Illuminate - Heaven and Hell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Sorry, it's been so long since I lasted posted. I have to admit that I don't love this next bit. For some reason, it was tough to write and I'm not 100% happy with it, but I could work on it forever and never post it. Once again, this is fiction and just my bored mind keeping me entertained. If you are entertained as well - great. Thanks for reading.

The week after Larry and Abby ended their affair; dark clouds hung low over New York City. The early spring that graced the city the week before was just a memory. Larry’s mood matched the weather. He was quick to lose his temper. Adam had noticed that Abby had not joined them for dinner in the last few nights. It was said that she was busy with work. Larry’s eyes darkened and he would take a bigger slug of his drink when her name was mentioned.

Abby decided to forge ahead with her relationship with Jake. It was clear that there was no reason to hold onto Larry. She chalked it up to a brief moment in her life that filled her with joy. But she determined it didn’t mean she couldn’t love and be happy again.

After spending her week with Jake, Abby had dinner with the band the night before they left in a small restaurant not far from Midtown around a long table. Larry was seated at one end with Adam, Andrew and Lydia. Abby was happy to sit next to Bono. She asked questions about his current political projects and he was more than happy to give her every detail. It kept her eyes focused on him. She and Larry had greeted one another with guarded warmth when she entered the restaurant. Her breath caught in her throat as her eyes found him. A small smile rested on his lips as he listened to Lydia. His dark blue shirt hung open as it always did. It didn't matter how cold it was.

At the other end of the table, Larry was deep in conversation with Andrew about the upcoming tour. Andrew was delighted that the homebody was launching the discussion. Adam knew he was just avoiding Abby. When Abby’s voice carried to his end of the table, Larry lost concentration as he strained to hear her.

At eleven, Abby stood. She glanced at her watch.

“You’re leaving so soon?” Bono cried.

“I have things to do. My work is never done,” she said. “I’ll see you in a few months.”

Bono collected her in big hug. “I’ll be back in few weeks.”

“Ah…like athlete’s foot,” she smiled.

She made her way round the table. Her stomach lurched as she reached Larry. His arms slid around her waist. She breathed him for the last time. He squeezed her tightly.

“Be good,” her voice was tight.

“Take care. We’ll see you in a few months,” his breath tickled her ear.

A shiver ran down her spine. She swallowed hard and moved away. “Have a great trip home guys.”

Larry watched her wind her way through the crowd. The door swung open and she was gone. He sighed heavily. Looking up, he saw Adam studying his face. Running his fingers through his hair, he motioned to the waitress.

“We’ll have another round,” he said reclaiming his seat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why Larry let Bono talk him into going out after dinner, he’ll never know. After all, he was tired and irritable. But there he was stepping out of the car and heading into an after-party. He followed the other three past the velvet rope. The door swung open and he stepped into the Saturday Night Live after show party. The retro bar wrapped the entire length of the club. Cherry red booths lined the other side. Bono disappeared into the crowd.

“That was quick,” Larry muttered.

“Might as well get a drink,” Edge said. “C’mon, it’s on me.”

Within moments, Edge was cornered by Seth Myers at the bar. Larry and Adam were now on their own. Adam ordered a seltzer and a beer for Larry.

“How long do you think we have to stay?” Larry asked.

Adam shrugged. “Not long. Bono will find his way home.”

“But will he make the plane?” he asked.

“Do you really care?” Adam smirked.

He laughed. “I guess not.”

Larry took a sip of his beer. The small trendy bar swam with actors, writers and SNL groupies. He hated these scenes. He spotted Bono across the bar with Darrell Hammond. Secretly, he sent him a chilly glare for dragging them here. He could be tossing and turning in his bed. Tomorrow night, he would be home with his family. This week in New York would just be a memory.

Bono had moved on to the guest star of the week, Jake. Their hands waved animatedly. Larry figured they were discussing world debt or green house issues. Jake reached behind him and wrapped his arms around a pretty blonde. The beer slipped through Larry’s fingers as Jake planted a kiss on Abby’s lips. All eyes turned on him – including Abby’s. He turned bright red as he retrieved the bottle from the floor. Part embarrassment and part anger. Two waitresses rushed over.

“I’m okay…it barely spilled,” he apologized.

Abby’s blood ran cold. These two worlds were not supposed to converge. Not yet – at least. With a scowl, Larry disappeared towards the back of the bar. So that’s where she was spending her week, he thought. Was this the other guy she had been seeing? He ran a hand over his head. She certainly moved on quickly, he thought bitterly. Jealousy raged through him like a brush fire. He should just leave. Let her carry on with her new boyfriend. What did he care? He was thankful that he didn’t throw his life away for her. Yet, his feet would not carry him out of the club. He watched Jake lean close to her as she talked his ear. With a smile, he nodded as she gave his arm a squeeze. Her eyes focused on Larry as she walked over to him.

He turned away and placed his beer on the table in front of him.

“What are you doing here?” her voice was next to him.

“Bono dragged us here,” he couldn’t look at her.

“I wasn’t expecting to see you,” she said.

“That’s apparent,” his voice was thick with bitterness.

She shook her head. “Don’t start getting sanctimonious on me.”

“He’s ten years younger than you, you know.”

She glanced at him. “I know. What’s your point?”

He shrugged. “There’s no point.”

She cocked her head to the side. “Larry, with you there is always a point.”

He looked away. “He’s 20 years younger than me.” Suddenly, he felt sick.

She folded her arms in front of her. “Then I guess it’s good that you aren’t dating him.”

He bit his lip. “You are dating him then? This is the guy?”

She looked up at him. “Yes, it’s the guy.”

“Did you always know he was coming to town? Or was he in town all along?” He stripped the paper label off his beer.

Abby shook her head. “He came in this week. I had planned to break it off before….” She glanced around. She wondered how this conversation looked to others. Did it look like a lover’s spat? She lowered her voice. “Before you ended things.”

Her words stung, but they were true. He took a deep breath. He couldn’t say what he wanted to say. Sure, she had every right to date who she wanted – 10 years younger or older.

“And actually, it’s 9years. He’s 26,” Abby walked away. How did he dare breathe one word about Jake? After all, Larry told her that he had nothing to offer her. Of course she had to move on.

Larry’s eyes followed her as she rejoined the conversation with Jake and Bono. Jake’s eyes lit up as she touched his arm. Adam appeared beside Larry.

“It’s time to come clean with yourself,” Adam said simply as Larry stared after Abby and Jake. “If you don’t, you’ll lose her.”

“It’s wrong. I’m with Ann,” Larry scowled at his behavior. He wasn’t surprised to hear Adam’s advice. He suspected that Adam knew.

“Sometimes it’s not black and white, Lar. You need to learn to live with the grey in life,” Adam said. “How fair are you being to Ann when you are clearly in love with Abby?”

Larry didn’t know he was being that transparent. He glanced at Adam. “There are the kids.”

“I’m not telling you to dissolve your family quite yet. You need to talk to Abby and see where she’s is in this,”

“She’s with Jake,” Larry sighed with exasperation.

“Is that what she really wants though? I beg to differ,” Adam nodded.

Larry wasn’t sure he had the strength to make a move so drastic. Once he took that step forward, it was admitting it to himself that he was in love in Abby and had been for 5 years.

“It’s not that simple,” Larry rubbed his eyes with his fingers.

“I know that. It never is,” Adam said. “But can you go on like this? Watching her? Holding your breath when she’s near you?”

“It’s just better this way. It’s been discussed,” he said dismissively. He couldn’t watch them anymore. He wanted to go home. Suddenly, he couldn’t wait to see his kids.

Adam nodded. “So, you’re okay with this?” He motioned to Abby and Jake.

Larry’s eyes darkened as Jake hand casually rested on the nape of her neck. “As okay as I can be about it. Look, it’s just not going to work. It’s something that happened.” Adam opened his mouth to speak. “Let it go.”

“Okay,” Adam shrugged. “Just think about what I said. Life’s too short to be unhappy.”

“I’m going home to my family tomorrow. That makes me happy,” he finished his beer.

Larry placed his beer on the table. He motioned to the bartender for another. Across the room, Edge was in conversation with the guitarist of the guest band. It was almost three in the morning and there was no sign of the party letting up. Taking a rather large gulp from his beer, his eyes turned to Abby and Jake. With a cleansing breath, he headed in their direction. Abby met his eyes and panic hit her face. He was a man with a mission and she was terrified to learn what it was.

“You’re still here?” Bono asked as Larry joined the circle.

“Yeah, but this is my last. We have a plane to catch tomorrow,” he said.

“Ah, home sweet home,” Bono nodded.

His eyes turned to Jake. “I don’t think we’ve met. Larry.”

Abby swallowed hard. Larry’s gaze shifted to Abby as Jake extended his hand. “No, we haven’t. I’m Jake. I’m a huge fan. I did see you in LA during the last tour but you weren’t at the after party.”

Bono chuckled. “He is rarely at them.”

“I usually had better things to do,” his gaze made Abby flush. Why was he trying so hard to make her uncomfortable? She wondered.

“I’m sure Ann and the kids will be happy to have you back,” she volleyed back at him.

Larry nodded at her zing. This could get ugly very quickly. He bit his lip. “I’m sure they will be.”

Edge wandered over with a yawn. “Hey, I’ve had it. Who wants to share a taxi?”

Larry tilted his head back and finished his entire beer. “I’ll share one with you. It’s past my bedtime.” His eyes met Abby’s, “Have a good night.”

She raised her eyebrow. “I will. Have a nice flight home.”

“I will,” he said pointedly.

Larry turned to walk out of the bar. His head swam with anger and hurt that it pounded. It was after three in the morning and any bed was calling him. He wanted to erase the image of Abby and Jake from his mind. Larry glanced over his shoulder to see Jake slip his arm around Abby’s shoulders and pull her close to him. It was simple. They were really over. Clearly, Abby had moved on. He closed as his eyes as he sat beside Adam in the taxi.

“Don’t say anything,” he growled.

You're NOT the only one reading this one. I've been loving it -- but haven't had time to post. I'm looking forward to MORE -- and to seeing how/if things get resolved.

GraceRyan said:
Edge wandered over with a yawn. “Hey, I’ve had it. Who wants to share a taxi?”

Larry tilted his head back and finished his entire beer. “I’ll share one with you. It’s past my bedtime.” His eyes met Abby’s, “Have a good night.”

She raised her eyebrow. “I will. Have a nice flight home.”

“I will,” he said pointedly.

Larry turned to walk out of the bar. His head swam with anger and hurt that it pounded. It was after three in the morning and any bed was calling him. He wanted to erase the image of Abby and Jake from his mind. Larry glanced over his shoulder to see Jake slip his arm around Abby’s shoulders and pull her close to him. It was simple. They were really over. Clearly, Abby had moved on. He closed as his eyes as he sat beside Adam in the taxi.

“Don’t say anything,” he growled. [/B]

Just noticed this, Edge wanders over and asks who wants to share a taxi but in the next paragraph Larry sits next to Adam in the taxi. So was it supposed to be Adam that asked about sharing the taxi or are all three of them supposed to be sharing it.

Otherwise really good story, keep it up.

Dana

Re: Re: Illuminate - Heaven and Hell

rihannsu said:

Just noticed this, Edge wanders over and asks who wants to share a taxi but in the next paragraph Larry sits next to Adam in the taxi. So was it supposed to be Adam that asked about sharing the taxi or are all three of them supposed to be sharing it.

Otherwise really good story, keep it up.

Dana

All three take the taxi and leave Bono - as usual. But you also caught me - I'm growing bored with my own story. I guess this is what happens when life gets in the way.

Thanks to everyone that read it. I have a scene or two to go before I put it to bed for awhile. Right now my nights are spent writing resumes. Whoopee!

Back
Top Bottom