all my insecurities.

One last thing (and I've said it to friends before)... It's not fair to him for me to compare him to other men who have let me down (beginning with my dad), and until I get a definite sign that he's not interested, I should relax.

Easier said than done, obviously, as evidenced by this entire thread! :shifty:

Never let him see you sweat, April.

The worst thing you can do is let him know anything is wrong with you, or let him glimpse the anguish your crush is causing you. Best to approach him about lunch when things "feel" normal again (when he comes back to work). You have to act like it's no big deal at all and that you are just work friends catching a bite to eat. It has to feel organic.

Hang in there, sweetie. Like everyone has said before me, his absence has nothing to do with you. :hug: I'm like you. I literally take every single thing personally (especially on this forum).

That's too bad that he isn't at work today. Hopefully he'll be back tomorrow so you can have your lunch together. Sending good karma and zen vibes your way. Hope the rest of your day will be good!

I bet you anything he's forgotten about it by now, seeing as how I asked him a week ago tomorrow. :grumpy:

BUT, I guess the plan now is, if he's here tomorrow, give him till about ten-ish (?) if I don't happen to see him before, and just say, "Were we still on for lunch today?"

He's just lucky I happen to have lots of cute outfits in my arsenal. :p

One last thing (and I've said it to friends before)... It's not fair to him for me to compare him to other men who have let me down (beginning with my dad), and until I get a definite sign that he's not interested, I should relax.

i think this is very insightful.

i know how exciting crushes can be -- i get them on older men, too -- and it's probably twice as exciting with all of us cheering you on (and it's fun for us too). however, you've got to prepare yourself for the very real possibility that he's not interested. and it seems like you're doing that. he is older, this is a workplace, and perhaps he's just been around enough and seen enough to know that younger woman/older man in a work setting just isn't a good idea.

you've not seen any evidence of this, so i don't think you should worry about it too much. but keep it in mind. and be rational about it.

i think you've got to go ahead and make him make good on his lunch promise. but you've got to be clear and open-minded about it. and if you press a bit at lunch, and he doesn't press back, then i think you need to ease up and move on. if he does respond -- and i think if he's interested, in the context of lunch, he'd be quite clear -- then things will go the way you hope.

and i hope they do. but just keep in mind the things stacked against the possibility of a relationship, and remember that even if it doesn't work out, it's not a commentary on you as a person -- it is a commentary about the possibility of a relationship between two people. it takes two to tango. relationships are as much about timing as anything else. you can't blame yourself too much, or even at all, if it doesn't work out.

for now. hope for the best. have lunch. be your fabulous self. and let the chips fall where they may.

if it doesn't work out, well, now you know. and you've learned. relfect, and then move on.

if it does work out, i want you to PM me with the juicy details, and i'll give you some advice unfit for younger eyes.

;)

Oooh, now THAT I can go for, Irvine! :sexywink:

In all seriousness, I prep myself for failure from Day One when it comes to anything with men. I tell myself umpteenth times this or that, because I'm afraid that if I hope too much, then nothing will come of it for sure. I was even fighting this at first; I tried convincing myself it wasn't a good idea, then as weeks went by we'd have a nice talk or he'd flirt or I'd flirt; then it became a really good idea, one that I've been agonizing over with you all ever since. It's been fun, sure, but there have been times when it's been total hell and reminds me why I hate falling for anyone!

Last night I was even trying to convince myself that if things didn't work out today (or tomorrow, or whenever we have lunch), that I didn't really like him that much to begin with, but I know that would be a boldfaced lie. I've known this man for over 2 years and to say I have anything less than a huge affection for him would be ridiculous.

In any case, I guess we'll see what happens soon.

No update yet? hmmm.. I picture Smitten Kitten off working her magic right about now :flirt:

What's for lunch??? :drool:

Well, I asked. I made sure to be lighthearted and cool.

"Are we still on for lunch today?"

"Oh, no, I've got a lot of catching up to do today with missing yesterday."

Whatever. My friends who know him say they expected a lot more from him and that they were dissapointed in him.

I really am, too. I never thought he could be this way, but apparently there's a time to be proven wrong for everything.

What a jackass. I guess I've lost my Bob Harris and that fucking breaks my heart. :sad: :scream: :sigh:

PS- He did say maybe next week or whenever, and maybe he means it, but I'm not holding my breath with the way he's been acting. We talked about work and how he was sick yesterday and it was fine and before I left I said, "Ok, well let me know when you want to go," and he said ok, but like I said, I'm not feeling very warm and fuzzy around him right now. I saw him in the hallway a few minutes ago and I tried hard not to seem upset but I had just come back from talking to my friends and I'm sure it still showed.

Ok, probably not what you want to hear, but I officially am going on record and strongly recommending that you do not bring up the subject of lunch again. If he asks next week, well hot damn! Do it, go and enjoy. If not, then sucks for him....

Then again, this coming from the girl that has been single for a couple years longer than you :hmm:

Sorry hon :hug:

Cleveland, Cleveland, Cleveland....

I'm so sorry, April.

I'm going through my own epic boy drama, and I wish they made an instruction manual on how to figure out men's thoughts/intentions. :(

The ball is in his court.. I hope he comes through for you. You deserve it. :hug:

Chalk up another on the board of "Men who have dissapointed April".

I shouldn't even be shocked at this point, but I am. I really never thought he out of all people would be such an ass. And I never thought I'd be the idiot who, a half-hour later, is now making up excuses for him: "Maybe he really IS swamped, he was sick yesterday", "Maybe he WILL go next week with me,", etc.

:sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom