How many more albums and tours can we expect? or hope for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmb737

Refugee
Just having a hard conversation with my fiance, who I met @ the 2nd Phoenix Elevation show, about how many more albums U2 will be putting out. I suspect that this new one may be their last, and if not...perhaps their second to last.

Perhaps this subject matter has been well documented, but I am curious how many MORE times will we find ourselves in the current situation that we are in now...waiting for a new album?

When all is said and done, I can see the Edge producing boy bands, Bono will be mayor of Queens, Adam will have a cable access gardening show, and Larry will never be heard from again.

Seriously though, its almost as scary as our parents dying. Is that bad? Any thoughts?

I can definitely see another album, probably two, and one more Best Of.

Well I don't know what their contract says but I have a feeling this decade will be the last one. 2 more albums/tours (maybe 3 if they'll do a Zooropa kind of thing again) and a third Best of.

Yeah I'm with the crowd on the 3-4 thing...I do think they need to put out one more Best Of (isn't that in their Island contract?), so that's a guarantee at least.

Of course we'll also get the requisite tour DVD's and Sydney ZooTV and Mexico PopMart on DVD too.

(Elaborating on my earlier comment, which was done in the few seconds I had before I had to jump offline)

Yeah, the contract was for three Best Ofs, so we obviously have one left. What does that imply? Well, I would believe they'll take Walk on and Elevation from ATYCLB, but that still leaves at least twelve songs. Let's assume that they'll do fifteen tracks.

1. Walk On
2. Elevation
3. New Song
4-15. ?
They are NOT all going to come from one album. We need at least two albums to fill that space, and I am really hoping for a third, which is possible, though I don't think probable. I can see two more albums and tours (including the upcoming one), and I'm hoping for something Zooropa-style. They will also do a farewell tour, and whether they'll have another album for that or not, I don't know.

HOWEVER, one thing we've got to consider and remember is that U2 loves performing live. So as long as Bono's voice and Larry's wrists don't give up on them, how long do you think they'll last? I could see them hanging around for a good while if they can stay in the physical condition to do so. They can obviously juggle family life with their career and Bono's activities outside the band, and they're a close bunch of guys so I can't exactly see them splitting up. So will U2 keep on performing as long as they can perform to the standard they hold themselves to? I think so.

And honestly, if they do ever decide to retire, I don't think Bono's going to fade away from the spotlight, and I'd bet anything that Edge will keep on doing solo activities.

They will still be performing in years to come...except it will be in old people homes where they are living.... sunday afternoon gigs then a nap... then time for medication when matron does her rounds...imagine the bingo sessions! lol

seriously hope they are still gonna go on for quite a few years yet!

I'd hope for (and my best guess would be):

2004 - New album & start of tour
2005 - Continue/complete tour & induction into R&R Hall of Fame
2006 - Win a bunch of Grammy's for the 2004 album :)
2007 - nothing
2008 - nothing
2009 - New album & start of final tour
2010 - Continue/complete final tour
2011 - Best of 2000 - 2010
End of "official" career

And who knows? Maybe a few years later they pull everyone together for a reunion concert or EP or something like that...

2010 is their last year, so maybe 2/2 plus last farewell tour

I'm starting this year to gather money to go to Dublin for the Last Last Last :sad: Show

I'm also going for 2-3 more tours/albums. I certainly don't want them performing when they're as old as the Stones!

That still leaves 8-9 yrs so let's make the best of it!!

what a bomb! said:
They will still be performing in years to come...except it will be in old people homes where they are living.... sunday afternoon gigs then a nap... then time for medication when matron does her rounds...imagine the bingo sessions! lol

LOL! I want to retire there! :laugh:

I think they've got the rest of the decade left in them. After that, who knows?

bono_man2002 said:
my firend told me 2-3 albums or 7 years which ever comes first....
and i agree

7 years will obvious come before 2 albums. Ugh.

2 albums/tours is all I expect. Sad, isn't it?

The_acrobat said:
2 albums/tours is all I expect. Sad, isn't it?

Not really. The 90's only gave us 3 U2 albums - and we were lucky with Zooropa - I mean it was an "accident" that it even became a full-length album. Achtung Baby and Pop were the only other planned out albums of that decade.

We've already got ATYCLB from the current decade, so two more is aggressive by U2's pace over the past 15 years.

bayernfc said:
I certainly don't want them performing when they're as old as the Stones!

If they want to I would want them to keep perfoming into their 80s. No disrespect o Mick, Keith, Ron and Charlie but I feel like they have been skating on triumphs from the past (although I have always liked "Love is Strong" from voodoo lounge)

I think U2 will go on as long as they want to not as long as we hope they will/ expect they will/predict they will.

As Alan Light said in the 1/02 Spin U2 is in truly uncharted territory so at thispoint in the rule book the pages are blank they canmake it up for themselves.

pepokiss said:
I'm starting this year to gather money to go to Dublin for the Last Last Last :sad: Show

YES! I wonder how many people from the states will also be at the Final show in Dublin. You can count me in for sure... Anyone else saving their dollars?

Zoocoustic said:
I'd hope for (and my best guess would be):

2004 - New album & start of tour
2005 - Continue/complete tour & induction into R&R Hall of Fame
2006 - Win a bunch of Grammy's for the 2004 album :)
2007 - nothing
2008 - nothing
2009 - New album & start of final tour
2010 - Continue/complete final tour
2011 - Best of 2000 - 2010
End of "official" career

And who knows? Maybe a few years later they pull everyone together for a reunion concert or EP or something like that...

I'll go with this as well. :).

Let's see...2010, 2011...I'll be 26, 27 years old then...so depending on what kind of job I have, and how much money I make, if I can manage to go to Dublin for the very last show U2 will ever do, will I go?

Hell, yeah! :yes:.

Angela

The more I think about it, the more confident I am U2 will be around for a while yet. These guys love performing, and as long as they're still making msuic up to their standards - which we know are high - they'll keep playing.

U2's not going away yet, folks.

The next album is practically in the bag.....so I'd expect two more.....as for the next Best Of, we can expect "Kite" to also join "Walk On" and "Elevation".....

Next Best Of:

1-3. Tracks from ATYCLB
4-6. Tracks from Next Album
7-9. Tracks from album number two
10-12. tracks from album number three
13-14. two new tracks

If one of the albums is really strong, four tracks from that.......could also fill up a space for a weaker album that may be represented by only two songs.....

Last edited:
Let's hope they start pulling a Springsteen and doing 3 week stands in Dublin and Earl's Court...

2004-release Eleventh studio album
2004/2005-touring to support that album
2006-off
2007-begin work on Twelfth studio album
2008-fall release of Twelfth studio album
2009-tour to support that album
2010-3rd best of (2001-2010)

that's all I can expect.

After that, I think Bono will make solo records with all 3 of the boys contributing but they won't release them as U2, seeing that they leave their legacy complete in a 30 year period which saw the band conquer the world 3 different times. I can see Edge doing solo work, perhaps scoring more films, maybe even release an album that he sings on every song, and that to, I'd expect the other 3 to contribute.

I see U2 wanting to keep a sense of vitality and energy to their music and live shows, and when they are all in their 50's (2011) I could see them finally calling it a day as U2, but still making music. Just not calling it U2.

Bono and the Edge have stated they do not plan to continue the band past age 60. The band is now 42 and 43. They will probably continue as a band into their late 50s based on what Bono and Edge have said.

March 2004 11th album
November 2007 12th album
June 2011 13th album
February 2015 14th album
October 2018 15th album

Last tour in 2019. Band finishes before anyone in the band turns 60.

But who knows, the band may continue anyways and laugh at what they said 20 years ago.

If I recall correctly, they signed a six album deal shortly before either Pop or ATYCLB. So we can expect at least 4 more albums, with a tour probably supporting each one.

Considering the usual three year album/tour/break cycle, they should be around for another 12 years or so. But hey, contracts usually aint worth the paper their written on, so keep them fingers crossed!

The three album greatest hits deal was for (believe it or not) 80-90, 80-90 + B-sides (they were considered to be two separate releases) plus 90-2000.

I agree though, we'll get another greatest hits at the turn of the century as long as there's enough good material (consdeing the lukewarm success of the last one). And probably a 'definitive' collection of all their work at the end of their current contract.

I'm hoping they also do a Best Of Live U2. That would be incredibly good.

STING2 said:
Bono and the Edge have stated they do not plan to continue the band past age 60. The band is now 42 and 43. They will probably continue as a band into their late 50s based on what Bono and Edge have said.

March 2004 11th album
November 2007 12th album
June 2011 13th album
February 2015 14th album
October 2018 15th album

Last tour in 2019. Band finishes before anyone in the band turns 60.

But who knows, the band may continue anyways and laugh at what they said 20 years ago.

Wow...2018...still so far away...

But hey, if that's the case-cool, almost 20 more years of the band. :D.

Angela

Egads, that is a long time for a band. Consider that the Beatles had an eight-year career. We are incredibly lucky to still have them around in 2004. Bono has been quoted as saying no, the band will not be around when they're in their sixties. So........

what a bomb! said:
heres to 2013 when I could celebrate my 30th anniversary as a U2 fan! (reading that back has just scared me!) :shocked: :faint:

I'll raise my glass with you, for it will also be my 30th anniversary, too. (and I was just as scared when I read it! CHEERS!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom