Homeland - on Showtime - best new series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course I'm going to withhold judgement on a whole season until after that season ends, but, I've rarely seen a show go from such consistent excellence to such depths, if ever. I cannot even begin to list off all of the ridiculous plot points, character behaviors, decisions, etc, without committing about 30 minutes of my time. Really, really disappointing. What makes it doubly frustrating is that every episode still has little gems, like the aforementioned Roya interrogation. I am far from wanting to abandon ship because the good episodes trounce the bad, but, I'll be wary heading into Season 3, let's just say that.

I am 99% convinced that we'll find out next week that Brody is still a terrorist, that he has been in cahoots with Nazir all along, that all his hysterics have been when he knew the CIA was listening in on him. Not saying I like this, or not, but, I don't see any other endgame. We shall see.

I think based on what he said to Walden at the end says a lot about where Brody is. He could have said 'sorry, I'm doing this to save Carrie', but he didn't

I hope Roya rots in a holding cell.

I think we may finally find out who the other bad guy within the CIA is.

And there's the possible spoiler pic I posted a couple of pages ago...

Thank you to the delightful poster above me for finding a reliable stream I didn't have to give up on. :)

the writing went from terrible, to the most silly and ridiculous possible,

this is even worse than the falloff in writing on The Killing

Brody didn't kill his wife and kids!

You lie!

Well, I liked the boom. First as a way of provoking the series beyond what I thought would had to have been Brody's death, and by the wonderful elegance of the confessional finally being released....at the wrong time.

We still have to live with the weak last few episodes, but I'm pretty happy going forward.

Every plot turn of season 2 was still more believable than every plot turn of every season of 24, and every second of a movie like The Hurt Locker.

Well, I liked the boom. First as a way of provoking the series beyond what I thought would had to have been Brody's death, and by the wonderful elegance of the confessional finally being released....at the wrong time.

We still have to live with the weak last few episodes, but I'm pretty happy going forward.

:up: I liked it. (Especially after the dreadful Dexter finale!) But I thought they did a fine job of giving the show some hope for another season.

So is Homeland another Heroes (outstanding first season, followed by a precipitous drop in quality in Season 2)?

I just finished the end of Season 1 on DVD last night. I probably won't try to see Season 2 until it comes out on DVD, and based on what I've heard, I'm not sure if I'll bother or not.

I couldn't even make it through season 2 of Heroes.

I'd say there were some ... questionable plot turns, but nowhere near the level of drop in quality. I'd even say Revenge had a bigger decline this season than Homeland did.

I think it's still excellent TV.

It is not that bad, worth the time. There is a little debate on how well season two ends and is positioned for season 3.
If you liked season one, you won't hate season 2.

So is Homeland another Heroes (outstanding first season, followed by a precipitous drop in quality in Season 2)?

I just finished the end of Season 1 on DVD last night. I probably won't try to see Season 2 until it comes out on DVD, and based on what I've heard, I'm not sure if I'll bother or not.

No comparison. First of all, Season 1 of Heroes wishes it was Season 1 of Homeland, and I enjoyed S1 of Heroes.

S2 of Homeland has a great beginning and in the middle comes, arguably, the best episode of the show, ever....and then it drops quite a bit....that said, even with the drop, each episode still delivered quality moments....and you can debate the last episode, of course, but I thought it was actually well done, very well done, and it does set season 3 up quite nicely. In fact, I thought the last episode had the single most dramatic shot of the entire show's run. So, in my opinion, you should keep keeping on, this aint no Heroes. Not even just for one day.

Please spoiler-share what you thought the best episode, and that most dramatic shot. Would love to hear!

I alluded to this before, but it seems relevant- how Season 1 wrapped up with Carrie in treatment was itself a contained story in a way, and you could certainly stop there if you're nervous about wasting time. And the start of Season 2 undoes some of the pathos of what happened to Carrie, a bit, yet on the positive side expands the scope to really consider Carrie and Brody as damaged people trapped in each other's orbit, which culminates in the great ep I suspect NSW is referring to.

Now you also know from Season 1 how the show can power-blast through various premises, and one of the big problems a lot of people have mentioned is that one of the choices the writers made was just a dismal scenario in the last few episodes. And it stunk, but the last episode of the season showed the durability of the show in that they moved on to reset the playing board and move some of the characters around in a really great way for potential going forward. This suggests to me at least that it's not like the creators are crazy and driving the show off a ditch. They're aware enough to react and keep things fresh, so I would suggest watching and just steeling upfront for a lull in the backhalf.

No comparison. First of all, Season 1 of Heroes wishes it was Season 1 of Homeland, and I enjoyed S1 of Heroes.

S2 of Homeland has a great beginning and in the middle comes, arguably, the best episode of the show, ever....and then it drops quite a bit....that said, even with the drop, each episode still delivered quality moments....and you can debate the last episode, of course, but I thought it was actually well done, very well done, and it does set season 3 up quite nicely. In fact, I thought the last episode had the single most dramatic shot of the entire show's run. So, in my opinion, you should keep keeping on, this aint no Heroes. Not even just for one day.

Please spoiler-share what you thought the best episode, and that most dramatic shot. Would love to hear!

I'm curious, too, because I'm blanking out on what it could be.

I think S2 is definitely worth watching and agree with others that despite some questionable turns and character decisions it's still so much better than most of what's on TV, and I never got bored with it for a second.

I'll continue to watch on DVD because I only had Showtime as some free package perk which has now expired and I just don't need to be paying for this much TV. Nobody's touching my HBO, though.

Just chiming in with another stick with it! :up: And yeah Heroes went down the garbage chute faster and harder than I've ever seen a show fall, I think.

NSW!

So glad to read your post because I also thought the finale was very well done and was almost...elegant?

Back
Top Bottom