Happy 3rd Birthday, Bomb!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrPryck2U

ONE love, blood, life
Today is How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb's 3rd birthday in the US. City of Blinding Lights is my favorite song from this album. I can't believe it's been 3 years already.

I still likes it. Songs like "City" kicked the crap out of everything out there, underground or above. Album as a whole really peters out near the end after countless listens....still loves me some "Yahweh" but it's hard to think the same band that wrote "Fast Cars"/"A Man And A Woman"/"One Step Closer"/"Crumbs From Your Table" also wrote "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own"

Only thing that's changed for me greatly is "Love And Peace Or Else"....killer live highlight came from a studio track that initially bored me but has a LOT of Eno goodness upon closer inspection.

"Window" scared me. Let's hope for better from the next album. :|

I love it. Some songs grew so much on me after hearing the live versions. COBL live gives me goosebumps. OOTS and Miracle Drug are my favourite songs. Sometimes still makes me shiver, so much emotion, so personal from Bono. Great, personal album, a shame it gets so much bashing.

Happy birthday!

I think it was a decent album.
Excellent songs: CoBL (I love CoBL!), Yahweh, OoTS
Decent: Vertigo (MUCH better as Native Son!), A Man and a Woman, All Because of You
Okay, but not up to U2's standards: Fast Cars (The Latin stuff, while being a cool concept, sounded forced. It was much better as Xanax and Wine), Crumbs (forced, over-produced), Sometimes You Can't Make it (I'm serious. It was way too forced for my liking).

The original demos were better, IMO, because they really captured what the band wanted to do with this album, before they decided that they just wanted to make a lot of money from it.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
digitize said:

The original demos were better, IMO, because they really captured what the band wanted to do with this album, before they decided that they just wanted to make a lot of money from it.

Just my $0.02.

Lol. Just my £0.02.

Me, too. Listening to it the other day reminded me of how good it is. Between ATYCLB and this album, I'd go with the latter as my favorite from the band's '00s output.

I remember the night before the album was released, a radio station in a nearby town took an hour and previewed the entire CD :D. I taped that, and still went out and brought the CD the next day, heh.

I still have that tape somewhere. Hm...should look for it.

Angela

i love: my favourite is Miracle drug (it was a great song for single...), then City, Sometimes and Original of the species (single mix)....these are beautiful songs!

The first time I bought a U2 album even though I had downloaded it already. I miss the pre-internet days when you had to wait until a CD was released to hear it. I wish I had the will power to stay away from internet leaks....

The album is both really good at times (Vertigo, ABOY, Love and Peace, COBL, Sometimes) and really bad at times (everything else). I really liked some of the demos though, as rough as they sound.

Back
Top Bottom