Game of Thrones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I want to watch with my best friend, but he can't make it Sunday, so I'm going to try to resist until we can hang out Tuesday... it's less than 48 hours... I can make it, right?

Right?

Not if I come here or any of my other pop culture hang outs. Gah!!!

If I were you, I'd watch it tonight and again on Tuesday, pretending I was seeing it for the first time with my best friend. :wink:

Winter is here.

joyfulgirl said:
If I were you, I'd watch it tonight and again on Tuesday, pretending I was seeing it for the first time with my best friend. :wink:

* SPOILER *

I can make it, I swear! I'll just have to wait for Tuesday night to join in here. I'm rewatching S1 in the mean time.

I'm out for now.

Fucking brilliant.

Tyrion strollin into King's Landing with his dick out, the inventor of cool, bossin people around, droppin one liners.

Bran being the fucking boss and kicking ass in Winterfell.

Sansa being way smarter than Joffrey.

A sort of cheesy and slightly off (but promising) introduction to the whole Daenerys/baby dragons/wandering the desert plot line.

The crazy dude who bangs his daughters asking Jon Snow (the least interesting regular character) if he has a wet twat between his legs.

Carcetti getting owned by that bitch Cersei.

And they give our girl Arya the closing shot of the episode...being a complete badass sitting on the back of some cart and getting wheeled off into a weirdly picturesque and creepy forest looking place.

Let's go. House Stark forever.

Fucking brilliant.

Tyrion strollin into King's Landing with his dick out, the inventor of cool, bossin people around, droppin one liners.

"It must be hard for you, being the disappointing child."

That opening scene was fantastic. As was the last scene. And all the scenes in between.

In addition to all you said, I also liked Robb sticking it to Jaime, Cersei smacking her miserable brat king, and the Red Woman is an interesting new character.

Damn, this show is perfection.

Season 2 debuts to series-best ratings, 27% above prior best, 53% over the season 1 average, and 74% above the series premiere.

Vulture speculated that the news was so good that HBO may double down with a 4th season order because the next book is so unwieldy huge.

Wow, there's so much going on, but there were so many killer scenes in that. Tops for me have to be these though:

-The war of words between Robb & Jaime, the lighting in that scene made it even more fantastic
-Robb's negotiations with the Lannister cousin
-Cersei vs. Whoremaster

I'm firmly Team Robb now despite my love of Danerys, & Renly's awesome crown.

In the absence of Ned Stark, Tyrion Lannister continues to own the show.

Other highlight : Melisandra (makes up for the - so far - pale Stannis).

I think the fact that he's so matter of fact & uptight makes him quite entertaining. "SER Jaime Lannister, Kingslayer, whatever he maybe he's still a knight". :lol:

Stannis is supposed to be dull. That's how he's written, apparently.

If by "this" you mean the books, I'd rather let the TV series surprise me & not feel the need to nitpick it as an adaptation.

If by "this" you mean the books, I'd rather let the TV series surprise me & not feel the need to nitpick it as an adaptation.

So far, no nitpicks. Probably has something to do with George R.R. Martin being involved with it.

Yet Kirkman has been involved since day 1 with Walking Dead, and that show is a consistent disappointment. :sad:

George R.R. Martin may have more television experience as he worked on shows in the past, so he's more familiar with the adaptation process.

A friend who's read the books says the TV series is too heavy-handed, that the books are way more rowdy and fun, and complains that every scene has the same weight, and that Tyrion especially is disappointing because he's a lot more fun in the books. So you'd disagree with that, tourist?

I also like Jon Snow a lot, mofo.

Couldn't disagree more.

I actually like Jon Snow the Bastard, too. He's cool. He reps House Stark and he's good friends with Arya.

What I should have said instead of "least interesting character" was "least interesting Season 1 story line". For me. I thought the show dragged a bit every time that they jumped locations to The Night's Watch and focused on his story out in the cold with his fat friend. Especially after Tyrion left. So, basically the last half of the season. Nothing happened, really. There was that one fight with the zombie or whatever but other than that...meh.

And the biggest reason why I thought Jon Snow's Season 1 story line was my least favorite of the season?

There were no women. Ever. It's the women that run the world. Both in real life and in Westeros. I don't want to watch an entire plot line completely devoid of females.

Now that he's chillin' at that creepy dude's house beyond the Wall and they introduced Cassie from Skins (who I hope gets a lot of screen time)...I think I'll be more interested.

Definitely separate threads for book talk. I've already had it spoiled that Bran begins to walk again and does the Cupid Shuffle at Robb's wedding to his direwolf.

What I should have said instead of "least interesting character" was "least interesting Season 1 story line". For me. I thought the show dragged a bit every time that they jumped locations to The Night's Watch and focused on his story out in the cold with his fat friend.

There were no women. Ever. It's the women that run the world. Both in real life and in Westeros.

Gotta agree with you there. In S1 I liked the idea of Jon Snow much more than his actual storyline. I felt like I was always waiting for his story to actually begin.

And you have a very healthy, and quite accurate, perception of women. :)

Definitely separate threads for book talk. I've already had it spoiled that ...

Well, I hope you just made that shit up and didn't just spoil more people (i.e., me).

I really like that the AV Club's has two reviews/discussions for those who have read the books and those who haven't.

corianderstem said:
Well, I hope you just made that shit up and didn't just spoil more people (i.e., me).

I tried to make it as nonsensical and dumb as possible to prove it wasn't real. I have had actual shit spoiled though, stuff I obviously wouldn't bring up here.

I was wondering that by the second thing you said (because I couldn't even tell what it was supposed to mean, ha ha), but the first thing seemed like something that could happen. I mean shit, why not? If you can have dragons, why not magic leg-healing spells or whatever.

I should have guessed. :)

A friend who's read the books says the TV series is too heavy-handed, that the books are way more rowdy and fun, and complains that every scene has the same weight, and that Tyrion especially is disappointing because he's a lot more fun in the books. So you'd disagree with that, tourist?

Yes, I would most definitely disagree with that. Firstly about Tyrion. He is very fun in the books, that is true. But I would not at all say he is more fun in the show. He is probably my favorite character in both book and show, though, so that may skew my opinion.

Also, if the television show is heavy-handed, then so is the book. In my opinion, anyone who says different is just showing a bit of elitism on the whole "I've read the books any you haven't? Oh yes, the books are sooooo much better" realm of things. In my opinion, the books are only slightly better insofar as to say that they have just a little bit more depth (as books always do).

Though from the sounds of fan reactions to the last two hopefully they'll begin to deviate from the source material much moreso later on.

And to whoever mentioned it, yes, I also love how the AV Club split their reviews & discussion threads in two, gives us a spoiler free safe zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom