hutch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
everyone knows that GONE was for micheal hutchence, but i seem to recall that bono revealed at somepoint that there is a trio of songs on POP about micheal. i am 99% sure he said they were Gone, Staring at the sun, and Discotheque.

has anyone else heard this too?

Interesting. Makes ya wonder if "BOOM CHA!!" was something Bono and Hutch yelled out while going to pubs. :shrug:

It could('ve) happen!(ened) ;)

marik said:
everyone knows that GONE was for micheal hutchence, but i seem to recall that bono revealed at somepoint that there is a trio of songs on POP about micheal. i am 99% sure he said they were Gone, Staring at the sun, and Discotheque.

has anyone else heard this too?

I've never heard this, does anyone have a link to an article?

I never heard this either. I didn't know Gone was recorded for Michael, since it was written while he was alive.

Yeah, how could any Pop songs be about Hutchence seeing he was still alive when the album was recorded? Stuck was for him, though ...

I don't think Discotheque would be a song that could be inspired by someone's downward spiral. Unless the downward spiral involved becoming addicted to dancing.

well... ...IMHO Gone was very autobiographical. Then, after Hutchens's death, Bono related it to him.

About Disco and downward spiral... ..."the lovie-dovie stuff" is not exactly a glass of water!

P.S. in 1999-2000 I remember someone in these Forum who claimed (and got banned) to have assisted (during the Pop dates in Australia) to coke assumption by band members in a club in Sydney.
I think that the post was fake... ...Does anyone remembers that story correctly?

IMO i'm certain that Bono wrote Gone about his own life...one of his best lyrics ever too...I'm sure it's about himself.

Stuck is the song about Michael Hutchense. Bono has said so himself.

guess what: "change your name" is about fame. bono is famous yes, but so is michael, and a thousand other people he knows. it could be inspired by many not just one.

Or, because Bono sings "I'll be up with the sun...." and with the song called "Gone," - it could be perhaps about someone who is escaping their life and a bad situation who might have "changed their name."

:shrug:

to straighten things out a little, i'm not saying the the trio of songs were written ALL about michael in advance of his death. perhaps some are that we don't even know about, and perhaps some we think are about him, aren't. what i'm saying is that i heard bono make a comment after the death that those trio of songs are about him. kinda like in a little while is now about joey ramone as told by bono during elevation. or kite about his father. neither of those songs were written about those subjects specifically, but now thats what they mean to bono when he sings them.

marik said:
guess what: "change your name" is about fame. bono is famous yes, but so is michael, and a thousand other people he knows. it could be inspired by many not just one.

you're right... everyone else in here is wrong. and the fact that bono uses the words "I" "I'll" and "I'm" numerous times throughout the song are also meaningless.

all the people who wrote on this site are also wrong
http://hem.bredband.net/steverud/U2MoL/Pop/gone.html

and this other no name guy who said this...

Hahaha. You've done your research. This is true and maybe that is because I never felt any attachment with things. I used to eat Larry's lunch and sleep in Edge's house. Even when I had no money, I always felt rich. Obviously in this song I am talking about the past. You know people complain about being rock & roll stars, you hear them all the time these spoiled pop-stars, how hard it is. From the moment Larry asked me to be in this band it's just been a big adventure and when "Gone" was written I felt like it was almost the last song ever for us. But that was what I was feeling that day. What I wanted to say, it was fantastic, I loved all of this, even the bullshit, I enjoyed it all, so I could loose that too.
-Bono, MAX Magazine, 1997

...he's wrong too.

[/sarcasm]

well said, my man ;)

The lyrics for Gone are some of Bono's most moving and intelligent lyrics he has ever written. And it's definitely about himself...

it can be about anything. for example, i listened to it after my pet goldfish died.

michael was famous as well, and everything in that song he probably was going through as well. if this is not the case, then why does bono now dedicate a song about himself to hutch?

Because of the title Gone?
I know he dedicated Gone to Herman Brood when they played in the Netherlands (on the Elevation Tour). Or at least, he screamed out 'Herman Brood' at the start of the song (like the 'Hutch' scream in other cities).

:shrug:

mikal said:
it can be about anything. for example, i listened to it after my pet goldfish died.

i think that's the cool thing about music, like any other art form. you can relate it to whatever you like, and the song or book or painting takes on a special, personal meaning.

it's fun to speculate and find out what a song is really about, but i don't think we should be too hung over about it.

cheers.

HelloAngel said:

I thought that was about Jesus? :confused:
But with long hair, didn't Hutchence resemble what Jesus would look like if he shaved his beard? So therefore, its obvious that Bono said "Jesus" but meant "Michael Hutchence". The references to Hutchence's father are clear in this song as well, he did build the world you know, and he is currently in charge of heaven.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom