Give us your rating of the album:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate the Album

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do not see myself going above 8.5, as I don't identify anything that goes above my intellect. Yet.
If there is something, I will write it down and treasure it forever.

For the record itself, including mastering, it's a 6-7.

Overall, it has the potential of being a 7-8(.something)

Really, people? Do I have to be the one to say it? It's not good. That one song is like the stillborn baby of "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "City of Blinding Lights". Not sure you could find a collection of more mid-tempo, generic songs anywhere. Yes, I'm the harsh, older, jaded fan. But let's face it--only the rah-rahs post on here, so I'm sure I speak for many silent others. But truthfully, a lot of us probably gave up on them long ago, and don't even listen anymore, much less post on message boards. But I'll always check out a new release by them. But nah, this album is bad.

Also, is The Edge still with the band?

Really, people? Do I have to be the one to say it? It's not good. That one song is like the stillborn baby of "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "City of Blinding Lights". Not sure you could find a collection of more mid-tempo, generic songs anywhere. Yes, I'm the harsh, older, jaded fan. But let's face it--only the rah-rahs post on here, so I'm sure I speak for many silent others. But truthfully, a lot of us probably gave up on them long ago, and don't even listen anymore, much less post on message boards. But I'll always check out a new release by them. But nah, this album is bad.

This post reads like one of my stories. Usually someone ends up drunk, dead, or missing vital organs.

tumblr_lkydq6jbW71qahofy.gif

This post reads like one of my stories. Usually someone ends up drunk, dead, or missing vital organs.

Well, now we know what happened to the Edge on this record.

Tim Cook sold his organs and left him in a tub of ice with a note. :sad:

(Where else do you think they got that $100 million? An Edge lung goes for at least $50 million.)

Goofy? Wasn't going for that. Right back at you though: What are you hearing, guitar-wise, that I'm not? Totally serious about that. Went searching for a riff, an interesting reverb, an echo, ya know--The Edge. Couldn't find one. At least not one that didn't float away like a dandelion in a gentle wind. Seriously, you hear a crank-it-up, catchy, riff in there? Like "Pride","I Will Follow", Until the End of the World" catchy? Please, enlighten ME.

Oh, and that stillborn baby song is called "Iris".

(I had actually edited my post to leave out the goofy bit, but I'll respond anyway)

I just think it's goofy to say you don't hear Edge. If you meant you're underwhelmed by what you're hearing from Edge, then fine. But considering we had someone say "where's Adam" on this record (I think it might have been a reviewer in some publication, actually), I just thought this was another one of those situations where you wonder if the listener's headphones were plugged in all the way or what.

I like the guitar sounds on a lot of the songs. I like the crunchy sounds in Miracle, I like the brief solos in Sleep Like a Baby Tonight and The Troubles (even though the solo is way too short). :shrug:

You're certainly not the only one to not like the album, but when you come in here all "really people do I have to be the one to say it it's not good" you can't be surprised when people roll their eyes, like "oh, thank god you're here to finally tell us that we're all wrong."

You know? Yeah, you know. :)

This is clearly Bono's album...his vocals are more pronounced and mixed in front than any other U2 album I can think of.

That said, I can definitely hear the Edge, no question. He has some great moments on this thing. And Adam is there as well.

On the other hand, if someone said Larry is sort of MIA on this one, I could kinda see the point.

RobH, this was the free version. If you want to actually hear The Edge you have to purchase the CD version on October 13th.

And it's the Deluxe if you want Larry.

I hear ya, Corrie. You and I actually go a ways back on here and you're a fine soul. But it's funny---no one ever seems to question anyone who comes on here and says " (Fill in the blank with how awesome the new album/song) " Somehow, those people aren't being preachy. I guess it's because it's the choir who responds. But I don't mind the heat. Maybe somebody could tell me what I'm missing.

Eh, you don't like it. What are you gonna do, you know? Sorry you don't like it - that's a bummer. Maybe it'll grow on you. Or hey, maybe you'll like Songs of Experience more when that one comes out. :)

I probably should have let it go, sorry about that. Had this been a normal night, I wouldn't have even seen it until tomorrow and would have been skimming.

But tonight I'm killing time staying up later than normal, waiting to meet some friends to go try and see if we can see the northern lights. Boredom leads to snark. ;)

6 at most. Been avoiding this place to get used to the album, after three days of non stop listening, I put my ipod back to shuffle. Like 2 tracks a lot, 3 others are okay, rest gets a giant meh response from my brain.

Figures it was bound to happen that I'd like it less than NLOTH, as that still is one of my favourite albums sofar, but I didn't expect myself to like it this little. Ah well, shite happens. Hope the next one is better.

This is clearly Bono's album...his vocals are more pronounced and mixed in front than any other U2 album I can think of.

That said, I can definitely hear the Edge, no question. He has some great moments on this thing. And Adam is there as well.

On the other hand, if someone said Larry is sort of MIA on this one, I could kinda see the point.

And it's the Deluxe if you want Larry.

At various points over the last few days i've found myself thinking it's bono's album, Adam's album or Edge's album. Never Larry's though.

But with Edge now credited as co-lyricist on every song I think i'd have to give it to him.

So this album has the scent of a stillborn baby's head?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Ok guys- it takes a lot to offend me, and I get that it's just the internet and worse things are said and all that, but can we lay off the stillborn baby jokes? I'm not trying to start anything, really, but if you or anyone close to you has gone through that, it's unbelievably, tragically painful. A snide offhand comment like that can bring back a lot of that pain.

No hard feelings. Enjoy your day. Peace.

The Miracle, Every Breaking Wave, California, Song For Someone, Iris, Raised By Wolves and The Troubles are the best tunes on the LP. The rest are B sides.

Really, people? Do I have to be the one to say it? It's not good. That one song is like a very tame mix of "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "City of Blinding Lights". Not sure you could find a collection of more mid-tempo, generic songs anywhere. Yes, I'm the harsh, older, jaded fan. But let's face it--only the rah-rahs post on here, so I'm sure I speak for many silent others. But truthfully, a lot of us probably gave up on them long ago, and don't even listen anymore, much less post on message boards. But I'll always check out a new release by them. But nah, this album is bad.

Edited.

You're right about the insensitivity. I will go back and edit my original post. My apologies.

Back
Top Bottom