I Have Heard The Album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did not ask too many questions, because I want to stay on his good side for buisness reasons. But let me say he played me about 2 minutes of each song, (which you could say is actually NOT hearing the whole record of course).
But comparing with the WM clips.....wow.

Just wondering...

...why did he play you only 1-2 minutes of each song? Was it because he could have gotten in trouble for playing more? Were you short on time? I almost think that if it were me I almost wouldn't want to hear long snippets of the music. I'd want to hear the whole thing. Just seems like the biggest case of musical blue balls in the history of music. Its like he played "just the tip" with your ears. :wink:

Either way, good for you. I can't wait to hear the entire album soon.

Just wondering...

...why did he play you only 1-2 minutes of each song? Was it because he could have gotten in trouble for playing more? Were you short on time? I almost think that if it were me I almost wouldn't want to hear long snippets of the music. I'd want to hear the whole thing. Just seems like the biggest case of musical blue balls in the history of music. Its like he played "just the tip" with your ears. :wink:

Either way, good for you. I can't wait to hear the entire album soon.

imagine: JOFO received a call from his friend. he told him "mate, do you wanna hear the new U2 album before all of your virtual friends have a chance to?"
he responded that he would die for. 60 minutes later. the listening session started. but his friend meant "i only can play 2 minutes maximum each song. because the CD got a microchip innit with a sensor and there is an embargo til monday. so if i play it too long, the FBI (or just the record company executives) got an alert and a few minutes later they will show up and put us in jail for lifetime. but if you say you will take the risk, than it´s ok for me"

and we all know what happened next. so JOFO...how was the car chase? have both of you escaped before they catch you? ok. it seems so. except you´ve written this post from prison media center. dunno. :laugh: *joking*;)

cool story JOFO! it looks like you have enough questions thrown at you, so i won't bombard you anymore. :)

I'm pretty jealous. Nice one JOFO.

Every time I hear a story like this (evidence of the album being "out there"), it makes me think we are closer to a leak :drool:

I'm pretty jealous. Nice one JOFO.

Every time I hear a story like this (evidence of the album being "out there"), it makes me think we are closer to a leak :drool:

Do you believe in Father Christmas....:lol::D:lol:

Where is the real proof that he really heard the album?:|:scratch::hmm:

Re: that riff from youtube: I believe is in the 2nd part of Fez.

The album will leak any day now; there seems to be too many loose copies around at this point.

Some other details:

We met at The Studio where they recorded in NY. He works there. We hung around for 20 minutes before leaving to go to dinner, and that's when he laid it on me. The CD he had was a blank CD with "U2 Master" written in red marker, so it was not the actual album package.

You cannot compare the sound from a 30 second clip on a computer to the hugeness blaring from professional studio monitors.

He went from tune to tune knowing I wanted to hear the whole thing, but I wasn't going to press him; as I say we only had 20 minutes to kill before we had to vacate the room. He did not take the CD with him.

Like most studio engineers, he's more interested in the production than the actual songs, so he would be talking over some parts, liking some things and questioning others....during the bird chirping on UC he was like "What's that all about?"

I mean, when he stopped it I wasn't dissappointed or whatever, since it'll be out in 2 weeks anyway, and I got the feelings it will probably leak soon. After that we went down for dinner at Mario Batali's place and met with a couple of friends of his. We did not speak about the album after that.

BTW, martinis and too much chianti= hangover, which is what's happening right now....:huh:

Do you believe in Father Christmas....:lol::D:lol:

Where is the real proof that he really heard the album?:|:scratch::hmm:

He could just as easily bullshit his way to making us believe he heard the whole album, which I could do in about 10 minutes based on the dozens of reviews, 45 second clips, and beach clips. But because he didn't do that, I find it quite believable. Why the hell would someone say they only heard 1-2 minutes of each song if it weren't true? Plus he's a long-time regular who wouldn't jeopardize his entire forum reputation by pulling a cheap stunt.

Tell me who's being rational now, eh. Doubting Thomas.

Some guy stopped the album before you could hear a guitar solo? Was this guy a jerk perchance? :lol:

He's not the best of folk, to be honest, but I want his connections.

Re: I have no proof at all of my story. Sorry if some find it hard to believe.

He's not the best of folk, to be honest, but I want his connections.

Re: I have no proof at all of my story. Sorry if some find it hard to believe.

JOFO, I think most of us believe you. You described GOYB before we heard it. Thanks for the story and drink some Gatorade & water to get rid of that hangover.

the whole "he only let me listen to two minutes" thing is a bit sketchy.

As I say, we had 20 minutes to kill; I had no idea he had the album, and we were sitting in one control room while he was doing some stuff, and I was reading a magazine, when he looked at me with a mischievious grin and said "Want to hear the U2 album"?

He knows I'm a huge fan and I said "HELL YEAH"....

I knew he wasn't going to play each song all the way through; 2 minutes into NLOTH he said "That's that one; kind of Peter Gabriel huh?" and then pressed forward to Magnificent, and so on.

Re: that riff from youtube: I believe is in the 2nd part of Fez.

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

Okay this will easily be my favourite U2 album since Pop if that riff is on there. I've been listening to the 45 second clips + boots in my car's cd player over the last few days and I'm loving what I hear, and it doesn't even include the best parts of MOS, Unknown Caller or Fez

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

Okay this will easily be my favourite U2 album since Pop if that riff is on there. I've been listening to the 45 second clips + boots in my car's cd player over the last few days and I'm loving what I hear, and it doesn't even include the best parts of MOS, Unknown Caller or Fez

so i wonder how that riff works its way into the song. JOFO, is it over the electronic part right after that weird noise in the 30 second clip?

Was it as "adventurous" and "out there" as has been reported?

How did hearing more change your opinions of it?

I feel it's a song record, but has more adventurous production.
I think the quote from Edge, when he said it's a record of two halfs, sums it up best.
When he first said that I was like "Oh no, it's a mess"..
but it actually seems to work really well.
I feel this one has more of the continuity of AB than the song to song of the last 2.

and then

also

is a little to much that u heard more than anybody else i could write ur review as well from listening to the 45 sec. and 2 complete songs of NOLTH and Boots.

so no real proove that u really heard the album.

Fez would be the proof song....but u heard nothing than anybody else so....in result u didn´t heard it.....sorry can´t believe u:down:

I heard 2 minutes of each song except Cedars, which was not even 30 seconds, as he abruptly stopped it and pulled the CD out.

Back
Top Bottom