I still know there was something I had to do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hippy said:
yay Kristie! what will you be doing?

in other randomness... an infomercial on the tv just used the word "ginormous"... and it reminded me of the old PLEBA days... which is the only other place I've ever heard that word :lol:

we started a trend! :lol:

I am the new weekend supervisor at the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend.

What my job title leaves out is "gift shop babysitter." I run the high school kids that work in the gift shop/information desk/ticket sales on the weekends, and I'll work some Mondays and some evenings when they have special functions.
But it works well with my schedule, I'll have the whole week off to work on my thesis, and my stepfather is more excited about me working there than I've ever seen him.

Huzzah, Kristie! So are you done with school (at least living there) for good now? Are you working on a phd? :bow:

I get to go back to work in a few weeks. I applied for this awesome job I really didn't think I'd get, but I ended up doing three interviews and the search committee was split half and half between me and one other applicant (I get all the inside info b/c it's a school and my aunt has taught there for 20 years). So, I didn't get picked and that kind of sucked mostly b/c my entire extended family was all into it, even though I personally was surprised I got that far. Then I did two interviews for a new job at Calvin b/c I figured they have better benefits than anywhere else and Phil gets half off tuition. They're supposed to call tomorrow and let me know, but my old boss called and said this one guy I never really liked turned in his 2 week notice and I could have his spot. I kinda want the other job, just for a change, but going back to my old job = more money and twice as much paid vacation (I think b/c it's an exempt/highly specialized job). I decided I'd be stupid not to go with that, so unofficially I've been re-hired into a higher position on the totem pole. Now I'm hoping I can make enough between now and December to put the Hawaii honeymoon back on the calendar. I don't know what the pay is, but my co-workers have houses, young families, and wives that only work part time, so it should be plenty for Phil and I in the apartment and one car that's paid off (thank God!).

Actually, I'm WAY more excited about a road trip to Ikea on Sunday than I am about getting re-hired :reject:

ooo which Ikea are you going to?
Chicago?
and I have a friend in Ann Arbor who just took a Hawaii honeymoon, she recommends it :sexywink:

I'm.. still here kind of temporarily. I'm done with all my coursework at Yale and I just have to finish my thesis, but I'm still technically a full-time student. I'm living at home at least until Christmas and probably longer, since it's way cheaper to live here and I don't want to take out any more student loans...
Once I get the thesis done the job search begins, though I don't know if anyone will hire me until I actually get the degree. I'm working on my MA, there may be a PhD in my future... but not just yet. I'm about schooled out.

hooray for jobs for everyone!

An MA still gets :bow: in my book. I was schooled out after high school!

We're actually going to the Ikea in Canton, MI because it's 2 hours, whereas the one in IL would be at least 3.5 hours. Plus, I think my little sis wants to drive so she can practice, and I'd rather not have her on the 80/90/94 on a weekend.

Kristie said:

I am the new weekend supervisor at the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend.

Does it have the Studebaker from The Muppet Movie?

muppet20movie20studebaker.jpg

Fozzie - "A bear in his natural environment . . . a Studebaker!"
tmm50-03.jpg

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
An MA still gets :bow: in my book. I was schooled out after high school!

We're actually going to the Ikea in Canton, MI because it's 2 hours, whereas the one in IL would be at least 3.5 hours. Plus, I think my little sis wants to drive so she can practice, and I'd rather not have her on the 80/90/94 on a weekend.

I didn't know there was one in Michigan, is that relatively new?
and yes, that highway in chicago is not for the faint-hearted... my parents freak out on it and they've been driving for decades. I always sit in the back and ask if they want me to drive every 10 minutes, because after driving on the busiest highway in the nation all last year I'm pretty good at that stuff.
I try not to get on the Dan Ryan if I can avoid it, though.

Hi all :wave:

Yep, the Ikea has just been there for a few months. I waited to go til they had been open for 2 weeks, about an hour before they closed - utter insanity :crazy: But lots of cool stuff, you really need a big block of time to take it all in :drool:

kellyahern said:

Does it have the Studebaker from The Muppet Movie?

muppet20movie20studebaker.jpg

Fozzie - "A bear in his natural environment . . . a Studebaker!"
tmm50-03.jpg

YEAH IT DOES!

the paint's really faded, but it's definately in the gallery and it says "This was featured in the Muppets movie!" and has pictures from the movie and stuff.
It's also got the one that was in The Color Purple, but that one's just yellow.

Kristie said:
I try not to get on the Dan Ryan if I can avoid it, though.

remember when i crossed 5 lanes of traffic within like 100 ft? yeah, that was fun.

i'm really used to driving downtown chicago these days, although i don't have a car anymore...

lies, you should've come to the schaumburg ikea...then you could've visited me!

Schaumburg = waaaay too much gas $$$. Today was by far the most uncomfortable two hour ride home ever (and I've been in the wheel-well seat on a bus going up a mountain "road" in East Africa). But, we got a bed, mattress, mattress top, rug, book shelf, and other decorative necessities. :D And all of it fit INSIDE my mom's car (with three people). I'm just so happy we have a BED! I keep going in to check on it every few minutes. I made it up all nice, like in a catalog, and during commercials I just go check it out again. The air mattress was OK for me, but it doesn't work for two people. Plus, when we took all the sheets and pads off, it was covered w/ black mold :barf:

Stories for Boys said:

remember when i crossed 5 lanes of traffic within like 100 ft? yeah, that was fun.

i'm really used to driving downtown chicago these days, although i don't have a car anymore...

lies, you should've come to the schaumburg ikea...then you could've visited me!

:lol:
yes.
that is why I don't like the Dan Ryan.
Because there are exits on both sides and no signs until you actually have to exit, when there are 8 zillion cars all going 90mph.

....and I will come visit you if you'll go to Medieval Times with me.
mechant8.gif

it's like $30 for dinner
but I love that place so... I just hope I don't go there someday and be horribly disappointed because I'm not there with 300 kids from my school

we got in trouble once because we cheered too loudly

edit to say... ok, it's like $50

I might have to come up with another "I'll come visit you if..."

Last edited:
kellyahern said:
I went to Medieval Times in Orlando once. The knight that our section was assigned to cheer for didn't look very medieval. We callled him "Sir Chip from Accounting." :shrug:.

hahaha
when we (the marching band in high school) went to the one in Florida, the knight we had was brand new and it was his first day, so they filled up his section with band kids because we are notoriously loud when we cheer. They thought he could use it.
He lost his first fight and we switched allegiance to the black knight :D

the second time I got to sit in the very front row and our knight gave me a flower :cute:

yeah here too!
I woke up at 9:30 and it was blizzarding and there was snow on the ground, and I said a bad word and went back to sleep.
The snow melted but it flurried all day.
:sad:

i got up this morning with every intention of jogging...but then i looked outside at the damn snow and decided the stationary bike in the fitness center would do fine.

Kristie said:
yeah here too!
I woke up at 9:30 and it was blizzarding and there was snow on the ground, and I said a bad word and went back to sleep.
The snow melted but it flurried all day.
:sad:

:lol: That's about what Phil did, well, he said the bad word b/c if it rains/snows he can't work and no worky = no money. We had whiteout blizzard coming off the Lake for a long time, it was kinda scary and you couldn't really see. I turned the heat up to 75 and closed all the curtains.

Well, it looks like no Hawaii for Phil and I.

is no Hawaii related to no snow, or is that something else?

and does this mean Phil's unemployed all winter?

Tim's weather radio went off today and said there were waterspouts on the lake up by St. Joe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom