Giants Stadium 2 ! Set List Party 9/24/09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By the way, for anyone just tuning in, you missed a super-extended version of Stay tonight!

:lol:

It was so good Bono purposely sang it wrong because he wanted it to .... Stay.

Btw, did he make any comments on Muse? He has always commented on the support acts, would like to know what he said.

:lol:

It was so good Bono purposely sang it wrong because he wanted it to .... Stay.

Btw, did he make any comments on Muse? He has always commented on the support acts, would like to know what he said.

"we messed with their soundsystem to make us look better?"

That bothered me too. When you've gotta go, you've gotta go, but so many people leaving at the same time....especially during the sheer gorgeousness of Unknown Caller...is odd. And I couldn't help but wonder how the band felt when they saw so empty seats during MOS. This band is trying to make vital, memorable new music, but it seems like much of their audience just wants to hear the tried and true tunes that have been played on the radio a bazillion times. Either that, or they were trying to beat what turned out to be pretty bad traffic.

One aspect of the show I loved, and didn't mention above, is that seeing a U2 show appears to be a family outing! There were several families with young kids in tow, which I think is terrific--the kids are getting a fantastic musical education!!! THAT'S what I call smart parenting.

You know, I was guilty of these exact two things last night. Unknown Caller and Moment Of Surrender are the only tunes on the new record that really drag for me so they were positioned perfectly in the set for a bathroom break and head start on beating the traffic out of the stadium. At 11:15 saving 2 hours getting out of the parking lot was a worthy trade off for Moment Of Surrender. We were out of the gates about 15 minutes after With Or Without You. I get it though, they're trying to make vital new music and they ARE. I love the new record and was psyched to hear those tunes live. For real. If the show was at MSG I would have stayed for sure.

That said, weird tour to choose to take outside. All That You Can't Leave Behind and Atomic Bomb were much better suited to the big stadiums, No Line On The Horizon would play WAY better indoors. Just my opinion. Breathe and Boots were a great opening pair, the others sounded really good, just kind of evaporated into the sky. At least from where I was sitting. I don't dislike the Crazy Tonight remix, just bummed to not hear the original tune. It's strange they'd mess with that one, I can imagine the album version really working to a huge crowd.

Hearing Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet made my night. I knew they were coming, but was still out of my mind when they started up. Those two are a BIG gift to the old fans this tour. Pulling the kid up onstage for City Of Blinding Lights was a great moment. The song sounded great too. I'm all set with Elevation and Vertigo, would have loved to hear some more songs from the 80's or early 90's instead, but there are lots of latter day U2 fans there really digging them, I get it. Can't please everyone. Would love a full band version of Stay at some point, hands down my favorite U2 song, but I don't think it's necessarily improved as a sparse acoustic duet.

Small gripes though, I loved the show. Enjoyed it much more than the last tour. There's not another band that can make a place that huge come together quite like that. What a stage!

1. Bono literally looked at the Sound Mix Booth and asked them to restart his teleprompter during Stay. Twice.

2. The first night Bono said Muse was #1 on iTunes in 21 countries right now and that they were great (in many more words...)

Crowd was NOT feelin some of the new songs...I liked them, I appericated them playin the new tracks...but they were not the highlights of the show...

Be thankful you didn't get stuck with Kanye.

*Insert Muse Imma let you finish, but I was the best support act U2 ever had* Joke here.

I was fimilar with Muses music...but I had no idea they were gunna b that good. I was so taken-a-back...

They gained 1 new fan that night

The guy in front of me in the pit last night had nevered heard Muse before. After they started out with Knights he turned around and said "Those guys FUCKIN ROCK". My brother and I started cracking up...it seemed like everyone enjoyed Muse around me. That said, the crowd last night was EASILY more upbeat and energetic than night 1. Night 1 it seemed like everyone took an ambien or something before they came in

I was fimilar with Muses music...but I had no idea they were gunna b that good. I was so taken-a-back...

They gained 1 new fan that night

The guy in front of me in the pit last night had nevered heard Muse before. After they started out with Knights he turned around and said "Those guys FUCKIN ROCK". My brother and I started cracking up...it seemed like everyone enjoyed Muse around me.

You guys are really getting me excited to see MUSE for the first time in my life on 10/1 & 10/3:ohmy:

i liked muse. almost as much as pj harvey on the elevation tour.But i also knew somewhat of her before i got to those shows.

Highlights of both shows for me: Ultraviolet (Night 1), UF, NLOTH :drool:, Stuck in a moment (the slight rain was awesome), New Years Day, and even though he screwed up Stay just brought tears to my eyes.

Bono introducing the band was amazing.

When Stay came on, I was shouting, "Green light, 7-11!!" while Bono was singing, "Red light, grey morning". People around me gave me a dirty look thinking I'm an idiot for singing the wrong lyrics.

Bono, you managed to tarnish my reputation as a U2 fan in a matter of seconds... :lol:

UTEOTW brought goosebumps. That song is meant to be played at EVERY concert. Period. I'm all for switching SBS with UTEOTW as the anthem. And Streets always lifts me up. My tears are reserved for IGWSHA and When I Look at the World.

When Stay came on, I was shouting, "Green light, 7-11!!" while Bono was singing, "Red light, grey morning". People around me gave me a dirty look thinking I'm an idiot for singing the wrong lyrics.

Bono, you managed to tarnish my reputation as a U2 fan in a matter of seconds... :lol:

UTEOTW brought goosebumps. That song is meant to be played at EVERY concert. Period. I'm all for switching SBS with UTEOTW as the anthem. And Streets always lifts me up. My tears are reserved for IGWSHA and When I Look at the World.

I did the same thing when Stay started. The guy next to me in the pit knew the words too and goes to me "You think anyone many other people here will realize he fucked up?". It was a pretty funny moment :lol:

UTEOTW is THE song I hear in my head whenever I think of U2. That riff...

I sang the "right" lyrics too...so did my friend...at first we were all confused then we realized Bono had messed up...

I kept thinking of that "The Whitest Kids You Know" skit...

"Now you fucked up...YOU HAVE FUCKED UP (BONO)"

So was that kid Bono pulled up just a random kid?

this was my first and only u2 show of the tour....and my complaints after seeing it...is NOTHING!!!!!

It was perfection. Everything was great, the band was in top form, the crowd was great, the stage and lighting was spectacular. Setlist was great.

Everything was just perfect. In my mind it beats out Elevation and Vertigo, the other 2 u2 tours I've been to.

I'm going to try and do the DC show this week after seeing it. Amazing.

Back
Top Bottom