Gavin Friday talks new U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
all you need to do is read the first post of the thread. nothing else to follow except typical post-Pop banter.

Hmmmm, yeah, sorry Gavin, but you've been hanging too much with Bono. I don't believe it until I get an official announcement.

Hmmmm, yeah, sorry Gavin, but you've been hanging too much with Bono. I don't believe it until I get an official announcement.

Agreed. But i do like that a consistent theme of what little hype we have got so far is that the danger mouse sessions have yielded very different sounding material :up:

I'd be more worried if the recurring line was something like "back to basics", "back to the classic sound that made us great in the first place". That could present great material too, but i'm definitely more excited by the idea of something new. Still, yeah this is just hype... for all we know the new material could end up sounding very 'classic u2'.

I'm not really sure an official announcement here is relevant. To me the main (and only) takeaway is his description of the music not sounding like anything U2 have done before. I'm much more interested in descriptions of the new music, possible song titles and all that than I am in vague release dates, and a year is quite the vague time frame.

They said that same thing about NLOTH. That it sounded like nothing they had done before....

It's the new Edge is on Fire.

Not sure what an announcement there is going to remedy. Not going to believe it sounds different until an official announcement comes out from U2's official website or official record label? That'll just have even more spin and buzz from Bono and co.

here's the post so you dont have to go over there

just had a listen to gavin friday on the radio in ireland early this morning when asked about u2s new album he did not seem to want to say too much but he did say he thought it would be out in 2013 and he had listened to some of the songs dangermouse was working on and they sounded very different to anything he had heard u2 do before (that concerns me a little) oh and he said the edge was on fire ok that part was not true

I do remember some talk about exploring all this new musical terrain last time and by the time the tectonic plates shifted, human civilization ground into dust and the band finally released NLOTH they'd sanded off almost all the rough edges. I'm sure it sounds different in 2012, but I also suspect will.i.am will be getting a panicked phone call in 2013.

Here's the full exchange posted on atu2.com main page :

Murray: Is it true they have a new record in the pipeline? They have a few new records in the pipeline, don't they?

Friday: They always have a new record in the pipeline and it's always their best. "Can you just shut up and just make it?" (laughs) -- is my advice.

Murray: Have you heard the new material?

Friday: I've heard a bit of -- Danger Mouse is producing it, so it's quite different.

Murray: Is there a release date yet?

Friday: I don't know with them. Next year, maybe.

only when we hear Steve Lillywhite is in da house can we assume they are anywhere near contemplating releasing it. They are probably going to spend the next eight months mulling over whether it sounds "U2 enough".

i think U2 are playing a dodgy PR game this time round... it's been so long between releases, and people are just really jaded and sick of the usual throwaway comments and losing interest, fast...

by the time this thing does come out we will be past caring LOL

I saw Norah Jones last night, and at one point she talked about Danger Mouse, how he produced her latest album, and then she played something off the Rome CD she did with DM and Jack White.

I refrained from screaming out from the back "WHAT DOES DANGER MOUSE SAY ABOUT THE NEW U2 RECORD??????"

Yes, but only because I can't throw that far and just would have clomped someone on the head with it.

all you need to do is read the first post of the thread. nothing else to follow except typical post-Pop banter.

We do plenty of that here too, of course. I just wish people would realize that it is fine to say "I don't like this album" as opposed to trying to justify your views with nonsensical "U2 lost their artistic integrity" - whatever that means. The irony is that U2 have had "crap" on all of their albums (IMO) and I would argue that some of this "artistic integrity" that people find so dominant on "Pop" and earlier albums can be readily challenged. But I digress.

Back on topic, if U2 sound "different", I hope they go with it. If it doesn't work, they can always put out something different. I'm not so sure how many "hits" U2 could create now, even if the work is astounding. The age factor is tough to overcome, sadly.

I just wish people would realize that it is fine to say "I don't like this album" as opposed to trying to justify your views with nonsensical "U2 lost their artistic integrity" - whatever that means. The irony is that U2 have had "crap" on all of their albums (IMO) and I would argue that some of this "artistic integrity" that people find so dominant on "Pop" and earlier albums can be readily challenged.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom