I really HAVE done it! - PERFECT ORDER! (not kidding)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodlem

War Child
I know therer is a thread already discussing track orders. BUT... I dont want this to just be another post in in that thread. The reaso why is because this is THE REAL DEAL!!!

I have been thinking about this since the album first leaked on the internet. The original order was OK but something just was not right. I have solved it.

Please read on and listen to this order with an open heart. I believe in this Tracklist and while I am sure a few will disagree, the majority of people will recognize the brilliance of it.

We all know that the order that songs are placed on an album can completely change the quality of it as a body of work. I believe that since there are 4 (or more) minds that decide these things within U2, that sometimes compromises are made that are detrimental to things such as track order. I feel that may have been the case here. I have now corrected that.

I will now explain my ordering and the logic behind my decisions.

1. Miracle Drug

Let me start by saying that I never liked Vertigo as the opener. Many here may disagree. It just does not represent the album well at all. It is a silly/fun intro to an album that is not silly at all. So my first task was to find a new opener. I thought COBL would be a ggod one but it just is not strong enough intro for the entire album. ABOY suffers from the same problem as Vertigo. It does not represent the entire album well. This was vital for my leadoff track. Suddenly it dawned on me...the album never really feels like it is REALLY beginning until MD starts. Does anyone else feel this way? So MD it is. Great intro reminiscent of BD in some ways.

(to be continued)

Last edited:
2. Crumbs From Your Table

This song is great and does not feel right towards the end of the album. It may not be the best track on the album but THAT IS OK! It rocks well enough and the outro is sublime. I am sick of top heavy albums anyway. Leave some of the best stuff for the second half!

I tend to agree that most U2 albums are top heavy. Actually almost all of them are, except maybe POP and The Joshua Tree (the latter is just perfect the entire way through so I guess that counts too)

3. Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own

Now is where the brilliance begins to become apparent! Just listen to the transition from CFYT to SYCMIOYO! (all of the transitions are great in this list by the way) It just feels SO natural and right! Do you feel it? For the love of everything, TELL ME YOU CAN FEEL THAT THAT IS RIGHT! This song is the "one" or WOWY if this record so naturally it takes the third slot.

why don't you just post the entire running of the album and not one at a time

more interesting this way and you don't have to wait an hour until I finish

but if the masses wish for it then I will type up the whole thing

no, this is definitely not more interesting...it's just annoying.

I do like the tracklist so far though.:wink:

4. City of Blinding Lights

Again, listen to the transition between the last song and this one. It just plain works on so many levels, the most important being the emotional level. This song picks us up after the heartache of "Sometimes" and yet it does not force us anywhere, it just guides us along to a place we now WANT to go. It is a bit rockier but yet still slowish. It kind of serves the same purpose as 'Walk On' on ATYCLB. It just works as number 4.

5. Original of the Species

Now this is getting interesting. The piano outro of COBL becomes the piano intro of OOTS. This is so GREAT! OOTS was ok at the end but even better on the first half. This album will have 2 distinct halves by the way so think of it in terms of first half/second half. U2s best albums always seem to do this.

6. One Step Closer

And so we come to the end of the first half. Love it or hate it as most do, you cannot deny that this song was meant to be at the end of something. (I love this song by the way). And so with it we will close the first half of the album. This song now becomes for HTDAAB, what RTSS is to TJT or what "So Cruel" is to AB, "Drowning Man" to "WAR". You get the idea.

(to be continued)

Last edited:
7. All Because of You

The mellowness is now out of our system and we are sufficiently ready to begin the second half of the album by rocking this house to its foundations. Think of "The Fly" as the beginning of the second half of AB or "Gone" on POP. It is a bit jarring from the quiet OSC but it is just what is needed at this point in the record. ("the fly" is jarring too, and yet perfect)

8. Vertigo

Now, a lot of people like vertigo as an opener and if you are one of them then feel free to switch 7 and 8 as you see fit. It is only required that these two songs be together to make this the ROCK portion of the album. So this song can serve as your opener for the second half of the record if you wish. I am not 100% sure which is better but at this point I am going with ABOY because I love the loud guitar noise at the beginning for a grand announcement that we are about to get rocked.

9. A Man and a Woman

This one seems the wierdest at first but it actually feels quite natural because we are used to it coming right after ABOY on the original album anyway. It reminds me of TTTYAATW coming right after FLY and MW. I thought of using "Fast Cars" as a transition between the rockier stuff and the acooustic AMAAW but you will see that "Fast Cars" works even better later.

I already disagree with most of this

Dont blindly disagree...try it out. Search you feelings. You know it to be true!

(just kidding, but really open you heart and mind to new things for a second)

(JUST LISTEN TO THE TRANSITIONS!)

10. Fast Cars

This song is the one that most people have trouble fitting into the list. I feel that I have solved the problem. It does not feel out of place coming in right after AMAAW. The whole acoustic, slightly foreign sounding thing. This also also gets us in a Middle East frame of mind and is slightly more rockier making for a perfect transition into...wait for it...

11. Love and Peace or Else

With this song in the 11 spot (second to last) it puts it in the company of such songs as "Exit", "Acrobat", "Please", "Dirty Day", "New York". The album needs this at the end. This is a lot of peoples favorite song on the album. Whats better than knowing that your favorite song is still to come. But even if you don't like the song, it still fits the mood at the end.

12. Yahweh

The transition between these last 2 song works so well that it caught me by surprise! It is miles better than the OOTS to Yahweh transition. The intro to Yahweh is too unusual to come immediately after the poppiness of OOTS and I think this may be why many people do not care for Yahweh, simply because you are not in the right frame of mind for it after OOTS. Having just listenned to LAPOE, you are now ready for the awkward beauty that is Yahweh.

So in Review:

1. Miracle Drug
6. One Step Closer
7. All Because of You
8. Vertigo
9. A Man and A Woman
10. Fast Cars
12. Yahweh

Split in Halves

1. Miracle Drug
6. One Step Closer

7. All Because of You
8. Vertigo
9. A Man and A Woman
10. Fast Cars
12. Yahweh

Other Divisions

Classic Beautiful U2 Songs
1. Miracle Drug

The Mellow Classics
6. One Step Closer

The Rockers
7. All Because of You
8. Vertigo

The Different Songs*
9. A Man and A Woman
10. Fast Cars
12. Yahweh

*The "different songs" are all departures in some way for U2 and they actually go together very well for that reason.

Let the comments begin! How full of crap am I? Or am I SO onto something that it just might be BLOWING YOUR MIND!!!

Here´s my tracklisting my friend, try it! :wink: ( I have to say most of it came from your own one ;) )

1- Miracle Drug
2- Crumbs For Your Table
3- Sometimes You Can´t Make It
4- City Of Blinding Lights
5- Original Of The Species
6- All Because Of You
7- Love And Peace Or Else
8- Vertigo
9- A Man And A Woman
10-Fast Cars
11-Mercy ( Bonus Track :wink: )
12-One Step Closer
13-Yahweh

:wave:

Listening in your order right now... I have to agree that Miracle Drug is a good opener. Crumbs sounds good after MD. Will keep you posted. :)

unnamed_streets said:
Listening in your order right now... I have to agree that Miracle Drug is a good opener. Crumbs sounds good after MD. Will keep you posted. :)

I meant Hoodlem's order there. Will try Ponkine's next unless I get sick of listening to the songs.

It's clear you've put a lot of effort into this...and it is interesting, but...and I'm sorry....I think I still prefer mine...

Vertigo
All Because Of You
City Of Blinding Lights
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
A Man And A Woman
Fast Cars
Crumbs From Your Table
Miracle Drug
Original Of The Species
Yahweh
Love And Peace Or Else
One Step Closer

Fast Cars transitioning into Love and Peace is absolutely perfect!!! I think this is my fav moment on your list.

namkcuR said:
It's clear you've put a lot of effort into this...and it is interesting, but...and I'm sorry....I think I still prefer mine...

Vertigo
All Because Of You
City Of Blinding Lights
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
A Man And A Woman
Fast Cars
Crumbs From Your Table
Miracle Drug
Original Of The Species
Yahweh
Love And Peace Or Else
One Step Closer

Yahweh has to finish the album

namkcuR said:

No it doesn't. There is no 'has to' or 'have to' here.

I agree totally. These are all just opinions, we easily forget! But I have to say I like Hoodlem's list a lot. But I'd switch Vertigo and ABOY so that Vertigo opens side 2.

P.S: A Man..Woman, Fast Cars, Love and Peace = perfect transition ever in U2's history. :wink: ..... sorry, got carried away there.

Fast Cars transitioning into Love and Peace is absolutely perfect!!! I think this is my fav moment on your list.

I know, its great huh?

And some people said that Fast Cars wouldnt fit on the album.

P.S: A Man..Woman, Fast Cars, Love and Peace = perfect transition ever in U2's history

Glad you like it.

I honestly have to say that I think this whole list works SO well.

Miracle Drug as opener:

NO WAY IN HELL.

Musically, I see what you're going for. It is VERY similar to Beautiful Day, as you rightfully pointed out.

However, from a lyrical standpoint, U2 (or any other band I can think of) would NOT lead off an album that is about or inspired by a mother caring for her handicapped son. I understand that like One, it was written in general enough terms to be applied to other things, but Bono has been very SPECIFIC in introducing this song by talking about the inspiration.

An opening song should be something more off the cuff like Zoo Station, Discotheque or Vertigo, or something more general in terms of ideas like Streets or Zooropa. What you're proposing is akin to Walk On opening ATYCLB, which is WAY too personal or specific to open an album.

Some people might point out that I Will Follow is about Bono's mother, but for one it's pretty vague lyrically, and it's a damned hard song. It's also their first album. Think of the lyrics in Miracle Drug--"In science and in medicine/I was a stranger you took me in". People popping in this record for the first time aren't ready to hear shit like that!

I appreciate the reasoning behind many of your choices, but I think there is something fundamentally wrong with using MD in the #1 slot.

Am I crazy?

laz

I see what you are saying lazarus. I will admit that my first priority is how do these songs flow musically and not thematically. Personally, that is more important to me.
I feel that Miracle Drug gets you right into what this album is all about, moreso than Virtigo. And musically it is just a great opener. It really became the only choice after pondering it for weeks. In a way it would be a very brave move to put it first on the album.

People popping in this record for the first time aren't ready to hear shit like that!

Were you ready when you first popped it in? I sure was.

Last edited:
Well thought out Hoodlem. I enjoyed reading your reasoning for it. I'm also thinking about Vertigo as the opener for Side B. How about Xanax instead of Fast Cars? Why didn't you include Mercy?

P.S. Lazarus I'm interested in hearing about your track order.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom